• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Pro bono publico IT/IS/Software Application professional consultation to 501c3

Hope this is ok to share.. I am broadly advertising expert technical consultation to 501C3 corporations, and hope it's ok to use Prime as one of those avenues..

In short: I am offering pro bono professional technical consultation as it relates to Information Systems, Information Technology, or all aspects of Software development. My speciality is in software information systems security, but I understand a wide variety of software systems well..

Here's some of the services that I can offer, and why I think they are important and valuable:

1.) Detailed security audit of all computer assets, software and configuration. The non-profit would get a comprehensive review of their entire system and a professional report listing the risks, serverity levels and how to eliminate or mitigate the risks. Although LINK is an extreme example of an organization that is at risk, anyone that deal with ANY personally identifiable information such as bank accounts, addresses, names, ss's etc is at risk. That pretty much means everyone.
-You'd be surprised how many corporations place their data and client information at risk both through bad practice. A small mortgate company I worked with had hundrdeds of mortgage applications with SS#'s, bank account #s on a spyware infected computer while running as Administrator and no anti-malware. This showed very poor care and placed them at serious liability. This is one of the reasons I change my cc#'s often and never give my ss#...
2.) Technical architecture guidance or 'review'/2nd opinion on new or expanding network systems. This cna be anywhere from 5 simple networked pc's, to potentialy hundreds with Directory Services and mixed-operating system environments.
3.) If the company has a website, working with the ISP to validate that proper security mechanisms are being deployed. I also know of a great ISP run by a personal friend with extremely competitive rates which I can refer to and a talented individual for professional website development.
4.) Possibility of licensed software at significantly reduced to zero prices (only for non-profits, not possible for personal or business use..). We're talking pennies/dollar here, basically packaging costs..
5.) Application or system design review, at the code level. Likely limited that would fall under this category, though some organizations have specialized software they use and want to expand..
6.) Or simply ... 'Tech support' or general guidance depending on the particular type of issue. More complex the better.

At the very least, I think I can be a good "2nd opinion" to the "IT guy"..

What I don't do: Website design. There are simply far more talented and passionate people other there about creating the most artsy and interactive website. I can provide references to a excellent, professional and talented both technically and artistic developer that has very competitive rates however (both non-profit or professional).

As I mentioned, this is just one avenue to advertise this service, and unless you are active in supporting specific organizations, you may not know of any that would apply, but in case you do decide to support such an organization anywyere..

A bit about my backround:
My backround is in software development both on the engineering and program management side working for a large software company in the Redmond Washington area for ten years. I've worked on many product lines on many different projects with large breadeth and deep tech. My backround before that was a technical consultant and I enjoyed it. I've gained insight that you simply can not have when you don't see the code, design and release the system. Just as there is a difference between the a good Honda mecha and the engineers that made the critical decisions on the design of the C32B, so is there a differecne between someone that manages the software, and one that has developed it from the ground up.

What's in it for me? I am full time employed an doing this on a volunteer basis so there isn't a financial gain for me. I believe in putting my time, money and support where my mouth for causes and organizations I believe in, and try to hold myself accountable to it. What I gain is a sense of accomplishment, and opportunity to dust up my consulting experiences I performed over 10 years ago.

Additional benefits There is a possibility to apply for "matching" of the volunteer effort I'd make on a per hourly basis from organization(s) that support such efforts. For example, if I volunteered 20 hours perfoming the work, the non-profit woudl receive 20*$20 (as an example) = $400.00, in addition to the actual work. I get no financial payment of any kind for the volunteering.

Last edited:
I initially wanted to place it in that section but felt the mods might see it as "selling."

Mods- appreciate if you could move if it's appropriate.

Thanks

Back