• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Basic track questions from future nsx owner..

jcs

Registered Member
I am currently hunting for an early year NSX to performance modify for both street and casual track use....

Have not run my cars on track before and curious about a number of things....
-do I need to take a performance driving class first...
-what are the fundamentals of car prep..
-what are the best events for someone to start participating at an entry level?
-Tires and brakes....recommendations for dual use (street and track)
Your experience and input are appreciated...
Thanks.

Most tracks will not allow you to run without some sort of instruction. Most of us run what are known as Driver Education days at the local tracks, usually sponsored by a local or regional Porsche, BMW, Audi, or commercial group like CarGuys, etc. You do not need to take a more advanced type course (i.e. Skip Barber), but you will learn a lot in a shorter period of time. More expensive, but you get what you pay for.

If I were you I would do my first couple of sessions with your car as totally stock as possible, then make changes. Do a search of the forums on equipment to have with you, these have been discussed before. As far as changes to make once you have a few sessions under you belt, these are what I recommend. Others will chime in I am sure.

1. Brake pads. Go with GOOD pads, like Carbotech, Hawk, Ferodo, etc. Change your fluid to something that has a higher boiling point. Bleed often.

2. Tires. Stock Yokos or B'stones are great track tires. I have also used B'stone SO3's with much success. Have not liked the Michelins as well, but others have. Do not even think of R compound yet.

3. Shocks and Springs. A firmer shock and or spring, and lowering the car will feel much faster, but will lower the time it takes for the car to go from stable to unstable. A must once you have done this a few times.

The most important part of the car is you. The driver makes the most difference in how fast you go and how quickly you make laps. These other parts make the job more fun and sometimes easier, but driver education is the best way to seriously reduce lap times.

------------------
Gary Yates
1995 Red/Tan Boooleevard Cruzer
1992 White/Black Track Rat
2002 Red and White Cooper S - for sale, please inquire

Over and above that I would recommend looking at your lines to make sure they are in good condition.
If you are unsure it may be best to replace them altogether.

The NSX is a very good car to go to the track with, but I would highly recommend a car like a Miata or other FR car for a first timer at the track as they are a bit easier to control. The NSX's signals are subtle and a bit difficult to pick up for people with little or no track experience.

Back