• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Attention Blitzsafe users - info needed

Thanks for the advice! Everything is ordered and I will update as soon as the install is complete.

I am proud to say that (with the help of this thread), for the most part, my install went well. Here are the components I ordered:

- Blitzsafe HON/ALP V.1D
- ACUALP Adapter
- Smartenna

The only problem I had was the well known issue that Honda uses a slightly different pin configuration than Alpine (i.e. - the Blitzsafe device and ACUALP adapter) in the connectors it uses. I simply could not bring myself to force the stock Honda cable into the Alpine style connectors. Amazingly enough, I actually had some Molex pins and sockets that fit both the Honda and Alpine connectors. As you can see from the picture, I made eight little cable assemblies (yellow wires with yellow heatshrink tubing) to connect the devices.

I am happy to report that I have no problems switching back and forth on the OEM head unit between CD changer and AUX input (using the 1-4-1 method). The sound when playing music through my MP3 player sounds great (through both right and left speakers) and I am now ready to install XM radio!

Thanks to everyone for their input into this thread as I could not have done it without you!

(hopefully the pictures are attached!)

Attachments

• 100_0189.jpg
    100_0189.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 157
  • 100_0191.jpg
    100_0191.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 144
After reviewing the great writ-ups below, I am planning to install my IPOD using the Blitzsafe Hon/M-Link 1 V.1D. I have a couple of questions.

1) Should I mount the Blitzsafe in the trunk?

2) Does the Blitzsafe come with the cable that will connect it directly to the iPod? If yes, is the cable long enough to reach the coin tray in the center console? If not, could you recommend an extension.

3) As I have a 4th Gen iPod, it seems to fit perfectly into the coin tray. I would like to run the cable from under the tray and just have the metal part of the connector come through the tray (not the plastic) so I can plug in the iPod. Has anyone done this? How did you mount the connector to the tray? I am looking for a very clean, nearly invisible installation.

Just starting to get my thoughts together. Since it is single digits outside, too cold to be playing around in the garage right now.

Thanks for your advice/Input.

If you plan to use a smartenna you must and follow the diagram on first page.
There is a new one however with integrated ipod plug that also charges the unit - you can plug that in the head unit if you don't plan for smartenna

The one with the integrated plug is what I was planning on using. As per the writ-ups below, I thought there was an issue with mating the head unit with the Blitzsafe connector - without force fitting. Is that not true with the newer one??

I have a Shark II, so the Smartenna is a non-issue, I also plan to keep the cd changer active.

Thanks

Re: Attention Blitzsafe users - Help Needed!! Missing something??

:confused:
The one with the integrated plug is what I was planning on using. As per the writ-ups below, I thought there was an issue with mating the head unit with the Blitzsafe connector - without force fitting. Is that not true with the newer one??

I have a Shark II, so the Smartenna is a non-issue, I also plan to keep the cd changer active.

Thanks

So I purchased a Blitzsafe Hon/M-Link 1 V.1D (with the new integrated plug)to hookup my Ipod. I disassembled the center console and pulled the plug out from my CD changer (Acura OEM). The connectors won't go together because the diameter of the pins on the cable going to the Changer are too big in diameter. I also purchased an ACU/ALP cable thinking that would resolve the issue - Not. The Pins on the ACU/ALP mate fine with the Blitzsafe, as they are the same size, but the ACU/ALP will note mate with the Changer cable either. I also tried hooking up the Blitzsafe from the trunk, but the pins are too big there as well.

From what I read below, the issue identified with the poor fitting connector was the configuration of the pins, vs the diameter. I am loathed to the idea to forcing them together, as that can develop a host of other potential problems.

I have read the write-up below and thought this would be a snap, but I am missing something!:confused:

Somebody Please help me.

Thanks

:confused:
From what I read below, the issue identified with the poor fitting connector was the configuration of the pins, vs the diameter. I am loathed to the idea to forcing them together, as that can develop a host of other potential problems.

By "configuration" I think you'll find if you look closely at the pins that 2 of the pins sit further away from the center from the others. A slight "Z" bend of these pins is all that is needed to align them. Freaked me out the first time too.

By "configuration" I think you'll find if you look closely at the pins that 2 of the pins sit further away from the center from the others. A slight "Z" bend of these pins is all that is needed to align them. Freaked me out the first time too.

Good call. :smile: You are correect, the two pins at the ends of the horseshoe just needed to be slightly realigned. Ipod plays fine from both speakers, but only if the Changer is not connected in the trunk. I tried the 1-4-1 method, but to no avail. :frown:

I also tried to use the ACU/ALP between the Changer and the trunk cable with no difference.

I could try the ACU/ALP adapter between the head unit and the Blitzsafe, although I don't think it would make a difference.

Thanks for the help so far. Any ideas of how to get the changer working:confused:

Thanks

What exactly is happening when you say the changer does not work (I'm assuming it used to work?) It would have already been installed with the pin swap acualp cable which it needs. I assume you know how to switch the Blitz adapter on and off?

What exactly is happening when you say the changer does not work (I'm assuming it used to work?) It would have already been installed with the pin swap acualp cable which it needs. I assume you know how to switch the Blitz adapter on and off?

What I mean is that the changer does not play when the Blitzsafe is connected. It does workplay properly when the Blitzsafe is not connected.

No, I don't know how to turn the Blitzsafe on and Off. Please explain.

Thanks

What I mean is that the changer does not play when the Blitzsafe is connected. It does workplay properly when the Blitzsafe is not connected.

No, I don't know how to turn the Blitzsafe on and Off. Please explain.

Thanks

I had the almost identical issue with the Blitzsafe. I went through 3 different Blitzsafe and ended up with the same result. I had OEM Deck, Smartenna, and Alpine CD Changer. When i hooked up the Blitzsafe with the head unit, the CD changer worked, but not IPOD. When I hooked up the Blitzsafe in the trunk with the changer, IPOD worked, but CD changer wasn't playing right (the sound of the music was distorted). It was hard to work with the connectors/plugs, but with a little force, I was able to connect them.

I got tired of messing around with it and went with an aftermarket head unit

I had the almost identical issue with the Blitzsafe. I went through 3 different Blitzsafe and ended up with the same result. I had OEM Deck, Smartenna, and Alpine CD Changer. When i hooked up the Blitzsafe with the head unit, the CD changer worked, but not IPOD. When I hooked up the Blitzsafe in the trunk with the changer, IPOD worked, but CD changer wasn't playing right (the sound of the music was distorted). It was hard to work with the connectors/plugs, but with a little force, I was able to connect them.

I got tired of messing around with it and went with an aftermarket head unit

Very frustrating!!!:confused:

I use the blitzsafe adapter with sirius radio and an aftermarket alpine cd changer so I did not have the pin problem.To use the sirius radio or ipod you must take the plastic 6 cd holder out of the player.You can not switch between cd and aux input from the radio.It simply does not despite what instructions work.I hope this helps.

....To use the sirius radio or ipod you must take the plastic 6 cd holder out of the player.You can not switch between cd and aux input from the radio.It simply does not despite what instructions work.....
I disagree - I tested the configuration per the wiring in post #6 and had no issues switching between the different sources.

My wiring is correct and I can not switch sources from the radio.Mine may be defective.If you remove the cd tray from the cd changer does yours switch to aux input as mine does?

I just ordered the Blitzsafe IPOD adapter for my 91 NSX ($97 from LOGJAM). I tried to plug it in but the plugs would barely fit into my head unit and CD plug. Really poor quality. Had to force the plugs. I finally get it plugged in and go to turn on the radio and it's dead. Guess what....blown radio fuse (10 AMP). Replaced the fuse...pops immediately. Unplug the Blitzsafe, replace the fuse.......and wala....radio works like a champ. Plug in Blitzsafe.....fuse blows again. This is where I make a colosal mistake because I'm in that mode where I'm determined to make this adapter work. I put in a 15 AMP fuse to see what happens. As soon as turn on the radio I smell something burning. Head unit is now cooked :mad: . Actually burned up one of the paths on the circuit card and part of a ribbon from the power supply. $97 to Blitzsafe to wait a week and receive this crappy quality connector that cooks my head unit. Unbelievable. Now I have to decide if I should hunt down an OEM unit or just go aftermarket. I just got done rebuilding the AMPS in all of my speakers and was pretty surprised at nice it sounded.

As soon as turn on the radio I smell something burning. Head unit is now cooked :mad: . Actually burned up one of the paths on the circuit card and part of a ribbon from the power supply. $97 to Blitzsafe to wait a week and receive this crappy quality connector that cooks my head unit. Unbelievable. Now I have to decide if I should hunt down an OEM unit or just go aftermarket. I just got done rebuilding the AMPS in all of my speakers and was pretty surprised at nice it sounded.

Yikes!!! Sorry to hear that.

I had no problems with my install - works flawlessly.

Squid2004-Consider yourself lucky. It puzzles me that so many varied results come from using the same product (assuming you used the HON M-Link V.1D). Where did you install your Blitzsafe? Any problems with the plug fit? Mine had the power lead come out the side, through a fuse and back into the unit??? Seems like cheap way to fuse an adapter. Then it was basically an in-line adapter. Not sure why it shorted out my radio.

Follow Up On Blitzsafe Adapter

In all fairness to Blitzsafe, I should mention that it wasn't their adapter that shorted out the head unit. I beleive it had more to do with the partially removed factory car phone system that shorted the radio. The power cord was cut by previous owner. It was capped but maybe it was still shorted. I am without a Helms manual at the moment but I'll check the schematics when I get one. I'm not sure why the short only showed up with the Blitzsafe adapter connected but now that the entire phone system has been removed, the Blitzsafe works as advertised.
To answer original survey:
A) V.1D
1) At head unit
2) AcuAlp adapter was used
3) OEM changer
4) Balance is functional and speakers sound like they are in phase.
5) No SmartTenna
6) System works and sounds great. Charges the IPOD as advertised. Switching between IPOD and CD is a challenge but does work. I've tried every combo of switches and its not consistent. It eventually will switch but you have to be persistent. I can get it cycle instantly by ejecting the CD cartridge from the changer but I usually don't have to resort to that.

Hey Matt,

If you switch it to control the ipod, the next time you start the car is it still set to control the ipod or do you have to switch it again?

Thanks

Hey Matt,

If you switch it to control the ipod, the next time you start the car is it still set to control the ipod or do you have to switch it again?

It stays in IPOD mode every time I shut down and start the car. (Which is why the switching between CD and IPOD thing isn't a big deal to me. I'll rarely have to do it.)

When I shut the car off the IPOD (30 GB) automatically goes to pause and the display says "charged" with the green battery. The instructions for the Blitzsafe says the IPOD will charge for 20 mins after you shut off the car but mine's always been charged already from driving. Maybe they mean if your IPOD is really low on charge and your drive is short.

Back