• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Attention parents of college students -- question about laptops for college freshman

I have 1 of 4 nephews starting college this fall. I said I'd buy him a laptop. His major is biomedical/pre-med (and not tech-heavy engineering or movie/sound production).

Like most kids, they want an Apple. Like most kids, my nephews love to drop Apple products. I've asked him to inquire about expected computer needs (mostly: is there any reason a PC would be better than an Apple? Is there any reason a touchscreen computer (therefore deferring to a PC) would be mandatory or preferred?). No answers yet. I know when I was in undergrad in the early 90's, engineering school strongly suggested we stick with PC's, but I'd like to think the gap has significantly closed regarding that. I'd also like to avoid any idea of using Parallels/emulators on any Mac, to be able to use a PC on a Mac, for reasons of: he's not that tech-thinking, and I'd worry about memory usage should he get a MacBook Air and 256g max SSD drive. (It's crazy how much Apple gouges you for a 512g or 1tb SSD...it's crazy how much Apple gouges you PERIOD...how much free cash do they need...).

I'm looking for general experience/comments/thoughts from parents in or having gone thru the college-student-computer-scenario here. Have you found your kids significantly benefitting from a touchscreen PC, and/or hindered in any way with having an Apple MacBook Air or Pro?

Me, I'd prefer getting him a new $400-500 max non-touchscreen PC over a $1000-1200 Apple for all the obvious reasons. More recovery room for the likely (inevitable?) drop/fail within the first 2 semesters, including more ease of easy upgrades & battery replacement (vs. the awful all-integrated nearly-impossible-to-upgrade current Apple Macs). But then there's the risk of him fouling up a PC from ???? downloads, as my personal impression after having owned Apples/Macs myself since 2006 is that: yes Macs are still better at virus rejection than PC's (feel free to correct/comment there), and unfortunately it seems like all effective PC virus/spy/gatekeeper type programs really slow down your use of the PC.

Anyway - for the typical non-engineering non-movie-producing college student, what have yinz been doing for your kids computers in undergrad? Any success or horror stories to share? Thanks in advance. Want to move on a decision in the next week or two.

I'd just give him $500-1000 in cash to go "towards" a computer. That way you can kind of stipulate where your gift should go (and he can choose what he wants), but you'd come out a much cooler uncle in the end. Everyone wins and you especially saved time not stressing on Apple products.

Last edited:
I got a one generation old (Generation 4th), still new condition Thinkpad Lenovo X1 with SSD i5, no touch screen 1080 for $800 on craigslist. One of the best laptop IMO. It is new for $1400+, so you need to spend sometime in sourcing the used market. People sell new open box laptops all the time because companies gets deals on laptops and employees just sell them if they don't need it.

Regarding MAC or PC, I am still a PC guy, but I use an Iphone. So I cannot give you suggestion. Honestly, I am pretty updated on tech when I was a kid so it seems easy to know what I need and want. I guess kids these day do not care too much about computer spec, as long as it has a big hard drive and screen, and an apple logo, it is all they care.

The Macbook Pro is an excellent product, do add AppleCare for the added coverage of external/internals.

THX! I just don't want to spend $1500-1800 for the computer & apple care my 18 year old nephew who loves, and I mean loves, to drop Apple products. I get apple care with all mine. I'm looking specifically for any parents who have seen what their college students need during college -- was not having a touchscreen an issue? Was there any deficiency going with an Apple vs. sticking to the tried-&-true windows/pc platform...

I guess kids these day do not care too much about computer spec, as long as it has a big hard drive and screen, and an apple logo, it is all they care.

AMEN to that. When it's his money, he can buy whatever he wants! I want to get him something that should last 4 years of college if he doesn't drop it too often or spill something on it or open up dumb emails that pollute his system. And if I spend $400-500, I could conceivably by another if the worst happens and still pay 2/3 of what I would have spent for an Apple. Looking to hear from parents for success/issue stories from their kids in non-engineering non-movie-music-production programs (which could require a certain hi-po computer type...) and whether a non-touch screen computer was perfectly fine...and if they had any limitations going with an Apple...

(Though the fact that Apple computers are non-touchscreen should answer the question of "is a touchscreen PC needed".....therefore a non-touchscreen PC should be the best of all worlds minus their apparent proneness to viruses/issues compared to Macs....)

Last edited:
touch screen is not mandatory unless they are an art major or something or need to draw all the time. I never use my touch screen and it uses more battery. When I was in college, everyone go to the wall charger seats at the coffee shops because battery life sucks. You want a long battery life computer. Take out all the unnecessary features.

My parents bought me a Sony VAIO laptop top of the line computer for college. It was nice but only lasted 2 years and overheating was a big issue. I went on craigslist and bought a used IBM thinkpad for $200 and lasted me through out the rest of the colleges years 3+.

If my kid is going to college now, I will go buy them the newest Lenovo X460 or X1 I can find for $800. The integrated video card is good enough to do light CAD and video games. and the "X" line is compact enough to carry all over campus.

Frankly, I'd be very reticent to buy a new computer for someone that has in your own words," loves to drop Apple products". You can buy a reconditioned Apple/PC through various sources with a 1 year warranty which might be the best option. Otherwise, go for a new unit, but buy this hard case. It's military tested and can save the computer in severe drops.

http://www.pelicancasesforless.com/...MImdiN0MqT1QIVVS-BCh29SAvxEAQYAyABEgKqwPD_BwE

touch screen is not mandatory unless they are an art major or something or need to draw all the time. I never use my touch screen and it uses more battery. When I was in college, everyone go to the wall charger seats at the coffee shops because battery life sucks. You want a long battery life computer. Take out all the unnecessary features.

Thanks for this input. The battery life is a great comment and one I forgot to push. It's why I bought myself a macbook air instead of a pro in 2014, and is a good reason to try to convince him and his mom of the trade-off that a hi-res touchscreen would present...right now his mother (my sister) is window-shopping thinking a $1000 touch-screen pc is a must-have, if not the MacBook that my nephew is craving. Thank you for mentioning this!

My parents bought me a Sony VAIO laptop top of the line computer for college. It was nice but only lasted 2 years and overheating was a big issue. I went on craigslist and bought a used IBM thinkpad for $200 and lasted me through out the rest of the colleges years 3+.

Even if just your experience here is one anecdote, I anticipate for a variety of reasons that one computer wouldn't last all 4 years...so I still feel that for him I'd prefer finding the best I can now for the $400-600 range instead of shooting for the moon in freshman year with a Mac... (buy a 300ZX at age 28 then an NSX at age 45 like me...) :)

If my kid is going to college now, I will go buy them the newest Lenovo X460 or X1 I can find for $800. The integrated video card is good enough to do light CAD and video games. and the "X" line is compact enough to carry all over campus.

Thanks! If you don't mind my asking - what would you recommend at the $500 price range? If I were willing to spend $800 I'd just go for a $900 2015 refurbished MacBook Air directly from Apple. I'm not as well-versed with PC's as I am with macs, so I'm looking for educated input where I can get it, to compare to my findings.

With 3 more nephews oncoming and heading into college at 2 year intervals, I hope that helps better relay why I'm so budget-focused while not wanting to skimp just to save $. :)

Frankly, I'd be very reticent to buy a new computer for someone that has in your own words," loves to drop Apple products". You can buy a reconditioned Apple/PC through various sources with a 1 year warranty which might be the best option. Otherwise, go for a new unit, but buy this hard case. It's military tested and can save the computer in severe drops.

http://www.pelicancasesforless.com/...MImdiN0MqT1QIVVS-BCh29SAvxEAQYAyABEgKqwPD_BwE

Oh...I tried to convince them to consider a 2013-2014 pre-owned reconditioned MacBook pro or Air from various reputable mac-centric sites. I won't go into it further other than to say they also refuse to even consider shopping for at least some home items at Marshall's/TJMaxx like socks or underwear or belts...or buy $7 Champion sports shorts/shirts for weekend use at Target instead of going for $40 Under Armors from Dicks Sporting Goods, all of which are probably made at similar factories and using similar/same raw products...

I'd personally use that pelican case or something similar (I do transport my macbook air in a soft padded case anytime I'm mobile) but there's no way a hip freshman would be caught dead with that grandfather case.

Last edited:
Thanks! If you don't mind my asking - what would you recommend at the $500 price range? If I were willing to spend $800 I'd just go for a $900 2015 refurbished MacBook Air directly from Apple. I'm not as well-versed with PC's as I am with macs, so I'm looking for educated input where I can get it, to compare to my findings.

With 3 more nephews oncoming and heading into college at 2 year intervals, I hope that helps better relay why I'm so budget-focused while not wanting to skimp just to save $.
C:\Users\Huliu\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.gif

Honestly, I have not done much research in $500 range. As you know, computer spec and value changes almost every 3-4 months. Best is to search " best $500 laptops" and read reviews and pros & cons.
I just did a quick search for $500 laptops and came up Dell and Acer, which I don’t care for.

I assume you don't have much time to go find used ones on craigslist, but if you do... Leneno T450 and T450s, can be had for cheap. You nephews might not like it thought because they are not beautiful laptops, but they build like a tank and last for years.
Here is an example:
https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/sys/d/lenovo-obo/6212049130.html
Its like buying a used car, you have to ask a lot of questions and know what you are talking about or you will get scam.

Just an example of how cheap you can have these laptop in the used market. Below link is almost the same spec as my laptop selling for $800 OBO I bet $700 is a reasonable offer, if you are willing to low ball $650 you can have an amazing laptop that will last you 5 years! and good thing about lenovo is that the warranty transfer and you can check the warranty online at the time of sale.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/sys/d/lenovo-thinkpad-th-gen/6220691945.html

My son started college last year at the University of Alabama. They have computer expectations (minimum specs) and recommendations on their web site. Perhaps your does as well.

My son was PC all through high school. When he was an undergrad (pre-med like your nephew) we purchased an Apple MacBook for him. His school lists the computer requirements but IIRC doesn't specify if PC or Mac but he preferred the Mac. He replaced the Mac in his junior year (HD crapped out and didn't have Apple Care) with another Mac (with Apple Care!) that he now continues to use in medical school.

Your post says "I said I'd buy him a laptop" but you don't say if you qualified that offer at the time it was made, i.e. only PC, not more than X dollars, you pick the model, etc.

Now you're in a conundrum: What if you buy him a laptop (PC) that meets all the requirements but your nephew is dead set for a Mac?

Apple used to have an education discount if you purchased the product through the school's bookstore.

I'm a parent of kids (not college age) but since I have not left college that long ago and we are still often in the college environment, would say college kids vary quite a bit just as us owners of cars do. Not every student is a must be hip most popular type nor is all college students tech savvy. Case in point some kids go to school focused more on social status initially while others are 100% hardcore studying type. Try to find out what their major is and what is the best recommended computer. Graphic design for example would be different from Engineering, management, or even business perhaps?

If you are giving this as a GIFT to your nephews, my thought is that is something they should appreciate and not dictate what they want. You could just give them a cash amount and let them pick what they want instead of giving an actual computer? If that is not possible then hint to them what they want and more importantly "WHY"?

Dell PC's have some advantages and Apple have certain advantages. A lot depends on the industry they are trying to get into and also what the school prefers or supports.

Last edited:
My son started college last year at the University of Alabama. They have computer expectations (minimum specs) and recommendations on their web site. Perhaps your does as well.

Agree, I was already looking into it. Trying to motivate my nephew to contact his department to find out.

Your post says "I said I'd buy him a laptop" but you don't say if you qualified that offer at the time it was made, i.e. only PC, not more than X dollars, you pick the model, etc.

Now you're in a conundrum: What if you buy him a laptop (PC) that meets all the requirements but your nephew is dead set for a Mac?

Apple used to have an education discount if you purchased the product through the school's bookstore.

No conundrum. :) i actually offered upfront to spend 750 or so on a reconditioned preowned several-year-old Mac from a reputable reseller, that's likely to get him through four years of a non-engineering curriculum if he takes care of it. Yes I sense apprehension of a reconditioned Mac even though I've personally had a great success going that route for years. Apple does have an educational discount and will even give you a free pair of overrated Beats wireless headphones. 13 inch MacBook Air with AppleCare easily gets to the $13-$1400 range with tax, about double what I think a freshman should be spending on a laptop coming from a family that's not shedding moneybags and has three brothers coming up behind him two years apart from each other. :)

I'm a parent of kids (not college age) but since I have not left college that long ago and we are still often in the college environment, would say college kids vary quite a bit just as us owners of cars do. Not every student is a must be hip most popular type nor is all college students tech savvy. Case in point some kids go to school focused more on social status initially while others are 100% hardcore studying type. Try to find out what their major is and what is the best recommended computer. Graphic design for example would be different from Engineering, management, or even business perhaps?

If you are giving this as a GIFT to your nephews, my thought is that is something they should appreciate and not dictate what they want. You could just give them a cash amount and let them pick what they want instead of giving an actual computer? If that is not possible then hint to them what they want and more importantly "WHY"?

Dell PC's have some advantages and Apple have certain advantages. A lot depends on the industry they are trying to get into and also what the school prefers or supports.

I agree 100%. The next brother in line, currently 16 years old, is so non-status conscious and so go with the flow, that he would make do with even a chrome book if presented that. Amazing how some kids from the same family can vary. All good kids, just a little different.

What is wrong with a chromebook? For a college student who is connected to the internet, I would recommend it. Especially since everything is stored on the cloud, if lost or broken, then we chromebook has everything!
Not quite a Mac PowerBook, but for college, who are we kidding.

can you take a business expense on the whatever then gift it ...

Thx for the comments here, friends. Went with best buy's recent blow-out of the 2015 MacBook airs.

What is wrong with a chromebook? For a college student who is connected to the internet, I would recommend it. Especially since everything is stored on the cloud, if lost or broken, then we chromebook has everything!
Not quite a Mac PowerBook, but for college, who are we kidding.

That might be a good option for my 2nd nephew (of 4) inline for college in 2 years, who's not as picky. For me, I detest chromebooks because I dislike google's flat design and UI in general. I couldn't imagine being forced to work completely within Google's minimalistic flat Material-design UI 24/7. I'm even keeping Apple's 2014 Mavericks OS on my MacBook air since I dislike Apple's transparent Fisher-price flat-design-looking UI that started with Yosemite after Steve Jobs passed away and a Christmas tree designer was given responsibility for all of Apple's software/UI look & feel. I'm picky about what I consider "good design." I own an NSX so by default I have great design sensibilities! :) (j/k)

Also too I would have my doubts about going the chromebook route in case his program had any software requirements which I'd tend to guess would be windows or Mac-based....just a guess but a good one I think.

I suggest you give them a budget. They can then pick a laptop based on your budget, OR they take the cash and pay the difference for whatever model they want. Gift + life lessons for one price.

A good suggestion but not the ball field we're playing on unfortunately...sister & brother-in-law promised a mini-splurge of a Mac computer as a grad gift and I (independently of knowing their gift) told him I'd buy a $800 refurb Mac since he needed a computer and showed interest in my 2014 MacBook air. I preferred a refurb to see how he handled it his first year. Less risk than the $850 2015 i5 MacBook air with 8GB ram & 256GB SSD we went for last Saturday due to Best Buy's sale (with applecare+, it was $1100+tax, not too bad).

can you take a business expense on the whatever then gift it ...

Sounds perfectly legal and on the up & up! I like it!

I'd just give him $500-1000 in cash to go "towards" a computer. That way you can kind of stipulate where your gift should go (and he can choose what he wants), but you'd come out a much cooler uncle in the end. Everyone wins and you especially saved time not stressing on Apple products.

I suggest Mac Attack has provided the premium advice. By interjecting yourself into the selection process, you retain ownership of the decision if the results are less than satisfactory, and they will be less than satisfactory if you push PC ownership on an Apple fan boy. Be the cool uncle and provide a contribution to the purchase of a 'laptop'. If he needs the laptop to be an Apple, he can make the decision to fork over the $. That way he has some skin in the decision.

As an observation, at University (not technology schools) the first and generally the second year the most important part of the lap top is probably the WiFi adapter / Ethernet port. The laptop is used to down load class material and notes, down load and up load assignment and sign up for stuff. In June when the 1 day window for registration for fall term classes opened up my son was walking across a farmer's field-pea crop testing for natural gas pipeline leaks. At noon when registration started he sat down in the field, pulled his laptop out of his back pack and hooked it up to his cell phone and registered for classes using the 4G cell network. For the first two years, the lap top is a communication tool, not a number crunching tool. A $400 special would probably work just fine. Have him give consideration that the school may require him to have MS Word, Excel and Power Point as standard software for lecture material. At one time the Mac versions of MS Office was more expensive than the PC version. I don't know whether that differential still exists.

The Macs that I have seen were early users of SSDs instead of conventional rotating disks. They give up storage space for the reduced power consumption and fast start-up provided by the SSD. SSDs have dropped in price like crazy and I expect that there are non Mac laptops equipped with SSDs which eats into part of the traditional advantage of the Mac platform.

As an aside, my son is in 3rd year electrical engineering. He doesn't have that much use for Apple ending up with a Dell with I think an Intel i7 . But, the laptop is not necessarily 'PC' as I have seen, in addition to Windows 10, Linux and Unix variants running on the lap top depending on what he is doing. We paid for most of his first year; but, we agreed on a budget, transferred the money to him and then said don't call if you run out. I guess he could have purchased a Mac if he was prepared to eat Kraft Dinner on a more frequent basis. Nothing like choices and consequences to enforce a little discipline.

Edit - just saw your last post so the budget thing is probably academic (no pun).

Last edited:
Back