• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Attn: New Jersey Owners - front license plates

taking delivery of my new to me NSX this coming weekend. This car has never had a front license plate.

Do I need to have the front license plate on to pass New Jersey Motor Vehicle inspection?

thanks

Glenn

Yes. Unless you have it inspected privately at a garage that is car enthusiast friendly. But, you still have the very small outside chance that a cop will notice the missing plate.

There are some simple solutions using a pair of "l"-brackets that are easily removable. Try a search on Prime.

Yeah you're gonna need a front plate. I used velcro to hold mine on and passed with no problem. I now have an sos stealth plate holder. Highly recommended.

Yes you do, however you can try to get it passed without front plates. When I went to dmv with my nsx and s2k they passed me and both of them did not have front plates. the s2k also did not have a 3rd brake light as I had the BYS spoiler which takes the place of the 3rd brake light.

They no longer do the safety inspection in NJ, so you might be able to pass. Even if you do pass, you can still be pulled over by police and given a ticket for no front plate.

Never been pulled over in my namsx with no front plate and loud exhaust. In case i do, i have a gold card anyway so ill most likely get off with no ticket.

I have been pulled over in my tl for no front plate but he let me go anyway

Carry your front plate in the trunk in a large ziplock with screws, a phillips and a cheap bracket, and some instructions. Show this bag to the officer and don't just carry the plate because everyone does that. They will not followup on you unless it is local in and around your town. You can also act surprised that your left turn signal now works for some strange reason? :confused:

If you plan on driving without a front plate on an ongoing basis, it's easy to put it on for the inspection (then remove it afterwards) using the factory license plate frame/bracket. The frame/bracket attaches from the underside of the bumper so there are no visible holes, if that's your concern.

I've given up trying to not have a front plate. My township really frowns on not having the plate installed.

If you plan on driving without a front plate on an ongoing basis, it's easy to put it on for the inspection (then remove it afterwards) using the factory license plate frame/bracket. The frame/bracket attaches from the underside of the bumper so there are no visible holes, if that's your concern.

I dont have the factory license plate frame/bracket

I dont mind having a front plate, i have them on my other 3 cars. Since i dont have the factory frame, i'm looking for a way to attach a front plate without drilling the bumper or damaging the paint.

Someone said that the SOS bracket works well without drilling?

I've been pulled over once for not having a front plate and was also cited for not wearing my seat belt. I was very polite and respectful and was never issued a summons. There was also a time that I drove through a random DMV Inspection point, the officer asked about my front plate and I responded by saying that I didn't know that it was mandatory and that I'd put it on right away. He smiled and let me go but warned that I needed a front plate in NJ and that I should put it on to avoid attention. I still haven't installed it to date, I'll take my chances since my outcomes have been favorable and I have no idea where I put my front plate bracket kit anyway?

I have a brand new SOS front plate mount kit that I won at a club auction. You can have it, just pay shipping. :smile:

PM me.

You do NOT need a license plate in NJ to pass inspection. They did ask me about it when I got in inspected though. They only check OBD and thats it.

Back