• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

AT&T SIM Card question

I have an AT&T prepaid telephone plan. I lost my phone and got a new one from AT&T. When they sent the new phone it had a SIM card with a new telephone number. I want my old telephone number, plus my old account has $100 prepaid balance in it. AT&T told me I need a new, unused SIM card. My question is...do I just need a AT&T card, or are there different types of AT&T SIM cards? Is it one type fits all?

Thanks in advance.

If you have an account with ATT, then you can just go to the store and have them issue you a new sim card with the same phone number attached. I did this for my dad's phone and there was no charge. I don't know how this works with prepaid plans, because my account is a regular family plan.

I don't know about ATT. However, you should disable the prepaid phone/SIM card immediately. You can request for a credit on old SIM and get transferred on to new one. I don't know about number portability. Good luck!

Thanks for the insight. I reported that I lost the phone within 20 minutes of realizing it was lost. They locked the account right away and it was not accessed. I am able to retrieve my old number on my new phone, but I need a new SIM card. I realize I can go to an AT&T store and get a new SIM card, but I live in San Francisco and that means I'll probably have to take a taxi to the store and back. It would be cheaper to purchase one on Amazon for $3, call AT&T, give them the SIM card number and have them activate it. (One of the very few disadvantages of living in San Francisco.)

Prepaid and "regular plan" simcards are different so if you buy the one from amazon it may not work. Ask AT&T if they can mail it to you.

Last edited:
OK. Thanks. Guess it's a taxi back and forth.

OK. Thanks. Guess it's a taxi back and forth.

Just a quick FYI: Make sure you don't go into an ATT reseller...go to a corporate store.

The resellers will try and fee you to death. When I switched to ATT prepaid from Sprint prepaid, I went into a reseller with an unlocked ATT phone and came away with this scenario:

1. I'd have to buy a new phone
2. I'd have to change my number
3. I'd have to purchase a new SIM ($20)

I knew something was wrong with that picture so: Went into an ATT Corporate store...they ported my number, gave me a free SIM and, wonders will never cease, the unlocked GSM blackberry I bought worked.

Good luck.

Back