• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Ayrton Senna's NSX for sale

Hi,

please note that the portuguese owner of Senna's NSX put up the add but really isn't interested to sell the car... financially he doesn't need to do it... but he figured out that if someone payed him those 197K USD, then he would be willing to let it go.

As i said also, the car still is registered in Ayrton Senna's name, and he has all the official documentation in Senna's name. I didn't saw it, but i know who did, and he told me that he had goose bumps all over when he saw Senna's name on the registration title.

Thanks,
Nuno

Hi,

please note that the portuguese owner of Senna's NSX put up the add but really isn't interested to sell the car... financially he doesn't need to do it... but he figured out that if someone payed him those 197K USD, then he would be willing to let it go.

As i said also, the car still is registered in Ayrton Senna's name, and he has all the official documentation in Senna's name. I didn't saw it, but i know who did, and he told me that he had goose bumps all over when he saw Senna's name on the registration title.

Thanks,
Nuno

I'm glad this guy doesn't "need" to sell the car! And maybe if someone gave him an unbelievable amount of money for it "he just might let it go" - man - he's just out for the money or he wouldn't have put it up for sale. He sees a golden opportunity, he thinks, to cash in on the Senna name. Oh boy - he's a nice guy :rolleyes:. Anyway, folks let cars go for all sorts of reasons and who knows why this guy is willing.

I have one question - I don't know how one does business in Portugal - but here I would suppose that when a title changes hands the name does to on all the paper work unless you are a dealer??? Isn't that right. I mean a dealer can take posession of a car and not actually transfer the title - it's a different set up for them to allow them to sell and charge taxes. So I guess maybe this "nice" guy that doesn't need to sell maybe a dealer? Anyone know how it works in Portugal?

I just want to know, out of curiosity whether the guy sells the car. To some it might be a big enough deal to pay that.

BTW - I think anyone should know that Senna's NSX would be worth more than "Joe Blows". I don't believe that was ever the debate. It's how much it's worth and I don't believe that in 2010 that Eisenhower's car would sell for as much as it did in 87 - I could be wrong. Eisnehower has been gone a long time and so may many of his supporters and folks that actually remember all that and his importance at the time. It's not like George Washington's boat - you know the famous one in the painting....which probably doesn't exist. Anyway this is all conjecture on my part about what something is worth. I have no idea what his personal car is worth. So hopefully we can get a chance to keep up with this Portugal sale of Senna's car. I haven't seen any add - so maybe it's not on the internet. I haven't seen anything on the one in this country that shows a ton of documentation or even makes the claim that the person has it.

We'll see, hope someone keeps us posted.

Real_Indiana_Jones.jpg

It belongs in a museum.
lmao!

Last edited:
Agree 100% with Tbromley!

I'd pay market value or less (I am always looking for a deal!).

If it was used in a race he (or anyone else) drove in, I wouldn't want it at all.

I like my cars for me. I like them as close to new condition as possible. Racing them does not make this possible.

Just my opinion and likes/dislikes.

I'd have to have some pretty serious proof it was his first of all. I went to the thread and the one he supposedly kept in Brazil was black and the one in Portugal was red......something makes me wonder?

You know a lot of folks think that because some famous person owns a car that in itself makes it something special. I don't agree necessarily. It's not like this car was raced or won races in the hands of Senna. It has no race history - other than maybe Senna took it to the track. A while ago there was an artical in Excellence magazine about the 356 Speedster that Steve McQueen owned, how nice it still was, and that his son owned it and drove it and doesn't plan on selling it but plans to enjoy it like his Dad did, etc., etc. That's kind of what we have here.

Now on the other hand if this was a famous race car with real race heritage, won at 24 hours or something, and was driven by Senna in those races and is a one or two off - then it would be worth some serious cash - this NSX is not like that. I've seen other stars that have owned cars that didn't do that much "serious" money at auctions before - so I'm thinking this one falls more into that catagory. Not a real true classic for the "vintage car races at Monterey" - so does it have added value that Senna owned it - yes probably so - how much is the question. It is not priceless by any stretch in my opinion.

My 2 cents....and that's all it's worth too....

Hi,

I'm glad this guy doesn't "need" to sell the car! And maybe if someone gave him an unbelievable amount of money for it "he just might let it go" - man - he's just out for the money or he wouldn't have put it up for sale. He sees a golden opportunity, he thinks, to cash in on the Senna name. Oh boy - he's a nice guy :rolleyes:. Anyway, folks let cars go for all sorts of reasons and who knows why this guy is willing.
well... there can be a lot of reasons...i don't believe money is one of them... as this guy has plenty....he has a Honda dealer in Algarve and some other dealers of other brands.

I have one question - I don't know how one does business in Portugal - but here I would suppose that when a title changes hands the name does to on all the paper work unless you are a dealer??? Isn't that right. I mean a dealer can take posession of a car and not actually transfer the title - it's a different set up for them to allow them to sell and charge taxes. So I guess maybe this "nice" guy that doesn't need to sell maybe a dealer? Anyone know how it works in Portugal?
well... the law changed recently. Before it was possible to have a car in last owner's name forever, which in my opinion is bad citizanship. Now, the taxes are collected to the registered owner of the car, so when anyone sells a car, it's in their best interest that he make sure that the car changes ownership to the new guy, or he will be charged.
In this specific case, Senna's NSX, there is more into it. As the car is in Senna's name, and Senna died back in 94, the car's taxes, inspections and insurance are not up to date, so, when this happens, after 5 years (i think) the car is considered dead by the government. To legally bring it back to life, a special inspection has to be done, the car will have a new registration with a new license plate. In Portugal each car have it's own license plate from birth to death, with only rare exceptions (like this one i explained).

A dealer have to either register the car in his name or notice the DMV that the car is up for sale and so, it can skip taxes until it's sold... for this to happen, the car cannot circulate in public roads.

I just want to know, out of curiosity whether the guy sells the car. To some it might be a big enough deal to pay that.
if i'm aware of any news, i'll post it up :wink:

So hopefully we can get a chance to keep up with this Portugal sale of Senna's car. I haven't seen any add - so maybe it's not on the internet.
it was on the internet... i searched and can't find any add anywhere... i will ask some local friends if they know anything about it.

I haven't seen anything on the one in this country that shows a ton of documentation or even makes the claim that the person has it.
This dealer owner had it in his dealer's showroom with the Registration title also shown for everyone to see... i don't know if it still is in the showroom.

Nuno

Nuno if Senna's car is in the showroom it would be superb to see recent photos of the car.

Keep us posted on any news or photos.

Jetpilot

Thanks for all the info Nuno - I know there are a lot of folks that would like to keep up with this sale.

Maybe this dealer, as I thought he may be, was selling this car to generate some activity for his other cars and showroom. Not a bad way to do that. It would surely get some folks in the door.

Still when you look at things like this - making money is usually at the bottom of it. He may be rich and not need the money - but when you have a lot - sometimes you need a lot to keep it all together.

Thanks for all your posts....

Hi,

Nuno if Senna's car is in the showroom it would be superb to see recent photos of the car.

Keep us posted on any news or photos.

Jetpilot

well.. i have to drive a total of 600kms (about 372 milles) to take them... i will try to know if he still have it there :biggrin:

Thanks for all the info Nuno - I know there are a lot of folks that would like to keep up with this sale.

Maybe this dealer, as I thought he may be, was selling this car to generate some activity for his other cars and showroom. Not a bad way to do that. It would surely get some folks in the door.

Still when you look at things like this - making money is usually at the bottom of it. He may be rich and not need the money - but when you have a lot - sometimes you need a lot to keep it all together.

Thanks for all your posts....

I agree with you... for a Honda dealer, the best thing to have in a showroom is a NSX.... Ayrton Senna NSX is the cherry on the very top of the cake :tongue:

No need to thank me...i like to post .... at least whenever i know what i'm talking about (which is not 100% of the time) :tongue:

Thanks,
Nuno

It is still there in Faro....

Accidentally I found this topic and I have some pics to share with you.

As I was on holiday in Portugal last week I visited the local dealer and found out about this NSX....
There was a sign at the car with Senna's picture. At first I thought this was a story about his cooperation with Honda on the car (I don't speak Portugese).
The employee told me this story. The car is still in Senna's name and not for sale. He refused biddings of 150.000.
Unfortunately, far above my budget....

It's complete original (even has the mudflaps :smile:)
The km. are about 47.000
It has a few bits, but it still looks amazing!!!!

16430014.jpg

44524314.jpg

13740421.jpg

(Don't hate me for the bad quality... I have more, but have to check the quality)

Last edited:
I wonder what you could find under the seats?

Well Kookoo - if they haven't thought of that one I'd be really surprised. It's most likely just clean as a whistle - not even an DNA evidence I suspect. Pretty neat - not for sale - mmmMMM - I thought so - it's there to suck folks in for his other cars. Pretty cool though. He must be making a lot more off of it sitting there than the 150k he passed up - ya think?:wink:

Still it's cool! I mean really who wouldn't want Senna's car - just like that Speedster of McQueens in Excellence - who wouldn't have wanted that!

It is still there in Faro....

Thank you for the pics! Glad to see the one in Portugal with visual validation and not just by anecdotal description.

I think it's smart for the dealer to leave that in the showroom so people can check it out. I wonder if he markets it as such or by just word of mouth?

Sometimes the ridiculously high price is to pre-empt people from inquiring;
I have seen that with desirable real estate, the "for sale" sign has a price 5 to 10 times the current market value; I suppose they might sell, because everyone has his price but...

Would be nice if the dealer moved it to a different location in the building. Hate to see that car get beat on by the sun on the right side all day long.

Hi,

thanks for the photos... glad to know that it still is here in Portugal :biggrin:

Glad to see the one in Portugal with visual validation and not just by anecdotal description.

with these photos, the descriptions don't seem so anecdotal now, do they?

Nuno

And what about now? Is the car still on Nipomotor? Does it belong to the original Nipomotor owner, or to that guy named Marques da Silva, owner of MSCar, Nipomotor's group?

I do have to go to Algarve someday.. :biggrin:

Thanks!

Would be nice if the dealer moved it to a different location in the building. Hate to see that car get beat on by the sun on the right side all day long.

Okay, so someone else was thinking that too. Good. I thought it was just me. I could very easily see the red paint fading in just the areas exposed to the sun.

It is so weird to see Senna's actual car. It just looks 'different' somehow just by knowing it was his.

Senna_NSX1.jpg

So I guess this is THE one...

with these photos, the descriptions don't seem so anecdotal now, do they?

Indeed. Hence my post and the definition of the word "anecdotal."

On other news, I was surprised that Senna, the movie, didn't have a little bit of his involvement with Honda. Especially considering their close relationship. Maybe there will be Senna II movie. ;)

But there sure were a Hell of a lot of Honda logos, and one NSX sighting.

Hi,

Did anyone buy the car yet or is it still in the showroom?

last summer, Prime member Brylek wanted to come and see Senna's NSX in person.... so i called the dealer and asked if
the NSX was still there... Sadly they told me the owner picked it up and moved to his private collection, on his own private
showroom :frown: ... and not available to public anymore (i even asked for a payed visit).

Nuno

Last edited:
Back