• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Awesome powered scissor floor jack for the track or home!

Well finally someone did it! They built the jack I always wanted (and even contemplated building myself).

Basically - I love the scissor jack. It is low, small, light weight, easy to maneuver, requires no oil, and very accessible. With an aluminum jack you have to shop for one that is low enough to get under our cars, it is still a back breaker to lift, it takes up a lot of room when trying to go to the track with your 4 track wheels in the car, and it requires moving all the cars out of your garage and repositioning your car in the middle so that you can move the jack around.

The only real downside of the old fashion scissor jack is it's a PITA to raise and lower.

I have tried to modify a drill to raise and lower it automatically but to no avail.

Well someone finally read my mind and built a power scissor jack and I purchased it and like it a lot.

Here is a link to it: http://www.heartlandamerica.com/cgi...=MssFind.cfg&host_id=1&page_id=152&query=jack

53511.jpg

It is on sale too! It is very easy to use. Basically plug it in to your 12v DC power socket and press the up or down button. It has an emergency lowering handle in case the fuse or the power fails. It only works on 2000 lbs (max car is 4000 lbs).

It is really perfect for the track (very small / DC powered), the garage (don't have to move the cars around and dig out the heavy jack), or anytime you don't need a very big lift. I don't know yet how durable it is over the long haul but thought others might benefit from this cool little device.

Nick, nice find.

I have two questions on this. Is it low enough to slide under a stock height NSX? (jack dimensions are listed as 4.9'' x 15.6'' x 6.3'')

Also, what is the maximum height that the jack extends to?

Thanks

matteni said:
With an aluminum jack you have to shop for one that is low enough to get under our cars, it is still a back breaker to lift, it takes up a lot of room when trying to go to the track with your 4 track wheels in the car
For $79.99, you can get this aluminum jack from Harbor Freight. Its minimum saddle height is 3" so it should handle even a lowered NSX with no problems. It only weighs 24 pounds. It fits perfectly, sideways on the passenger floor and doesn't take up much room, so you can bring it to the track with your track tires.

The height listed is the "top to bottom" height. On my car (lowered bilstein top perch / eibachs) it fits under the car unmodified but you have to lift up or roll up on a board to get it right on the tab (and not just the plate).

I needed mine even lower since I have a garage platform lift and I wanted a way to lift the car on the lift so I can remove tires at a comfortable height. I removed the top part pined to the jack and used a sawzill to perfectly cut out where the metal tabs under the NSX slide into. It took all of about 5 minutes.

BTW - I have an AL jack very similar to Kens but it is still IMO cumbersome to pick up and drag around and in the garage is not convenient because of the clearance needed to operate jack lever.

YMMV but it wins my garage tool of the year award! It even has a little light built into it so you can see what you are doing. Too cool!

Back