• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Avatar pop up text suggestion and general comments

Suggestions or Questions,

With all the questions and threads on avatars ( http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55550 ) I think maybe it would be cool if:

- You could add Alt text to your avatar so it would show on hover (maybe there is a way to do this already?)

- Maybe we could make it a norm or semi standard? This way everyone would have the opportunity to explain (if they want) details about their avatars. This is so and so, my wife, my day at the track, my favorite cartoon, whatever.

There is so much bandwidth around "what does your avatar mean?", "love the new avatar!", etc - it would probably help bandwidth and thread length as well.

Now for a comment (not sure how others feel but here it goes). Most of the avitars are fine but some of the avatars I have seen are either a little to risky for work (or passing wives) or just plain disgusting. I am sure nobody like policing these (admins doing a pretty good job) but I would be for going back to the standard pick list if it continues to be hard to admin and abused.

LOL... Those Mr.Men avatars have really bugged you, haven't they? :D

I'm in total agreement re/ avatars that are not work safe. Let's leave the animated boobs avatar for other car forums. :( I think a fixed list of avatars would be a step backward & boring... I enjoy changing my avatar once every 6mths. ;) Personally, I think admin does a great job.

We all need to use our own discretion on deciding what is offensive and what isn't. When changing your avatar, "If in doubt, dont." There's a huge grey area, for example, most guys wouldn't complain about <B>Smoore</B>'s, <B>FeetFXR</B>'s, or <B>Single Samuari</B>'s avatars. Some might.

BTW, which one of the Mr.Men cartoon avatars offended you? :p :D

NeoNSX said:
BTW, which one of the Mr.Men cartoon avatars offended you? :p :D

The round ones! LOL! :)

I love the avitars too. People really become their avatars on-line. I am sure only 1% wouldn't meet reasonable standards for decency. I also bet that it is becoming hard to admin the 1% and the fact that you can change them all the time and the many emails back and forth to the admins ("is this one ok?") must be madening.

My real comments were about the pop up text. There have been several threads getting completely off topic about people's avitars. There is also a lot of curiosity about what something means. I have gone into people's profiles trying to figure out who or what their avatar means and if we had a standard way to describe them it would be cool.

If there is an avatar you are concerned about, PM me with a link to the user's profile. I do not see them all. You are right there is a lot of gray area, but I am already much stricter than almost any other car forum I know of.

The popup text idea is interesting but I'm not going to attempt to modify the software to do it. You can submit the idea to the folks who write the software at http://www.vbulletin.com

Back