• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Attention Watch Experts....

I have been researching watches for the past month or so. Decided I needed a legit watch. Most of the watches I had to date have been crap ("designer" brands like Kenneth Cole, or your budget "trendy" Fossil, etc). Looking at either Omega, Tag, or possibly a used Panerai with docs. Hmmm.... maybe I'll REALLY step it up and get a new Panerai. Obviously my budet is all over the place here! I want something that will last for years and maintain it's value. Any other suggestions? Also, I have a general question on Movado- I was looking at Movado recently, specifically the 800 series. After checking various watch forums and reading up on people's opinions on Movado, the general opinion from various watch 'experts' tend to look down on this brand. Why is this? I always thought it was a good brand, or at least it has commercial recognition. Thoughts?

I'm a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to watches. I'd say stick with Rolex (Submariner), Omega, Breitling, Patek Philippe. These are my brands of choice for most daily wear. I use to want a Tag but I think i've matured out of that brand though I think it's a great looking watch.

When it comes to watches I tend to stay away from the trendy watches unless they're cheap like a G-Shock lol. Even the new Nixon watches are super trendy now but are a bit over my price threshold for a watch I may not even use next yr.

The color of the face of the watch will never go out of style if you stay with a high end watch like RYU mentioned. I have a Breitling from the 1950's that still looks great and get's comments whenever I wear it. My daily watch is a Rolex GMT MASTER II with a Red/Black bezel and black face. I bought it in 1995 and it still runs great. Any timeless/classic watch will never go out of style. Movado imho is a low end watch. Sort of like the kid with the Civic who wants to hang out with the NSX crowd. It can be done, but the Civic will never be an NSX.

I'd suggest you start with something simple like a Brietling or Rolex. You can get into these brands for about $4,000 new and have a nice watch that will last you a lifetime.

Last edited:
The color of the face of the watch will never go out of style if you stay with a high end watch like RYU mentioned. I have a Breitling from the 1950's that still looks great and get's comments whenever I wear it. My daily watch is a Rolex GMT MASTER II with a Red/Black bezel and black face. I bought it in 1995 and it still runs great. Any timeless/classic watch will never go out of style. Movado imho is a low end watch. Sort of like the kid with the Civic who wants to hang out with the NSX crowd. It can be done, but the Civic will never be an NSX.

I'd suggest you start with something simple like a Brietling or Rolex. You can get into these brands for about $4,000 new and have a nice watch that will last you a lifetime.

Good advice here, also considering:

Omega-Planet Ocean
Rolex- Submariner
TAG Heuer-Aquaracer

Thoughts on BREITLING AEROMARINE SUPEROCEAN?
Before I comment on your Aeromarine, let me just state that watches are such a personal choice. If you become a true watch aficionado your taste in watches will become more refined over time. I think watches can be more involved than collecting classic cars or even paintings. I'm just getting started myself with the guidance of older friends.

The Aeromarine you posted looks like a Rolex Submariner wannabe imho. To me a Breitling needs to be a true chrono like this

breitling_navitimer_50th_anni.JPG

Before I comment on your Aeromarine, let me just state that watches are such a personal choice. If you become a true watch aficionado your taste in watches will become more refined over time. I think watches can be more involved than collecting classic cars or even paintings. I'm just getting started myself with the guidance of older friends.

The Aeromarine you posted looks like a Rolex Submariner wannabe imho. To me a Breitling needs to be a true chrono like this

breitling_navitimer_50th_anni.JPG

Thanks! That Breitling is a bit too busy for me, but definitely looks good! Speaking of chrono's, what is the etiquette on these? I see these type of watches used often for daily use.... Look out of place in a "dressy" situation?

Last edited:
When I got in to more expensive watches, I found this website extremely helpful.

http://chronocentric.com/

Especially this chart on the levels of watches:

http://chronocentric.com/watches/brands.shtml

You can't really go wrong with a nice classic watch like a Breitling, Omega or Rolex. I would caution away from Tag however. Not because they don't make an excellent watch, because they do, but if you are trying to step up to the next level, Tag just doesn't have the recognition to take it to the next step. It just doesn't have the same presence the other brands do.

Thanks! That Breitling is a bit too busy for me, but definitely looks good! Speaking of chrono's, what is the etiquette on these? I see these type of watches used often for daily use.... Look out of place in a "dressy" situation?

It's more about the band than the face when it comes to formality. The general rule of thumb is:

Leather bands = more formal
Metal bands = more sporty

Take for example this beautiful Ulysse Nardin Maxi Marine Chronograph. In a leather band, it looks formal enough to wear at a very dressy situation. In a metal band (same face) it looks sporty enough to wear on a boat.

6477cff4-9416-4691-aeaa-2e783d7b62d7.jpg

ulysse-nardin-maxi-marine-chronograph-mens-watch-353-66-7-314.jpg

When I got in to more expensive watches, I found this website extremely helpful.

http://chronocentric.com/

Especially this chart on the levels of watches:

http://chronocentric.com/watches/brands.shtml

You can't really go wrong with a nice classic watch like a Breitling, Omega or Rolex. I would caution away from Tag however. Not because they don't make an excellent watch, because they do, but if you are trying to step up to the next level, Tag just doesn't have the recognition to take it to the next step. It just doesn't have the same presence the other brands do.

hmmm no mention of panerai in that list...where would you guys place it.

Last edited:
Oh and one last thing to consider... try to find a reason to buy a particular watch. It will help you justify why you spending significantly more money over a standard watch. I mean, let's face it, if it was just about telling time, well a $20 Seiko does a better job of keeping time than most luxury watches. And if was about the looks/image, fakes have gotten so good these days you'll be hard pressed to spot a fake with a 2 second flash of the wrist.

Some justifications to consider:

Vintage: One distinguishing detail luxury watches have over say a Gucci or Kenneth Cole is the history. Omega has been making watches since 1848. Breitling 1884. Rolex 1905. Ulysse Nardin 1846. Audemars Piguet 1875. Patek Philippe 1851.

In house movement: What makes the watch tell time is the movement and many less expensive brands just buy their movement from some mass producing shop. Many luxury brands actually make their own in house movement and have their own signature movements which are unique to that watch alone. Omega established themselves partly on their constantly innovative in house movements which other watches at the time did not have. Ironically Rolex does not make its own in house movements… which leads me to…

Recognition: Rolex has nothing inherently special about it. It’s not the oldest watch manufacturer, it’s not the most innovative, it doesn’t make its own movement. So why are they so expensive? Recognition. They did such a great job marketing themselves that they are easily one of the most recognizable and known watch manufacturers out there. As a result, their demand stays high along with their value. It’s hard to beat the “impress” factor with a nice solid Rolex strapped to your wrist no matter the situation.

I've got a breitling super avenger black steel, it's nice....

you sure you want a automatic?

My wife bought me a Breitling for my birthday a while back and we ended up taking it back b/c I don't usually wear watches (or any jewelry besides my wedding band) and she realized I wasn't planning to change.

However, I've always liked the look of the Tag Monaco and appreciated it's motorsports heritage (hey, I like Steve McQueen). Told myself, if I ever get a watch that would be it.

monaco_mood.jpg

Wow, tons of knowledgeable posts here. My budget is somewhat flexible, but I'd like to keep it under 5k if possible. Here is my short list. Although the Panerai is listed, probably a reach...

Rolex- Submariner (Steel with black face)
TAG Heuer- Aquaracer
TAG Heuer- Carrera
Omega-Planet Ocean
Breitling- Superocean
Panerai- Luminor Marina
Baume & Mercier- Riviera

Rolex is one of my favs, but I'm not 100% sure if I want a "Rolex." I would rather have a watch that doesn't scream "Yep, it's a rolex." But I really do like it!

This is surprisingly a very valid question.

I'm running out of counter space for all the automatic watch winders I need to buy for my watches. I'm a big fan of automatic movements even though they do require periodic maintenance.

Just out of curiosity, why do you keep all of your watches wound? Is it a time thing? (no pun intended) I don't use watch winders and I let all of my watches wind down. Yes I have to wind and set them each time I pick them up but I find that part really therapeutic and enjoyable. I spoke to several watch experts and none of them said it was a problem to let watches wind down. In fact, they warned that bad watch winders can do more damage than good.

Last edited:
Rolex is one of my favs, but I'm not 100% sure if I want a "Rolex." I would rather have a watch that doesn't scream "Yep, it's a rolex." But I really do like it!

I was the exact same way. I didn't want to join the herd and also get a Rolex so I got a few Breitlings instead. I eventually got a Rolex Submariner and it easily became my favorite watch and I wear it every day.

Just out of curiosity, why do you keep all of your watches wound? Is it a time thing? (no pun intended) I don't use watch winders and I let all of my watches wind down. Yes I have to wind and set them each time I pick them up but I find that part really therapeutic and enjoyable. I spoke to several watch experts and none of them said it was a problem to let watches wind down. In fact, they warned that bad watch winders can do more damage than good.

To continue his point, keeping my automatics continually wound would also put unnecessary additional wear on all the internal mechanical parts. Don't forget that you do need to get your automatics serviced around every 5 years which costs hundreds of dollars. I would imagine that keeping them constantly wound would shorten the time between required service intervals.

Although I am more in the camp that finds resetting the time each time I switch watches a bit of an inconvenience... :biggrin:

Last edited:
In style in 1953, in style today...Rolex Submariner (6538?). The 5512/5513 may be more obtainable:

drnoa.jpg

And...long before the "Tag" Heuer Monaco, there was the Heuer Monaco:

Watch.jpg

And the Heuer Autavia:

Vintage-Heuer-Autavia-Automatic-Chronograph-Calibre-12.jpg

Carrera:

svggmu.jpg

And, when the Panerai is out of style again (once Arnold is no longer Governor), you can get the original Big Boy watch, the Omega PloProf aka the "Jaques Costeau":

omega-ploprof-watch.jpg

OIZNgkytuzjzo5B.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not a watch expert........but I have a Tag Carerra as my daily, being that I like things Simple, I have the WV211B like this

WV211B-BA0787.jpg

My wife's daily is a Rolex Datejust (style #178274)...

41ysXRKqzxL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Both are fine watches that stand up the the "abuses" of daily wear well.

I do think, however, that I am interested in getting a Breitling (despite the fact that I prefer conservative jewelry....I just like the looks of this watch...

A2133012-G518.jpg

Back