• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

baffled oil pan

I ran into oil pick up problems in my Turbo Integra when It was at its peak (turbo, race susp.,big breaks, slicks) I was turning major G's in the turns, and under acc and dec. I would get pockets of air from the oil pump. The factory ECU would throw a code thus having a 5K rev limit for safety. Answer = a baffled pan was required.

Question = I now have an NSX and will be doing major mods over the next few years for the track. Does anyone here have oil pick-up problems with the stock NSX pan running slicks on the track?

T Bell said:
I ran into oil pick up problems in my Turbo Integra when It was at its peak (turbo, race susp.,big breaks, slicks) I was turning major G's in the turns, and under acc and dec. I would get pockets of air from the oil pump. The factory ECU would throw a code thus having a 5K rev limit for safety. Answer = a baffled pan was required.

Question = I now have an NSX and will be doing major mods over the next few years for the track. Does anyone here have oil pick-up problems with the stock NSX pan running slicks on the track?

A simple answer is yes, only with the NSX it is usually a blown engine, not a CEL that results. Bearing #2 is the weak link. A more detailed understanding can be found in the FAQ and using the search function.

Both Dali and SoS sell enlarged baffled oil pans, but to be extra safe, many serious trackers will only accept an Accusump or dry sump system. Both are custom setups.

Chris@SoS said:
All-encompassing plug-and-play Accusump/cooler kit to be out in about 1-2 weeks.

Cheers,
-- Chris

Hi Chris,

I have encouraged the local track NSX’s to do this; it will be good for them to have a kit.

In stock configuration- where do you plan to put the sump, and cooler?
Will it be a 1.5 or 3.0 sump? Even 1.5 would be better then nothing.
Solenoid or manual? The sump isn’t really needed unless tracking, but the pre-oil start up feature is nice.

Moroso makes an Accusump clone that is currently cheaper. Jegs or Summit.

Attachments

• trunk.jpg
    trunk.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 344
Andrie is correct, do not bother with the baffle, it might give you 3/4 of a quart more. The reason they do not work on this car is the lower bearing supports and oil pickup get in the way and you can't make a good oil dam. Acusump and a cooler is a good idea. Andrie and I have the same accumulator except he has the electric valve that has advantages except the weight. Chris is the only one to put effort into a good easy to install unit and I can't wait to see it. Dan

Why is a baffled oil pan wasted on the NSX? If you are able to get a constant pool of oil for the oil pickup everything is ok?
Shouldn’t I achieve this with a pan like the one attached in this message?

Attachments

• skiss2.jpg
    skiss2.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 281
Andrie Hartanto said:
We ruined a crank, #1, and #2 rod bearing.

Andrie, I was wondering what it looked like inside of the engine after this happened to you. A while ago my NSX's cams ground in their journals (#2 mainly, but #1 as well) in the front bank. We could never determine what had caused the lack of oiling, but I feared that I might had inadvertantly caused this complication by hard cornering while testing my sway bar set up.

Any relation here, or am I out on a limb.:confused:

Well I need to start thinking about an accusump. Last wknd at Texas World speedway I noticed that the oil pressure gauge would drop to 2 on every banked turn or banked straightaway. So I basically backed off on those turns. The pressure would only drop to 4 but it made me really nervous to watch it drop.

I wonder if a baffled pan and adding quart of oil for DE events would help some. I see the Corvette guys add a quart of oil for DE's. Anybody tried this.

TIA

Last edited:
I always make sure the oil level is a little over the full mark on dip stick before I start the car in the morning (prior driving it to the track). I also check it in mid. of the day. (Should have checked more like after every session...)

But since you are driving on TX speedway ( it's oval, right? ) I'll really get the accusump. $500 is cheap insurance not just for the engine but your own safety, IMO.

Klas said:
Why is a baffled oil pan wasted on the NSX? If you are able to get a constant pool of oil for the oil pickup everything is ok?
Shouldn’t I achieve this with a pan like the one attached in this message?

First you need to clean out all the MSPaint!:biggrin:

Based on my own experience and that of others I know, the stock oil system is all you need for track use unless (a) you're at the level of actual professional competition, and/or (b) you're driving on a high-banked oval (including "rovals" running two thirds of the oval along with an infield course).

YOMV.

nsxtasy said:
Based on my own experience and that of others I know, the stock oil system is all you need for track use unless (a) you're at the level of actual professional competition, and/or (b) you're driving on a high-banked oval (including "rovals" running two thirds of the oval along with an infield course).

YOMV.

WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ACCUSUMP

Rather then skill level (Pro vs. ?), it has more to do with your driving style and the tracks you run. V-tec is the issue, in that the majority of your oil ends up in your heads. This condition leaves less oil in the pan and the right condition for potentially starving the pick-up even if it’s momentarily. So if your like me (Even in my first track days) and you like to keep the RPM high, thus in V-tec. And if you frequent a track with an extended sweeper or even heavy braking just after extended V-tec, then you risk momentary starvation that an Accusump will pick up. A baffled oil pan can help in addition to keeping oil off the crank weights for less HP loss, but the best solution is an Accusump, and if you have the budget use both.

A good example is someone I know who is so new that he is reluctant to go over 140 MPH at VIR, so he doesn’t shift up to the next gear. Instead he stays in gear and revs 7000 to 8000 all the way up the long back stretch (A very extended V-tec condition), then he brakes hard at the end of it. This is defiantly a condition where the opposite of a pro should have an Accusump.

I’m also reminded of a team that had the same opinion when I joined; I noticed the lack of an Accusump and made them promise that they would have one installed before the next race. (I also added “If you make it to the next race)… sure enough the engine starved of oil in the turn before the front stretch at Daytona and destroyed everything, Crank, block, heads, pistons, all of it. I defiantly didn’t need an “I told you so”.

I'm going to be running California Speedway on street tires on a roval, should I be worried? My oil is currently right at the full mark on the dip stick. Should I attempt to top it off a little more? Do I even need to be worried since I am on street tires (eagle f1 ds3's)?

Again - for road course use in drivers schools, you simply do not need a baffled oil pan or an Accusump (unless you want it for bragging rights on the bench racing circuit :) ). The stock system is more than adequate. As for high revs, pretty much any time you are driving on the track, you should be in the lowest gear possible without exceeding redline, which means you're spending the entire time between 6K and 8K RPM. I've got over 10K actual track miles on my NSX with its stock oil system (with somewhere around 750 of those miles on "rovals") with no oil problems whatsoever.

Scin said:
I'm going to be running California Speedway on street tires on a roval, should I be worried?
No.

Scin said:
My oil is currently right at the full mark on the dip stick. Should I attempt to top it off a little more?
No. Overfilling the oil is not a good idea, because it can cause foaming at the pickup point.

Scin said:
Do I even need to be worried since I am on street tires (eagle f1 ds3's)?
No.

You might be worried if you were running the entire oval (without the infield course) for a sustained time. Not with the infield course. Have fun!

ak said:
Is there any negative effect of having a baffled oil pan?

I guessed it's how you look at it and how you take all the experts' experiences and advises.

Seems to me that they all agreed that the baffled pan is somewhat marginally better than stock pan, but not really useful...

then the disadvantage of the baffled pan would be its selling point:

1. extra oil capacity = more money for oil change...
2. Its high cost.
3. Aluminum structure does not take impact as well as stock one. (It will crack instead of dented)

Back