• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Audi R8 To Get New Twin-Turbo V10 in 2008

SANTA MONICA, Calif. ・The new twin-turbocharged V10 engine debuting in the Audi RS6 at Frankfurt will also serve duty in an upgraded version of the R8 sports car next year.

Rumors of a V10-powered R8 have been circulating ever since modified prototypes were spotted testing at the N・burgring. With the recent debut of the RS6's twin-turbo V10, word is the same 5.2-liter power plant will find its way into the R8 late next year. With 530 horsepower, the V10 would represent a 110-hp boost over the current 4.2-liter V8. Expect further upgrades in the form of larger wheels and tires, bigger brakes, a stiffer suspension and a few minor styling tweaks to set it apart from the standard model.

If you thought the current R8 was hard to get your hands on, the V10-powered version is guaranteed to be one of the most sought-after supercars of 2008

Spy photographers caught the V10-powered R8 testing at the N・burgring.
audi.r8.v10.f34.500.jpg

audi.r8.v10.r34.500.jpg

Rumors of a V10-powered R8 have been circulating ever since modified prototypes were spotted testing at the N・burgring. With the recent debut of the RS6's twin-turbo V10, word is the same 5.2-liter power plant will find its way into the R8 late next year. With 530 horsepower, the V10 would represent a 110-hp boost over the current 4.2-liter V8.

I wouldn't trust a source that didn't even get the numbers right. The 2. gen RS6 is rated with 580hp.

Isn't this the version that burned to the ground:biggrin:

Audi R8 To Get New Twin-Turbo V10 in 2008??? WTF??? that is implying they made an 07. Where is the 07? Has anyone seen one of these on the road? I have yet to see one anywhere, including ebay.

I saw about 8 of them at the Mosport ALMS. Audi was showing them and all were licensed with Alberta plates. Im not sure of the lights that are around the car, but it looks great. Too quiet though.

Audi R8 To Get New Twin-Turbo V10 in 2008??? WTF??? that is implying they made an 07. Where is the 07? Has anyone seen one of these on the road? I have yet to see one anywhere, including ebay.

Come to Boca, you'll see one within an hour. :cool:

A guy at my work has one and I've seen about 2 others. Weird thing is it was hard to find any kind of information on them after I saw them. It's like they are not officially for sale or something.

I have seen at least 3 Audi A5's all driven by different people in different colors. That is a really handsome car, better looking than the BMW 3 Series coupe IMO and it shares a lot of the same lines. The first time I saw one, I went to Edmunds and the usual car sites and couldn't find any information about them. Searching Google, all the articles I read made it sound like the car is not out yet.

I work near the BMW design center in Newbury Park so some people I know have seen the new M3 flying by in the mornings. But I am not sure if Audi has something out in the area. So from what I'm gathering, Audi is selling cars these cars before they are officially released.

There is currently a travelling Audi roadshow going across Canada. It was in Regina yesterday and heading west. It includes 2 x R8s (one auto; one stick), an S8, an RS4, and an RS6? In each major center, they're stopping at the local Audi dealer; are giving rides; and on display. I sat in one of the R8s last night .. very nice. I think it looks better in person than pictures but the thick C pillars make for bad visibility rearward to the sides. Not much trunk space in the front and there's no space to work on anything in the engine compartment. The 2 x R8s are being driven (as opposed to trailer'd) between cities by auto press folks who then put articles in the local papers. In Regina, they advertised that the cars would be on display from 6-8PM only but go earlier which is when I gather you might get a ride.

Shouldn't a 5.2 liter V-10 produce 530 without twin turbos?:confused:

I would rather have a Gallardo than the R-8, you can pick up a used Gallardo for the same price they are asking for the new R-8, and I got my deposit back from the Audi dealer for the R-8 I wanted to buy..with the increased HP TT-V10 this will probably drive the R-8 price even higher...into Lambo territory..

Back