• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Aston Martin DB9 Volante

I've been tempted by ads and pictures of the Aston Martin DB9 Volante, while surfing on cars.com. Although not as striking as the NSX, the subdued elegance seems alluring. In addition, the 12 cyl should emit a very pleasant exhaust note, even at idle. Finally, as I age, the prospect of a paddle shifter in lieu of a clutch is really appealing. '06 convertables seem to be priced around $140-150K. I have only put 7500 miles on my NSX since new in '02, so I don't believe I drive enough to have large mainteneance issues, if that is indeed a concern with an Aston Martin. The car just appears to be more attractive than a F430 Spider, at half the cost. So I was just wondering if anyone has ever driven one, or has any input as to the drive/maintenance pros/cons etc. Thanks for your feedback.

I've been tempted by ads and pictures of the Aston Martin DB9 Volante, while surfing on cars.com. Although not as striking as the NSX, the subdued elegance seems alluring. In addition, the 12 cyl should emit a very pleasant exhaust note, even at idle. Finally, as I age, the prospect of a paddle shifter in lieu of a clutch is really appealing. '06 convertables seem to be priced around $140-150K. I have only put 7500 miles on my NSX since new in '02, so I don't believe I drive enough to have large mainteneance issues, if that is indeed a concern with an Aston Martin. The car just appears to be more attractive than a F430 Spider, at half the cost. So I was just wondering if anyone has ever driven one, or has any input as to the drive/maintenance pros/cons etc. Thanks for your feedback.

Dragged on of them in New Port Beach Cali with my 2003. I beat him, by a lot. The guy looked pissed. Regardless, it was a beautiful car. I think for the price, you can get a Gallardo and have a better driving experience.

Dragged on of them in New Port Beach Cali with my 2003. I beat him, by a lot. The guy looked pissed. Regardless, it was a beautiful car. I think for the price, you can get a Gallardo and have a better driving experience.

Or, skip the Italian suit of the Gallardo, and buy the real thing:

AudiR8.jpg

Coreyco I have driven several. I almost bought a Vantage before my NSX. There is NO COMPARISON when it comes to interiors or materials quality, honestly my 05 NSX's interior bits and pieces are 90's Accord. Click that turn signal lever, press the chintzy plastic buttons, or touch the plastic center console, really these NSX parts are more fit for a civic than a $90,000 car. But that is not what the NSX is about.

A DB9 in terms of its quality of parts is eons beyond an NSX.

The DB9 is a GT cruiser, the NSX is a pure sports car. I prefer a sports car for a non-daily driven car. Its just more fun, the DB9 is a lot more comfortable. It is also one of the best looking cars period IMO.

The AM will still take a pretty good hit in terms of depreciation. More so than a Ferrari and a world more than an NSX. If this is not a concern for you, go drive one. Its a terrific car. Quick, comfortable, well balanced with a symphony for an exhaust note. Stylish as they come. If you do care about losing 40K in 2 years, then keep the NSX.

It's a beautiful car if you are looking for an elegant GT. You may not have large maintenance issues but I believe that the other exotics are far ahead of Aston in terms of reliability.

As a GT car, the DB9 will put a smile on your face every time you look at it, sit in it, turn up the stereo, and take it for a drive.

Back