• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Audi s4 vs nsx of the same era ?

So I'm sitting in the airport talking to my brother. Both of them own mid 90s s4's. I have kept the purchase of my car under wraps in order to surprise them. The question is, will they surprise me on the street? Have any of you had experience touring with the audi's of the same time frame?

It would depend on what you and your brothers have done to your cars. I would imagine that you would be fine.

You will have trouble only if your brothers have upgraded their turbo to the B5 RS4 KO4 type turbo or if they have had a re-map and giving them an extra 80bhp and 80lbft of torque.

SS

+1

Stock B7 S4 is slow, and you need to rev it hard to get it to move.

I own an RS4 - now THAT car is quicker and faster than my NA NSX. But its a totally different driving experience.

A stock S4 is pretty slow, and when you add turns then they are nowhere close to even a stock NSX.[/QUOTE ]

let me tell you a story about when I first started posting on NSXPRIME I just got my 1st NSX a 92-5speed had my GF( wife now ) in the car raced a Cadillac CTS, 1st gear we were equal 2nd gear he pulled about a car lenth ahead and 3rd still the same 4th he started to pull further then I stopped racing.

when we got to the next light I said wow fast caddy he said I have the Vette engine LS1 I think I stopped racing for a few years till I got a 6-speed. now I have raced a ton of cars now and always beat them.

2nd gear is a dog sucks azz.

goodluck be careful, owners have been known to wreck their NSX in under a week. so don't say you have not been warned DONT race or show off till you know how the car handles

let me tell you a story about when I first started posting on NSXPRIME I just got my 1st NSX a 92-5speed had my GF( wife now ) in the car raced a Cadillac CTS, 1st gear we were equal 2nd gear he pulled about a car lenth ahead and 3rd still the same 4th he started to pull further then I stopped racing.

when we got to the next light I said wow fast caddy he said I have the Vette engine LS1 I think I stopped racing for a few years till I got a 6-speed. now I have raced a ton of cars now and always beat them.

goodluck be careful, owners have been known to wreck their NSX in under a week. so don't say you have not been warned DONT race or show off till you know how the car handles

2nd and 3rd gear is the strongest gear in the 5 speed gear box. I will admit the range between 45-60mph suck in 2nd because you are not in v-tec, but if you start 2nd gear from 60-80mph, the car hauls.

Watch out for the B5 2000-2002 they are 2.7TT and mild inexpensive mods make it a rocket. Haldex mod them and they will handle amazing and hook up like a Mofo off the line. Most don't do the K04 anymore there are better cheaper options now.

They are the 2JZ of the Euro seen. (one example)
http://kmdtuning.com/audi/s4/b5-2-7...2-7t-770r-turbo-kit/prod_2272.html?catId=3140

This is the body style Im talking about. With just a basic chip tune it will eat up the majority of NSXs. I just purchased one for $8k for a customer the other day.

I have had a few.

This one had Approx 500hp

Stock

Last edited:
Neither cars were built for drag racing, so it really doesn't matter how fast they go in a straight line...take them on some twisties and see if they can keep up...if they do, oh well...at the end of the day, you have a freaking NSX , they have a couple of Audi S4s.....:tongue:

My B8 S4 (2013 V6 SC) has identical times as my NA2. 0-60 in 4.5 and 1/4 at 13.0

If I didn't care about the warranty ~ $1,200 would net me + 100hp with a pulley and ECU upgrade. That's some major bang for the buck mod. :biggrin:

Neither cars were built for drag racing, so it really doesn't matter how fast they go in a straight line...take them on some twisties and see if they can keep up...if they do, oh well...at the end of the day, you have a freaking NSX , they have a couple of Audi S4s.....:tongue:

That remains to be seen. I haven't tracked the S4 yet, but with the Quatro I can be on the gas at the apex and it pulls hard out of the turn. That makes the straightaway begin at the apex. I'm not so sure how much faster the NSX is going to be around the track.

Last edited:

The JDM gears fix second :wink:

Last edited:
I think the OP was talking about the UrS4 from 1992-1994 (then renamed the S6 in 1995-1997). I had a 94 myself. If you've ever watched the Group B rally car videos from the 80's and saw the Audi, the engine is quite similar (5-cylinder, 20-valve) to what's in the mid-90's S4.

A stock S4 is pretty slow, and when you add turns then they are nowhere close to even a stock NSX.
Somewhat concur with the stock B7 comment. I have a 2006 S4 as a daily driver, NA 98 NSX for the weekend. Although the Audi has some 40+ HP gain on the NSX and some extra torque, the added weight does make it slower. But once you learn how to drive it properly and keep the revs higher than you would in the NSX when starting off in 1st then it becomes a fairly responsive car. Its also good on the highway and there's plenty of torque there for overtaking without needing to rev the engine at all. I hardly push mine beyond 3k RPM on a daily basis, but the power is there if you need it. As a commuter car, the S4 is hard to beat since you can get fairly decent gas mileage (around 22 mpg) and a sporty but comfortable ride.

The RS4 is a different beast, although during a fairly lengthy test drive I didn't feel it was that much faster than the NSX. The NSX just seems to be more fun though as a car.

Last edited:
I'm reading all of these comments with interest since my DD is a 2005 B6 S4 (NA v8 motor). Granted mine has an exhaust and some minor other mods, I always thought this car was a BEAST with ample amounts of torque and amazing acceleration for such a heavy car.

Mine is a 6-speed manual and I can take off in 3rd gear if I really wanted to without much complaint from the motor. I don't think my NSX would like that.

Given I have not tracked the car, but I would say it's one heck of a powerful car for cruising around. The NSX needs to be in the higher RPM to be quick and it's certainly no torque monster. This is coming from a e90 m3 into a S4, I don't find the power lacking one bit.

I'm wondering why you guys would think the S4 is slow?

- - - Updated - - -

Just realized the OP was referring to the B5 bi-turbo s4? Those are a bit more tame in stock form but I had a B5 s4 prior (hence my SN from many moons ago)

The B5 s4 responds very well to a chip/tune because of the turbos. The NA cars don't have as much gain but it seems my throttle response is much better.

I think the OP was talking about the UrS4 from 1992-1994 (then renamed the S6 in 1995-1997). I had a 94 myself. If you've ever watched the Group B rally car videos from the 80's and saw the Audi, the engine is quite similar (5-cylinder, 20-valve) to what's in the mid-90's S4.

Damn! Thing got some power. Sound like my AR. LOL :biggrin:

Back