• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Atheist who does NOT want kids

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious how many of us out there. This is not a thread for those parents who wish to talk about the joys of parenthood. Or, those who wish to gush on how the lord changed their lives.

Who is on the same page as I am?

Im an athiest and do not want kids, but im 23 so i might change my mind. But im guessing no, im single atm, and probably will continue to be for a while.

Atheism has many cultic characteristecs. Worshipping of infallible, idolized cult leaders, Lenin, Stalin, Mao Tse Tung, Pol Pot, Castro, Ho Chi Minh, Kim Jong-il, Kim il-sung, Jim Jones and now Richard Dawkins to name just a few. Atheism is an intolerant set of beliefs that proclaims that all other beliefs are false and that the atheist way is the only "true way". Amazing how atheists will NEVER disagree with one another! No freedom of thought is allowed. Just like members of any other dangerous mind control cult. And the way atheists ridicule and denigrate all others who don't believe as they do is certainly cultic.

Atheism has many cultic characteristecs. Worshipping of infallible, idolized cult leaders, Lenin, Stalin, Mao Tse Tung, Pol Pot, Castro, Ho Chi Minh, Kim Jong-il, Kim il-sung, Jim Jones and now Richard Dawkins to name just a few. Atheism is an intolerant set of beliefs that proclaims that all other beliefs are false and that the atheist way is the only "true way". Amazing how atheists will NEVER disagree with one another! No freedom of thought is allowed. Just like members of any other dangerous mind control cult. And the way atheists ridicule and denigrate all others who don't believe as they do is certainly cultic.
I have a feeling that the thread is not going to last long. In before the lock.:tongue:
Steve

As an Athiest and a parent I would have to say that I never have felt the need to worship any of the figures mentioned in the last post. And I certainly have never tried to force my beliefs on any other person, unlike ALL religions.

Atheist or not, is your choice obviously not to have children.

I'm not sure I completely understand the link between not having children and Athiesm.

well I read an article the other day about this what do you guys think about this?

"
Why Intuition Makes People More Likely to Believe in God

medium_churchtop.jpg
The nature of faith is often a thorny topic for psychology and other sciences to grapple with, but a new study indicates a powerful link between how we think and what we believe. It all goes back to intuition. <!-- %JUMP:More »% -->
Harvard researchers have found that people with a more intuitive thinking style tend to believe in God more strongly than those with a more reflective thinking style. For the purposes of this study, intuition is thought of as the tendency to rely on first instincts and to reach decisions quickly and then stick by them. Reflection, on the other hand, is a slower process that involves questioning initial instincts and looking at a wider range of alternatives. The researchers argue that these two thinking styles can deeply influence how people understand the nature of the universe.
Researcher Amitai Shenhav explains:
"We wanted to explain variations in belief in God in terms of more basic cognitive processes. Some say we believe in God because our intuitions about how and why things happen lead us to see a divine purpose behind ordinary events that don't have obvious human causes. This led us to ask whether the strength of an individual's beliefs is influenced by how much they trust their natural intuitions versus stopping to reflect on those first instincts."
The study enlisted 882 participants with an average age of 33 and 64% female composition. The participants first filled out an online survey about their belief in a higher power and were then given a cognitive test. There were three math questions, all of which had an obvious but incorrect intuitive answer. Here's a sample question
"A bat and a ball cost $1.10 in total. The bat costs $1 more than the ball. How much does the ball cost?"
Most people's first instinct will be to say ten cents, but the correct answer is five cents (the bat costs $1.05). Those who get the right answer reveal a more reflective thinking style, while those who get it wrong are more likely to be intuitive thinkers. Those who gave the intuitive (and incorrect) answers to all three questions were 1.5 times more likely to say they were certain of God's existence than those who got all three questions correct.
The researchers stress that this isn't a question of intelligence. Those who got the questions right (and, by extension, are less likely to believe in the divine) aren't necessarily smarter than those who got it wrong. Instead, it's more that the way they think work makes it more likely for them to get these particular question right than their peers.
Researcher David Rand explains:
"Basic ways of thinking about problem solving in your everyday life are predictive of how much you believe in God. It's not that one way is better than the other. Intuitions are important and reflection is important, and you want some balance of the two. Where you are on that spectrum affects how you come out in terms of belief in God."
A subsequent study also suggests that it's actually possible to temporarily influence a person's level of faith. The researchers enlisted 373 participants and had them write a paragraph about something good that had happened to them. For one half of the group, they were asked to write about a time when intuitive thinking led to a good result, while the other was asked to remember a time that reflection had helped them make the right decision. When surveyed afterward, the first group was significantly more likely to say they were convinced of God's existence than their peers.
The larger meaning of all this is tricky to determine, and in all probability controversial. The researchers do argue that this is evidence for a causal link between intuition and belief in a higher power, although they concede that the opposite is possible — that it's actually an abiding belief in the divine that leads people to more intuitive thought processes. This also adds more support for the possibility that spiritual beliefs evolved in kind with intuitive thought processes — which is the kind of quick decision-making that would be very useful in evading ancient predators — but that's a whole other, deeply tricky issue that's best left for another time."

I think he is simply trying to find out how many others feel as he does on those two points.He pretty much clarified his position and desire to not wander off into tangent rantville:wink: Btw I think he is a mature fellow so obviusly this is a lasting lifestyle choice for him.

I could be wrong but I don't think the OP is referring to the extreme strict sense of being an Atheist.

I do not believe in (insert whichever religion you must). That make me an Atheist?

I believe religion was created to control people and their flow of money; be it for good or for bad. There is no denying that. A lot of people need to believe in something so they turn to religion. Its when its taken to extremes is when issues come about.

I don't care what you practice or hold it against you unless you fall into what I concider the "extremist category"

Last edited:
or this one i found the other day to

Intelligent people 'less likely to believe in God'

People with higher IQs are less likely to believe in God, according to a new study.

michelangelo-creati_678334c.jpg
Professor Lynn said religious belief had declined in the 20th century Photo: AP

By Graeme Paton, Education Editor

8:03PM BST 11 Jun 2008

Professor Richard Lynn, emeritus professor of psychology at Ulster University, said many more members of the "intellectual elite" considered themselves atheists than the national average.

A decline in religious observance over the last century was directly linked to a rise in average intelligence, he claimed.

But the conclusions - in a paper for the academic journal Intelligence - have been branded "simplistic" by critics.

Professor Lynn, who has provoked controversy in the past with research linking intelligence to race and sex, said university academics were less likely to believe in God than almost anyone else.

A survey of Royal Society fellows found that only 3.3 per cent believed in God - at a time when 68.5 per cent of the general UK population described themselves as believers.

Of course people who are Athiests are going to say all other religions are wrong. Their belief in itself is an exact opposite to what most other religions believe in. I like to claim I fall in the group of "I don't care, who gives a s**t! That might make me fall into the more Athiest side of the bunch. At the moment I'm not wanting to have children seeing as modern day society makes it very difficult to raise a kid properly. Plus kids are very deceptive and I don't like deceptive people especially when they are small size :D hehe.

Last edited:
Smart people cannot believe in GOD? That's just not true.

Guys he just wants to hear from athiests who also don't want kids...his association no more no less....all the other posts are just worthless to the topic except its friday its raining and some of us just wanna type..:rolleyes:

Guys he just wants to hear from athiests who also don't want kids...his association no more no less....all the other posts are just worthless to the topic except its friday its raining and some of us just wanna type..:rolleyes:

I have 2 more hours of work and I was hoping for a time killer :biggrin:

I could be wrong but I don't think the OP is referring to the extreme strict sense of being an Atheist.

I do not believe in (insert whichever religion you must). That make me an Atheist?

I believe religion was created to control people and their flow of money; be it for good or for bad. There is no denying that. A lot of people need to believe in something so they turn to religion. Its when its taken to extremes is when issues come about.

I don't care what you practice or hold it against you unless you fall into what I concider the "extremist category"

I agree with the above 100 percent. "god, or whatever" is inside of us and comes out in the way we treat others and the things we do. Religion is a whole different story, created to control the masses.

Atheist, with three atheist children.

Best Regards,

Danny

Atheist with one kid here (wife's from a previous marriage). No plans to have my 'own', but couldn't be happier with our son. I get to have soooo many hobbies under the pretext of "something for us to do together" that I doubt she'd tolerate without him lol :) His interests mirror my own, so I'm never without a buddy to hang out with.

As for atheism being a group or cult? I don't believe in Unicorns either, but I'm not sure what the name is for that. I never understood how NOT believing in something makes you a group / has a title.

I'm not sure I completely understand the link between not having children and Athiesm.

There's no link. I'm an atheist, and I have (and wanted) two kids. Maybe some kind of Darwinian need to propagate my genes? Who can say, but I love my girls.

I predict a very short life for this thread.

I think that the way the question is posed is throwing me (possibly others? ) off. Are you saying that your atheism causes you to not want kids? I just don't see how the two are connected.

As for atheism being a group or cult? I don't believe in Unicorns either, but I'm not sure what the name is for that. I never understood how NOT believing in something makes you a group / has a title.
+1. There are two types of Atheism: "I don't believe in god" and "I believe there is no god". The second is the active form and places responsibility on the individual to prove himself, which is and impossible task. No cults here.

Best Regards,

Danny

Why are we discussing this? I mean, do we need to make points about this?? Atheist or not, any person can chose w/e the hell they want to believe and if they want children or not regardless the belief ...

Free will everyone Free will! :) ..don't confuse with

free_willy.jpg

Have a great weekend everyone!

Oscar

I don't understand why the OP had to post his religion, beliefs or faith in order to discuss the merits of not wanting to have kids.

Just post "Not interested in having kids - who else feels this way?". Simple.

With this in mind and as per the policy of the site I'm locking this thread down. I feel it will get out of hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back