• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Bad Ignition Switch?

Well tonight at an NSX gathering, I went to start my car and it fired right up like usual, but then died right away. Thanks to the group I found that when my Key is in the on position its dead. So to keep it running my ignition has to be a little turned back a little before the on position to keep it running. I've heard of this problem with a lot of Hondas, but not the NSX. Any one had this problem happen? Anyone know if you have to pull off the dash to get to the ignition? 'cause I know the labor on pulling the dash sux.
Thanks
Mike

It is much more than likely your ignition switch... not your harness. As you have correctly said, several others have had this ignition switch problem as well. You do not need to pull out your dash to replace, and it shoud be pretty easy to replace yourself if that is what you're inclined to do.

I had the same problem a year ago and my car would start then it would immediatly die. Here is how I determined that it was the switch, turn the key to start the car and when the car starts release the key back a little bit (not all the way back to where the factory return is)and the car will stay running, but play around and let the key return to were it usually does the car will probably die. Inside the ignition switch it is spring loaded to where the key returns after the car is started and when that starts to wear out then the key returns to any spot, most likely the off spot. To replace the switch is like 2 bolts on the knee bolster, 2 bolts on the knee bolster bracket under it(steel plate). Once that is off you can get to the ignition switch. Let me know if you need any help.

nsx24 said:
I had the same problem a year ago and my car would start then it would immediatly die. Here is how I determined that it was the switch, turn the key to start the car and when the car starts release the key back a little bit (not all the way back to where the factory return is)and the car will stay running, but play around and let the key return to were it usually does the car will probably die. Inside the ignition switch it is spring loaded to where the key returns after the car is started and when that starts to wear out then the key returns to any spot, most likely the off spot. To replace the switch is like 2 bolts on the knee bolster, 2 bolts on the knee bolster bracket under it(steel plate). Once that is off you can get to the ignition switch. Let me know if you need any help.

NSX24 This is EXACTLY what mine is doing. If it that easy I can do it myself. Do you happen to know what par or part number I need?

Thanks a ton

The whole ignition switch does not need to be replaced only the electrical portion. It has two screws that hold it on the back of the switch housing. The part should run you $60-$80.

Bruce

PettittsAuto said:
The whole ignition switch does not need to be replaced only the electrical portion. It has two screws that hold it on the back of the switch housing. The part should run you $60-$80.

Bruce

Bruce thanks, do you happen to know the part #?

PettittsAuto said:
The part # is 35130-SL0-A01 list price is $84.14.

Bruce

Bruce Thanks again. I just ordered it from Ray Laks, $52.50 no shipping, no tax.

PettittsAuto said:
The part # is 35130-SL0-A01 list price is $84.14.

Bruce

Thanks for supplying the part #. Mine just started the same symptoms today. Ordered a replacement from Niello.

My 91 is acting very similar to the cars in this thread. Does anyone have any current info on pricing for the switch. Thanks.

Peter in sunny F L A

Try this

http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Ignition_Switch

The article tells you how to remove the switch. It isn't hard, espcially if you are contortionist.

It also tells you how to clean and reassemble the switch (which I did and can assure you it is very simple.) By cleaning it you don't have to wait for FedEx to deliver it.

Ain't Prime grand?

Good luck

Back