• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Audi Calls Acura’s New Hybrid NSX Sports Car ‘Vaporware’ On Twitter

http://jalopnik.com/5924841/audi-calls-acuras-new-hybrid-nsx-sports-car-vaporware-on-twitter
Full size
xlarge.jpg

acura nsx
Jul 10, 2012 2:30 PM
rightbar.flame.png
rightbar.comment.png

avt-small.jpg
Raphael Orlove

Iron Man gave up his trademark R8 for an Acura NSX droptop in The Avengers, and it looks like Audi feels bitter about it. Why else would they diss the fictional character's ride on Twitter?
Ignoring the fact that Tony Stark may be switching to Bugatti for Iron Man 3, The official @Audi account wrote this tweet today.
It's ironic then that Tony Stark gave up this -http://twitpic.com/a1wtre - for vaporware.‪#WantAnR8‬
It looks like Audi got the idea from car tester Dan Edmunds, retweeting a similar tweet from him before composing their own.
For any other company we'd say that this tweet would be taken down in no time. Audi has a history of feisty advertising, though, having gotten into a billboard war with BMW back in 2009. Maybe this insult won't get deleted in a bit of corporate whitewashing.
(Hat tip to Damon Lavrinc!)

haha you beat me to it! I just came to post this. :biggrin:

Acura Responds

http://jalopnik.com/5924841/audi-calls-acuras-new-hybrid-nsx-sports-car-vaporware-on-twitter

avt-small.jpg
Raphael Orlove

Iron Man gave up his trademark R8 for an Acura NSX droptop in The Avengers, and it looks like Audi feels bitter about it. Why else would they diss the fictional character's ride on Twitter?
Ignoring the fact that Tony Stark may be switching to Bugatti for Iron Man 3, The official @Audi account wrote this tweet today.
It's ironic then that Tony Stark gave up this -http://twitpic.com/a1wtre - for vaporware.‪#WantAnR8‬
It looks like Audi got the idea from car tester Dan Edmunds, retweeting a similar tweet from him before composing their own.
For any other company we'd say that this tweet would be taken down in no time. Audi has a history of feisty advertising, though, having gotten into a billboard war with BMW back in 2009. Maybe this insult won't get deleted in a bit of corporate whitewashing.

UPDATE: Acura made its first retaliation yesterday with this tweet directed to car writer Damon Lavrinc and not Audi.
I think @Audi is trying to sell as many R8's as possible before the real NSX comes out!
Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight!

Except by the time, NSX is produced, a new R8 will be there too.

It sounds like some jealousy in Audi :) Tony Stark would never pick Audi in the first place...they were there only because Audi paid to be in the movie LOL.

Isn't the new NSX pretty much vaporware at this point? No real prototypes, not defined specs, etc... Not saying it won't be built but they do kind of have a point.

Isn't the new NSX pretty much vaporware at this point? No real prototypes, not defined specs, etc... Not saying it won't be built but they do kind of have a point.

So Audi decided to bash Honda without seeing the car, and Honda promised to outsell Audi when it is released. Interesting:wink:

Im believe they were referring to the hybrid/electric technology. Have you seen the
E-tron. Audi is doing big things with hybrid/electric tec.

http://fourtitude.com/news/publish/Audi_News/article_6517.shtml

Honda must have come up with some killer cash to beat Audi out for Ironman. Audi/VW has stepped up there advertising in the states from what I have seen. Adds are everywhere.

Hell we talk about the R8 on a HONDA specific site More then any other car. (with the exception of the FD and Batman LOL)

Set price/ resale value aside, I would take a R8 over the NSX any day (V8 V10 Or Diesel V12) New NSX just don't do it for me. I think its hideous. Hell I would rather own an NA2 NSX then the new door stop they call an NSX.

Last edited:
Set price/ resale value aside, I would take a R8 over the NSX any day (V8 V10 Or Diesel V12) New NSX just don't do it for me. I think its hideous. Hell I would rather own an NA2 NSX then the new door stop they call an NSX.

That's a matter of personal opinion. I think the NSX 2.0 is a much better looking car than Audi R8, and I'll reserve my judgement when R8 2.0 arrives. I'm never a fan of those bubbly design. I can say is, the current R8 in any trim failed to do one thing, to compete with Ferrari 458, and that is a big selling point if someone want to built a car with a similar layout and a hefty price tag.

The Audi is less than half the price of a 458 and doesn't target the same clientele at all. I don't get that comparison. Have you compared the sales numbers?

As for the tweet, I hope Audi execs bury the NSX into the ground with their comments. Perhaps that will light a fire under Honda's ass unlike the last decade they sat around and watched the NSX age.

Last edited:
The Audi is less than half the price of a 458 and doesn't target the same clientele at all. I don't get that comparison. Have you compared the sales numbers?

As for the tweet, I hope Audi execs bury the NSX into the ground with their comments. Perhaps that will light a fire under Honda's ass unlike the last decade they sat around and watched the NSX age.

People do that all the time. When the NSX came out in 91, it was half the price of the infamous 348.

That goes with others as well, GTR vs. 911 Turbo/GT2.

Ferrari basically get to charge what ever price they feel like, and the dealership tag on even more.

Is the performance of a $1 million dollar car that much better than something people can put together for $100k?

Creating a new benchmark in performance does not need to be ultra expensive, but it does need to meet the expectation.

Most of these cars are not sold based mainly on performance. I know a lot of R8 owners. They can afford any Ferrari or lamborghini. They don't want the flashy car. They want an understated high end sports car. That's not Ferrari or Lamborghini. At the other end, i would say more than half if not 70-80% of Ferrari and Lamborghini owners care a lot more about the flash than the actual performance. Two different clientelles. You are speaking as if everyone builds cars with performance as their goal. It really isn't. Even most that say they care about performance, care about the IMAGE of performance not performance itself. There is a big difference. They want to say "my car laps the ring in XYZ time", but they have never taken a single HPDE class in their life.

Last edited:
I agree Dave.Most of the high roller exotic car owners I have met at meets never use thier cars performance....the cars go from garage to venue and back again....now there is a subset of track guys but most of the high rollers have dedicated track cars with support staff ect...How you use your sports car has alot to with your finances...most of the average income sports car guys have to make do with a one car fits all mentality.

Most of these cars are not sold based mainly on performance. I know a lot of R8 owners. They can afford any Ferrari or lamborghini. They don't want the flashy car. They want an understated high end sports car. That's not Ferrari or Lamborghini. At the other end, i would say more than half if not 70-80% of Ferrari and Lamborghini owners care a lot more about the flash than the actual performance. Two different clientelles. You are speaking as if everyone builds cars with performance as their goal. It really isn't. Even most that say they care about performance, care about the IMAGE of performance not performance itself. There is a big difference. They want to say "my car laps the ring in XYZ time", but they have never taken a single HPDE class in their life.

You hit the nail on the wall. Therefore, anyone who understand cars understand the none flashiness of the NSX 2.0. However, if this new car can out perform the R8, these people will still buy the R8.

Last edited:
I think that this is good advertisement for R8 so that Honda will make their car better than the R8. More competition the better the R&D.

Exactly! New R8 comes out this fall so Honda will be able to compare the prototype to it. They'll hopefully make it run with the 5.2 for 4.2 money:biggrin:

Is vaporware really an insult? It sounds like a fuel cell vehicle with steam as a byproduct. I would like to drive a car that emits so little exhaust it is as clean as water vapor like those fuel cell vehicles. The 2015 NSX will hopefully beat the competition in emissions and fuel efficiency.

Back