• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Bad plugs or bad Coil?

Any knows how to tell if your Coil is going bad.
I noticed my car skipping about a month ago. I put new plugs in,
Ran the car maybe about 50miles. The car ran great. then car sat for a month went to crank her up yesturday and now same symptom again. the skipping is back. Maybe I am using the wrong plugs with cold weather under 11lbs of boost its not cutting it. Not sure. I have not had the chance to figure out the skipping issue yet.
Any Ideas would be most helpful. :confused:

I'd swap out your plugs and see what happens. Otherwise you can check the coils by checking the resistance between the posts in the plug area. I believe you are looking for between 2-3 ohms, but I would have to verify if you are going to do this, I'd also have to check on which posts you are checking between.

This is what I might try....

check your spark plugs again.

Check the gap.
Are they fouled? Is one more fouled than the other?

If that is all good, you did say you let the car sit for a month, you might put some fresh gas in the car (really shouldn't matter but could be indicative of other problems, but it doesn't sound like this is the case)

listen to your idle, does it sound off?

You can also check the coil packs, I've done this on a 200sx with a distrib before but never an NSX tho so I assume it should work about the same...

remove fuel pump fuse, let car run out of fuel.
detach coil connection from spark plug...
hook up multi meter.
have someone try the ignition.

this will give you a basic idea of what is going on.

you didn't mention it so I assume you are not getting a CEL?
also does it occur across the RPM band or only at low rpm?

Ps
conjecture: If you just replaced the plugs, it would lead me to think that it's either coil packs (most likely), Fuel pump/filter/injectors (less likely, as it would prob throw a CEL), Some type of air restriction such as throttle body not opening all the way, bad motor for butterfly valves etc (least likely).

Last edited:
This is what I might try....

check your spark plugs again.

Check the gap.
Are they fouled? Is one more fouled than the other?

If that is all good, you did say you let the car sit for a month, you might put some fresh gas in the car (really shouldn't matter but could be indicative of other problems, but it doesn't sound like this is the case)

listen to your idle, does it sound off?

You can also check the coil packs, I've done this on a 200sx with a distrib before but never an NSX tho so I assume it should work about the same...

remove fuel pump fuse, let car run out of fuel.
detach coil connection from spark plug...
hook up multi meter.
have someone try the ignition.

this will give you a basic idea of what is going on.

you didn't mention it so I assume you are not getting a CEL?
also does it occur across the RPM band or only at low rpm?

Ps
conjecture: If you just replaced the plugs, it would lead me to think that it's either coil packs (most likely), Fuel pump/filter/injectors (less likely, as it would prob throw a CEL), Some type of air restriction such as throttle body not opening all the way, bad motor for butterfly valves etc (least likely).

It is with one cylinder I believe. I can tell only at low rpm.
when you get on it its kinda of hard to tell, for the car still makes
plenty of power. mainly I noticed it felt a little laggy than the norm.
I will replace the plugs again. I did do a compression test the first time around and its was good
across the board. cant remember what exactly it was.
thanks for the input guys.

Anyone knows if the make an upgrade version of the factory coils?

Last edited:
FYI - the AEM pencil coils are intended for use with a CD type ignition amplifier. They are not a drop in quick replacement for the NSX coils.

To be totally honest, I would stick with the stock NSX coils / ignition unless your are planning to get into some fairly high power levels.

FYI - the AEM pencil coils are intended for use with a CD type ignition amplifier. They are not a drop in quick replacement for the NSX coils.

To be totally honest, I would stick with the stock NSX coils / ignition unless your are planning to get into some fairly high power levels.

Thanks for the quick response! That's definitely a plus when it comes to vendors!

Any chance of you giving me a smokin deal on an fic? Hit me up..lmk

Thanks for the quick response! That's definitely a plus when it comes to vendors!

Any chance of you giving me a smokin deal on an fic? Hit me up..lmk

Unfortunately, I can't personally sell AEM parts directly. There are quite a few good companies here that sell the AEM F/IC. Give Chris at Science of Speed a call - he usually keeps a few of these in stock.

Actually , the FIC - IS - a smokin' deal!

OK.
finally had a chance to play with the car this week.
Fortunatly, when my tuner replaced my plugs a month ago,
he knocked one of the injector clip kinda loose. the injector would intermite
on and off. makeing me think It was a fowled plug.
thanks for help.

Back