• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

BAR Honda Shatters Track Record

I like the the new colors.

It would be nice to see honda be strong this year. As much as I like Ferrari , I'd like to see another team (any other team) do well this year. F1 has gotten a little boring. Last year was better because there was some drama but I'd like to see a real shoot out this year with someone winning other than Ferrari.

T Bell said:
What do you guys think of the new radical front design of the Williams BMW?

The Williams car is freaking hideous.. I think I'd almost rather look better losing than win in that car.. Almost. ;)

Geez, so that is what Williams' new "tusk" car looks like, eh?
Not the most elegant looking thing, but if it works...

I understand some of the other teams have revised fronts, but haven't been introduced yet.

What happened to Williams' Budweiser sponsorship? The car was sporting the Bud logo in the last race last year, and I heard the sponsorship would run through '06.

Don't know if anyone has heard... but BAR admitted to sand-bagging so their fast lap time isn't quite as impressive as we all first thought. The fast lap they did was pre-planned and they had just enough fuel to do the lap. I'm still hopeful they'll have a better showing this year.

That isn't sand-bagging, that's just going out on low fuel with the purpose of breaking the record.

I don't know guys.. I'd love to be optimistic about Honda and BAR this year, and the car seems good and the engines do seem to have the grunt.. But they've had so many huge, catastrophic engine failures... I'm just not that optimistic that the reliability is going to be there. I'm also concerned that the performance isn't going to be there come Sunday's race. The cars might practice and qualify well and have nothing left for the race.

Still, Honda's CART and IRL experience will help. They do know how to build a 500-mile motor..

-Craig

BAR has set the best lap during testing this year, but the track has been changed during the off season so the times set by Button and the new record today set by Sato are good but not a true reflection on last years times. Call me crazy but I like the BMW.

I'm not familar enough w/past testing history to comment if the front running teams (Williams/Ferrari) show their stuff traditionally. I assume not b/c I see only test drivers for the most part. In addition, w/the front wing on the Williams, I wonder if they are learning how to come to grips with that thing! I would love to see the downforce/drag numbers on that in comparison to the FW26.

Still it is encouraging and lets hope they get in the mix much like the Renault did last year.

Turn up the volume and let the season begin!

Interresting, This discussion is so common it got me to thinking,is the technolgy of f-1 so amazing that it has reduced the importance of driver skill to the point of superfluesness?My point is we all talk about lap times in f-1 as if it is all about the car,whereas in most regular motorsport it is equal parts driver and equipment,any thoughts?

docjohn said:
Interresting, This discussion is so common it got me to thinking,is the technolgy of f-1 so amazing that it has reduced the importance of driver skill to the point of superfluesness?My point is we all talk about lap times in f-1 as if it is all about the car,whereas in most regular motorsport it is equal parts driver and equipment,any thoughts?

Always bet on the jockey - not the horse. In a race scenerio Shuey would win a lot of races with another team. Doubt we will get to see my theory in action - but traditionally the best driver (with a good car) will beat a good driver (with the best car) IMO.

Just ask Mario Andretti who won major champoinships with often what was not the best equipment in the field.

matteni said:
Always bet on the jockey - not the horse.

Well said, the one thing that has turned more the a few drivers away over the years is the lack of good quality rides that match the level of the driver.

You got the money, you get the ride the horse. Granted it doesn't apply in f-1 for the most part, but you get my drift.

matteni said:
Always bet on the jockey - not the horse.
I'd sure like to think there is a reason that Shuey gets paid the big bucks. :) If there was not, I'm sure there are a plethera of clowns like me that would be willing to fill the seat. :eek:

KGP said:
I'd sure like to think there is a reason that Shuey gets paid the big bucks. :) If there was not, I'm sure there are a plethera of clowns like me that would be willing to fill the seat. :eek:

Last I heard he was getting around 85 million this year from Ferrari and all his endorsements etc.

Back