• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

battery draining problem

Past 2 days when I try to start my car. The battery been drained..but when I jump start it and it starts up right away... Nothing is on for it to drain like that. Could it be cold wheather? It's been like 50 degrees the past 2 days. Is there anything I should be checking?

I have had the same problem, just on a 98' Acura CL, and it would drain the battery within about 7 hours, what I ended up doing was a parasitic draw test, watch this video on youtube: http://youtu.be/KF1gijj03_0
You will need a multi-meter and then you just go thru all the fuses to find which item is causing the drain, the 1st ones to come to mind is, aftermarket alarm or aftermarket stereo/amp. On my CL it was a bad relay causing something to stay on.
Let me know if you have any questions and I can help you troubleshoot.
Goodluck.

Last edited:
You can also check the extra line (my catr has one) on the battery terminal - there is a fuse enclosed in a plastic cycliner and it could be that it unscrewed a bit and therefore lost the connection..........mine did the same thing and when i checked it was ever so slightly undone. Tighened it up and worked great ever since..........not sure if your car has that or if that is the issue but no harm checking......

Thanks guys. Yes I do have the extra line. I will check to see if it's lose

- - - Updated - - -

Weird thing is I don't have an after market alarm or a radio hooked up.

I kinda have the same problem. I thought it was the battery and bought a Sears Diehard. Seemed great for awhile but recently it started again. Wouldn't start on first key turn. When the battery was brand new, it purred once I turned the key. Now I have an after market stereo. How does that affect it and what can I do to prevent it?

Past 2 days when I try to start my car. The battery been drained..but when I jump start it and it starts up right away... Nothing is on for it to drain like that. Could it be cold wheather? It's been like 50 degrees the past 2 days. Is there anything I should be checking?
How old is the battery? NSXs are notorious for drawing on the battery and this issue is made worse when you drive the car infrequently. If the battery is old (more than 4-5 years) chuck it and get a new one and invest in a battery tender.

How old is the battery? NSXs are notorious for drawing on the battery and this issue is made worse when you drive the car infrequently. If the battery is old (more than 4-5 years) chuck it and get a new one and invest in a battery tender.

+1, go to your nearest AutoZone, mechanic or auto parts store and have the battery condition checked. Battery testing is free at most places that offer it.

You can also check the extra line (my catr has one) on the battery terminal - there is a fuse enclosed in a plastic cycliner and it could be that it unscrewed a bit and therefore lost the connection..........mine did the same thing and when i checked it was ever so slightly undone. Tighened it up and worked great ever since..........not sure if your car has that or if that is the issue but no harm checking......

GECKO, are you talking about the extra line on the negative terminal? I have one, but didn't know what it was for. btw, I have a 91 NSX. My battery went dead after 5 days of not driving it

Yes, my new battery went dead after a couple of days, checked battery at the local shop and it was good and held a full charge, but the screw end holding the fuse was loose and shorted out the battery or just didn't put enuf juice to it. Since it's a plastic cylinder I put electrical tape on the ends to ensure they wouldn't loosen. Haven't had the problem in a few years. Mine's a 95 and I only put it on a tender for the winter and often don't drive the car for 3 weeks at a time when travelling several times during driving season............maybe check out that cylinder.

Yes, my new battery went dead after a couple of days, checked battery at the local shop and it was good and held a full charge, but the screw end holding the fuse was loose and shorted out the battery or just didn't put enuf juice to it. Since it's a plastic cylinder I put electrical tape on the ends to ensure they wouldn't loosen. Haven't had the problem in a few years. Mine's a 95 and I only put it on a tender for the winter and often don't drive the car for 3 weeks at a time when travelling several times during driving season............maybe check out that cylinder.

I looked at my negative terminal additional wire and did not see a "plastic cylinder". How far is it from the terminal end? I can't seem to find it on my 91 NSX. Thanks

Back