• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

BackUp Light Switch removal

This is for a 1991 manual NSX. How do you remove the backup light switch? Is it screwed in or does it just pull out. I've seen reference that it is on a bracket but the only bracket I see is the one holding the connector.

Regards,

Drew Altemara

Not yet. I checked the bulbs and fuses which are OK. I'll pull the connector tonight and see if I have voltage there with the ignition on and car in reverse.

Hi Drew,

It is screwed into the trans case. Check this, part #22

http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org...omp=List All&vinnoT=&trim=&trans=&view=normal

BTW, typically the backup lights have issues right after a clutch job or any other reason the trans was pulled;). The connector must "snap" completely into the engine wiring harness. If the bracket (#18) is bent slightly, it can keep the connector from fully snapping together and it does not make good contact.

HTH,
LarryB

A few things to try:

1. Using a paperclip, jump(short) the connector on the ENGINE WIRING HARNESS SIDE, (keeping it insulated, of course), the backup lights should come on.

2. Using an ohmmeter, test continuity of the switch with the trans in and out of reverse.

3. If both tests pass, the connector is not properly seated, check for bent bracket;).

Actually I would check for #3 first, could solve it real quick:).

Regards,
LarryB

Tried #3, no dice. Can short through with paperclip and get back up lights. No continuity on switch when in reverse. Pulled switch. Has to be in the extreem "all the way up" position to function. Time to order a new switch.

One last question. The service manual 23-202 says that it is very important to have a washer installed between the switch and case. I do not have a washer. Is this simply a thin metal washer or is it rubber. And I can't find it on the parts diagram for the transmission case where the back up switch is located.

Any idea what this washer looks like and is made of?

Almost there.

Drew Altemara

One last question. The service manual 23-202 says that it is very important to have a washer installed between the switch and case. I do not have a washer. Is this simply a thin metal washer or is it rubber. And I can't find it on the parts diagram for the transmission case where the back up switch is located.

Any idea what this washer looks like and is made of?

Almost there.

Drew Altemara

That must be for the "other" type NSX;). Never have seen a washer there, in too many transmissions to count. Use Hondabond sealant on the threads and run it in, you will be fine.

Maybe there were some very early transmissions that had this washer. Remember the service manual for the 1991 was written way before they were built:).

Regards,
LarryB

Back