• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Back up camera install

Several ways to do this:

1) Use a camera that's incorporated to the license plate frame
2) Custom camera mount near the license plate area
3) Modify center tail light garnish (drill hole bigger) and put in keyhole
4) Buy camera with diameter intended to replace trunk key assembly

I have the camera incorporated in the frame. The question I have is that there is a bare red and black wire that I assume is for the power. How do you tap into the back up light to supply the camera?

Don't use the reverse lamp for power. Instead use constant battery power when ACC is on. There's probably a PIN in the OEM CD changer that has this. Otherwise, you may have to run it to the fuse box in the driver's side kick panel. The advantage of doing this is if you decide you want to view the camera while NOT in reverse gear, the camera will have power.

pingu81 is correct,however ,please think about how you wire this,,you can easily get caught up in looking at your screen while driving forward on street or highway,if you use the reverse light for power ,this wont happen so you will not be tempted to have a look while driving! so its your choice,be safe bro

Back