• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

BaseBall Chat

With the start of the 2013 upon us how does your team look and what do you think this seasons
talking points will be?

I LOVE the A's and am enthusiastic about the A's chances of being a serious competitor on the American League west.

I'm somewhat optimistic as the Mariners are moving in the right direction. Their pitching was pretty good last year (obviously Felix is a stud if healthy) and their bats seem to be finally producing (I know they're hitting against questionable talent, but so is everyone else). I don't know this year is anything to get too excited about, but with a 10 game preseason winning streak I haven't been this hopeful since 2002.

I too feel the AL West is pretty open as the Rangers have seemingly lost more talent than they have acquired, and the Angels didn't live up to their talent last year so I'm not sure this year will be different (hope not). Don't know much about the Astros, so that's also a new wrinkle.

We open against the Athletics so that should be a fun divisional series to watch.

I'm a long suffering Mets fan (I know, that is redundant.....) so my only hopes are that if they are going to suck that they do it quickly so I can get deeply discounted great seats off of Stubhub.

The one thing I look forward to every season is continuing a tradition since 1990 of traveling to a different park each season with some buddies from law school.

For you baseball fans who might be too young to remember some of the "old" stadiums, check out my site:

www.DeadStadiumTour.com

Hoping the O's have another good season after so many bad ones.

Last edited:
Life long Cubs fan......... 'nuf said :frown:

although......my 2nd favorite team is any team playing the Junkies so....... guess I have something to root for after April :tongue:

I would like to comment on some of the posts all at one time:

1) I think the Mariner's will be much improved this year and will surprise some. It would be nice one year not to open up against the M's speaking as an A's fan.
2) Sandy Alderson has the Mets going in the right direction. You have some great core players to build on. Who would not LOVE David Wright on their team. Wright was the heart and soul of the WBC and without him all the air went out of the US teams chances.
3) The O's were such a great story last year. Showalter is a wonderful mgr and if not for the A's clinching the west would have surely been the manager of the year. I was surprised they did not bring back Saunders to pitch for them again this year?
4) The Pads are going to give the Giants a run for their money. I think that they will not compete for the division, but match up well against the Giants.
5) I went to my first Giants game in 1962. I saw my first A's game in 1972. From that point on I have never looked back at the Giants. You have to give the Giants their due finally winning a series in SF after 50 years. I cheer for the A's not the Giants.
6) My deepest condolences to any Cubs fan. Seriously 100 years+ without a ring - oh my..........

I would like to comment on some of the posts all at one time:

1) I think the Mariner's will be much improved this year and will surprise some. It would be nice one year not to open up against the M's speaking as an A's fan.
2) Sandy Alderson has the Mets going in the right direction. You have some great core players to build on. Who would not LOVE David Wright on their team. Wright was the heart and soul of the WBC and without him all the air went out of the US teams chances.
3) The O's were such a great story last year. Showalter is a wonderful mgr and if not for the A's clinching the west would have surely been the manager of the year. I was surprised they did not bring back Saunders to pitch for them again this year?
4) The Pads are going to give the Giants a run for their money. I think that they will not compete for the division, but match up well against the Giants.
5) I went to my first Giants game in 1962. I saw my first A's game in 1972. From that point on I have never looked back at the Giants. You have to give the Giants their due finally winning a series in SF after 50 years. I cheer for the A's not the Giants.
6) My deepest condolences to any Cubs fan. Seriously 100 years+ without a ring - oh my..........

I appreciate the sentiment :)
Following the 2003 season, I am convinced I will Never see the Cubs win the World Series in my lifetime... and.... honestly.. I've come to accept that notion.

As a Cubs fan, after the first 7-10 games of each new season, I'm already looking to the following year' spring training :frown: sucks but.... such is life as a Cubs fan.

- - - Updated - - -

3rd gen Giants fan here... 2 out of the last 3 WS aint bad! With LA retooled this should be interesting. Go A's too!

"Ain't bad"?!?!
Actually it's freaking amazing! Congrats!

Astros picked a great time to move into the American League West. With $25MM in salary A-rod who may miss the entire season makes more then the entire Astros team. I really enjoyed watching the Astros when they had all the B-boys and the bee buzzing sound. A real baseball fan knows what is happening in the game and not only just what is happening on his favorite team.

My picks for division winners (see below) in 2013 - what are yours?

AE - O's
AC - Tigers
AW - A's - I had to it's my team
NE - Nats
NC - Reds
NW - Giants - I would love to say the Dodgers here, but I do not think you can buy a world series.

On the subject of buying a ring. The Yankees were typically the highest payroll team for the the last dozen years and they
only have one ring during that time. Lesson to be learned for the Jays and Dodgers. You need a blend of young talent and
veterans to yield the best results - IMHO.

Astros picked a great time to move into the American League West. With $25MM in salary A-rod who may miss the entire season makes more then the entire Astros team. I really enjoyed watching the Astros when they had all the B-boys and the bee buzzing sound. A real baseball fan knows what is happening in the game and not only just what is happening on his favorite team.

My picks for division winners (see below) in 2013 - what are yours?

AE - O's
AC - Tigers
AW - A's - I had to it's my team
NE - Nats
NC - Reds
NW - Giants - I would love to say the Dodgers here, but I do not think you can buy a world series.

On the subject of buying a ring. The Yankees were typically the highest payroll team for the the last dozen years and they
only have one ring during that time. Lesson to be learned for the Jays and Dodgers. You need a blend of young talent and
veterans to yield the best results - IMHO.

I agree with all of your picks except for the O's; I actually like Tampa to win the East this year. I also agree with your take on the Dodgers.

Anyhow, I see a Giants v Rays W/S

My .02

Im a die hard Yankee fan but this year doesnt look so good. Opening day monday and super excited. Baseball is the only sport I follow and like. I have a long commute to work and love to listen and follow a game on my ride home. Makes the time fly.

I love your Rays pick Wag. Maddon is such a exceptional mgr. the Rays remind me of the A's in the American League East. Rays
have lttle money, must be creative in its use and do not get the kind of fan support they deserve.

I think the Yanks are just retooling in such a way because they do not really say to their fans we are rebuilding.
With 27 World series wins nobody is feeling sorry for the Yanks as their own manager stated.

It all starts in earnest in just 30 mins.

Well the CUBS freaking SUCK again! :( :( :(
Already looking to next season :mad:

Two weeks into the season and two of the BIG spenders Angels and Jays appear to be struggling. Can you buy a championship? The Yanks thought so. They spent an average of just over $200MM/yr since 2001 and only have one WS win in that 12 year window. In other words, they spent well over 2.4 billion dollars and have only one ring to show.

Good match up tonight A's and Tigers.

Back