• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Automatic Transmission Rebuild or Remanufacture?

i just had this repair/replacement done last year at courtesy acura in orlando, fl. the news i received when i tried to have the second gear clutch pack replaced was "the only parts available worldwide are two gaskets, an O-ring and one miscellaneous part". i called other acura dealerships nationwide and a dealership in tempe arizona phoned me and advised that he had found a rebuilt automatic tranny at acura's remanufactured warehouse in japan. evidentlly, he had contacts that other dealers didn't have.
they also advised me that if i didn't order the item with my credit card withing the next five minutes, i would probably not be driving my car again. it took almost three months to find it but it took me seconds to give them my card number and order the part.
they went even further and had my dealership contact them and get all the info and had the transmission shipped to me instead of making their commission on it and shipping it to them and then to me.
they said if there had been a new one available it would run over 10k not installed. i received this one from japan, rebuilt with a one year warranty from acura with a complete tear-down and reassembly with new parts for $5000 plus installation.
your only chance is to find what parts you need and purchase a used transmission and use those parts. there's one on ebay now for about $1200.
i wish you luck with it. if you can find another rebuilt one from overseas, they'll also hit you with a core charge which they refund when you send yours to them. and by the way, it has to be reassembled, not torn down and in a box. i learned the hard way. sounds stupid but that's the way they operate.

good luck!
rog

hi,
i just checked ebay and they sold it for $903. it had 15k miles and the part # was MR9A-2000053. if you go on ebay, his store name is "willswildhareracing. maybe the buyer won't complete the purchase or you could contact the seller about buying it from the high bidder. just a thought.

regards,
rog

Years ago i had a re-mfr'd unit from Japan, installed for HK $ 27000 which is about US$ 3500. These are suppliers in Japan that specialize in transmission re-built but from Acura/Honda direct, I find it unusal but at least u got it. A local re-built with new parts would have costed about the same as an imported one in my part of the world.

I agree with the earlier post. Try Level Ten I talked to the guy. He has an nsx. They will rebuild it and make it able to handle more power as well since acura/ honda didnt do too good of a job on automatic trannys in the past. I think he quoted about 5700 to rebuild it with stronger components

I have a 92 that Im doing a at > mt swap. I have about 98% of the swap parts ready. Most likely it will be done in AZ by sos. I have someone wanting my chipped ecu but I would be willing to give you a good deal for the transmission. PM me.

Ray

Back