• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Auto diff into a 5 speed?

NSXT said:
Can the final drive out of an automatic (4.428) be installed in a 5 speed?

No.

The reason that final drives with ratios of 4.06, 4.235 and 4.55 will work with the manual transmission is because they increment the number of teeth on the gear. 4.428 won't work.

I am obviously misunderstanding your reply. Since both ring and pinion are changed for the 4.235 and 4.55 gearsets, then 'incrementing teeth' is irrelevant, unless one of the two gears is the same as a stock gear. If we assume the new pinion is a stock pinion, then yes, the ratio is staggered by number of ring gear teeth and your reply makes sense.

But ANY ratio can be achieved if both ring and pinion are switched as a mated set, just spec the number of teeth on each gear yourself.

Let me rephrase my question. Can the transaxle out of an automatic be swapped with the manual? This has nothing to do with gear ratios, but fitment instead. Does it bolt up?

No needs to rephrase your question:)

I agree with your logic, but the "pinion" gear is part of the countershaft, as in ONE piece, which is very different in the two transmissions and they cannot be swapped.

So essentially you would only be able to change the "ring" gear, maybe.

That won't work, and is what Ken's comment is based on. You would be trying to put a 4.428 ring with a 4.06 pinion.

I regard to your rephrase, "transaxle" by definition is the entire transmission as a unit (transmission + R&P). I guess it is possible to do a swap manual to automatic, but way too costly and problematic IMO. Although I really do not think this is what you had in mind :)

HTH,
LarryB

Re: Re: Auto diff into a 5 speed?

nsxtasy said:
No.

The reason that final drives with ratios of 4.06, 4.235 and 4.55 will work with the manual transmission is because they increment the number of teeth on the gear. 4.428 won't work.

My typical knee-jerk reaction is that the above is wrong, because R&P gears are sold as sets. What comprises the NSX's rear differential are three components - ring gear, pinion gear (obviously, these two make up the R&P) and three pairs of planetary gears (on 120° centerlines) that nobody ever mentions. The planetary gears are the same size.....so if the pinion gear's tooth-mesh diameter is smaller, the ring gear's tooth-mesh diameter is larger. The opposite is true to arrive at whatever final drive ratio is being sought.

NSXT's question is based more on dimensional fitment of the carrier vs gear A compared to gear B. I am inclined to agree with this premise, because there are differential carrier dimensions that do not interchange with each other, in the family of five-speed transmissions.

More later, when class resumes tomorrow. :)

Back