• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Are you kidding me?

I thought this was a joke when I first heard about it. From.

Man, 92, wins $1.9 million tobacco judgment in wife's death
Story Highlights
Leon Barbanell's wife smoked two packs a day for more than 50 years

Six jurors deliberated for a day, put the total award at $5.3 million

Jury determined Philip Morris USA was only 36.5 percent responsible

Anti-smoking advocate: "Tobacco litigation is alive and well"

(CNN) -- A Florida jury awarded a 92-year-old man $1.9 million in compensatory damages for the death of his wife, a former two-pack-a-day Marlboro smoker who started when she was 16 and died in her 70s, attorneys said Thursday.

The jury of five women and one man deliberated for slightly more than a day before deciding on the amount, attorneys for both sides said. The jurors put the total award at $5.3 million but found that Philip Morris USA was only 36.5 percent responsible for the lung cancer that plaintiffs said killed Leon Barbanell's wife.

Shirley Barbanell herself was deemed 63.5 percent responsible, the attorneys said.

Plaintiff's attorney Jonathan Gdanski said the jury found a design defect and a breach of warranty.

Philip Morris announced that it plans to appeal the case, one of thousands of "Engle progeny" cases, named after a 2006 Florida Supreme Court decision that decertified a class-action lawsuit against the tobacco industry. That case involved Dr. Howard A. Engle, a Miami Beach pediatrician and smoker who served as the lead plaintiff in the class-action suit.

The decertification decision let former class members file lawsuits individually, and thousands did.

The Florida Supreme Court also allowed some factual findings about smoking causing disease be taken from Engle case and applied to the progeny cases "so plaintiff's attorneys don't have to start from square one in each of these cases," said Ed Sweda, a lawyer for the Tobacco Products Liability Project in Boston, Massachusetts.

The industry has balked at that. "Today's verdict is the result of a severely prejudicial trial plan," said Murray Garnick, Altria Client Services senior vice president and associate general counsel, speaking on behalf of Philip Morris USA, in a written statement. "From beginning to end, this case was marked by legal rulings that should be reversed on appeal, including allowing this jury to rely almost exclusively on findings by a prior jury that have no direct connection with the plaintiff in this case."

So far, six of the eight Engle cases that have gone to trial have come back with a plaintiff's verdict, said Sweda. "Another bunch are in the pipeline ready for trial this year," he said.

About Thursday's verdict, he said, "This is certainly a clear indication that tobacco litigation is alive and well."

Gdanski said his firm has more than 150 Engle cases. "We're more than happy to keep trying them," he said.

Instead of spending all this money on healthcare reform, they need to reform our legal system. these frivolous lawsuits are out of control. i am so suprised someone has not won a fat lawsuit yet. i ate 3 cheeseburgers a day at mcdonalds and so now im gonna sue bc im fat. some principal with smoking!

I will sue Acura for making the NSX slower than the Mustang GT or Charger R/T.

To continue with the ridiculous jury verdict, if she was two thirds responsible, then shouldn't her estate have to pay the remainder of the $5.3 million to someone? Maybe to the tobacco company, to cover their legal costs in a case where the jury said that she was more at fault than them?

Nick

I've got a good one for you guys. About 15 years ago my father saw a patient and gave her a differential diagnosis which included oral cancer. The biopsy came back negative, however she sued him for suffering from "cancer phobia". The case actually went to trial! However, during the proceedings the patient was seen smoking outside the building during a recess. It was interesting that she never disclosed a history of smoking to my father, the referring doctor, or the insurance company. When the trial resumed my fathers attorney requested the patient be questioned on the spot. She admitted to smoking and the case was dismissed. Our legal system is tremendously flawed and abused.

Ok so this woman smokes 2 packs of cigarettes a day from the age 16 and dies in her 70's. The average life expectancy of a woman in the US is about 77.

Anybody else doing the math? If anything, this is proof that cigarettes are NOT harmful to your health. She lived to an average age, and smoked 2 packs almost during the entire time. I don't know but if someone told me drinking 2 beers a day would kill me and I did it every day from the age of 16 and lived into my 70's I'd tell them they were full of crap.

Ok so this woman smokes 2 packs of cigarettes a day from the age 16 and dies in her 70's. The average life expectancy of a woman in the US is about 77.

Anybody else doing the math? If anything, this is proof that cigarettes are NOT harmful to your health. She lived to an average age, and smoked 2 packs almost during the entire time. I don't know but if someone told me drinking 2 beers a day would kill me and I did it every day from the age of 16 and lived into my 70's I'd tell them they were full of crap.

+1 I'm not a smoker but in this case It doesn't look like cigs cut off any of her time as we don't know her full history. A side note I did have the owner of a hotdog stand sell me a hotdog and he talked through that robot voice thing on through his neck. it totally reaffirmed my descision to not start that.

Losers pay! That is the most fundamental rule that the US judicial system fails to follow. This failure is responsible for ALL the social injustices and wastages of resources in this country. Reforming health care? Mr. President, how about reforming your own profession first?
I am going to sue the toilet paper company. I once used a brand new roll as a fire escape ladder and I fell and broke my ass. Apparently it is not as tough as the manufacturer claims.
Steve

Without being too technical, this proves/disproves nothing about the harm cigarettes cause.

Back