• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

battery issues, need input please.

Hi, Primers

I put my car in storage for the winter. The last time I'd started the car was about a week ago. Then today I went to start it and the battery was about dead. It has been very cold on certain nights. I've check all that I know that would cause me to believe why my battery was drained. All doors are shut tight, as well as the trunk. keep in mind that the battery was replace at acura about spring time of this year. I don't think that this is normal. please any ideals or input into this issue will be helped me out alot.

thanks

Lee

Somthing could be draining the battery slowly. I'm not sure what though. Have you considered getting a battery tender? I use it on my NSX, 4 wheeler and my RSX's battery. I switch each item up weekly.

Actually, there's enough parasitic draw from the security system etc that that can be normal. I found that in moderate temperatures, my battery would generally be able to start the car after sitting for a week, but any more than that, and it wouldn't. In combination with cold weather, which reduces its starting power, a week can be enough to prevent the car from starting.

If you're putting your car in storage, you need to do something about the battery. As recommended above, I always kept an automatic battery charger on it, the kind that charges it until it's fully charged, and doesn't charge it when it's fully charged. I know some others remove or disconnect the battery, but that renders the security system inoperative and loses the radio presets.

You can find automatic onboard chargers (small ones that mount next to the battery) as well as external automatic chargers (which you have to attach to the battery terminals - you can wire an extension cable to the front grill to make connection easier).

Last edited:
I had the same problem with my NSX in my first year of ownership. After having to jump start it a few times, I got a CTEK charger, and finally decided to replace the battery last year, as it was now 10 years old, and still going. It didn't owe me anything. Get a proper charger, you won't regret it. It takes me 30 seconds to hook it up each time, and 15 seconds to disconnect it when I want to take it for a drive. I keep it on the charger even during the summer, as it's a weekend treat, that shares it's responsibilities!!

Any recommendations on which brand of battery charger/tender to use? There's a ton on Amazon but there are some very poor (1*) reviews for Schumacher that is putting me off this brand. Can someone also tell me if a battery tender will re-charge a completely dead (but fairly new) battery?

I have this Battery Tender, and it's been great: http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-0128-Plus-Charger/dp/B00068XCQU

It is possible that a battery tender can recharge a completely dead battery, but it all depends on how dead it is. There is a point of no return for lead acid batteries.

I have had good success with having a dead battery (one that wouldn't charge by the trickle charger) in my car, jumping it with another battery, and then driving the car around.

Good luck!

Thanks. I tried using jumper cables but I couldn't get any charge flowing by the looks of it - where does one get a good ground point on the NSX?

Are you jumping it at the "jump" terminals in the engine compartment - or at the battery?

At the battery/front of the car. I didn't realize there were "jump" terminals in the engine compartment. Since you have the word "jump" in quotes, can I assume that they are non obvious/difficult to locate, or will my user manual show me exactly where these are?

Learn something new every day :)

Any recommendations on which brand of battery charger/tender to use? There's a ton on Amazon but there are some very poor (1*) reviews for Schumacher that is putting me off this brand.
I used a Schumacher onboard charger for 17 years on my NSX, and it was on almost all that time. Schumacher is one of the top manufacturers of chargers, no need to avoid that brand.

The bigger question is whether to buy an onboard charger (usually mounted next to the car's battery) or an external charger. (The answer may depend on whether you need to use the charger to charge other cars as well.) Either way, if you are going to use it often, you may want to extend a wire with a pigtail connector to an easily reachable external point (such as in the front air dam), especially if you keep your car covered.

Can someone also tell me if a battery tender will re-charge a completely dead (but fairly new) battery?
As noted above, it depends on the battery condition. Sometimes a dead battery can be recharged and its fine; in other cases it needs to be replaced. Try recharging it and then get it tested.

At the battery/front of the car. I didn't realize there were "jump" terminals in the engine compartment. Since you have the word "jump" in quotes, can I assume that they are non obvious/difficult to locate, or will my user manual show me exactly where these are?
The "hot" terminal is in the fuse box on the left side of the engine compartment, and you can use the engine block for the ground. And yes, they are illustrated in the NSX owner's manual.

I used a Schumacher onboard charger for 17 years on my NSX, and it was on almost all that time. Schumacher is one of the top manufacturers of chargers, no need to avoid that brand.

The bigger question is whether to buy an onboard charger (usually mounted next to the car's battery) or an external charger. (The answer may depend on whether you need to use the charger to charge other cars as well.) Either way, if you are going to use it often, you may want to extend a wire with a pigtail connector to an easily reachable external point (such as in the front air dam), especially if you keep your car covered.

As noted above, it depends on the battery condition. Sometimes a dead battery can be recharged and its fine; in other cases it needs to be replaced. Try recharging it and then get it tested.

The "hot" terminal is in the fuse box on the left side of the engine compartment, and you can use the engine block for the ground. And yes, they are illustrated in the NSX owner's manual.

I have the same Schumacher recommended by Larry B and it works great and does the job. Best $20 I spent.

Recently I experienced a situation in which the battery in my 91 NSX appeared drained if I didn't drive it the previous day even though the battery had been replaced within the last 6 months. After trying to pin point the problem, I discovered that over the years the connection for one of the battery terminals had been stretched so that even when tightened to the max the connection remained somewhat loose. The purchase of a copper shim for the battery post (only a couple of bucks) effectively increased the diameter of the battery post resulting in a tight connection and totally resolved the issue.

Since purchasing the NSX 22 years ago, I have never found it necessary to use onboard or external chargers even though here have been many trips for durations exceeding 3 weeks when the car has been left parked in the garage. I suppose living in a fairly moderate climate in BC may help minimize any battery start-up issues.

I really am starting to wonder if there is more drain on earlier model cars. I have very little drain on my 05 it seems, as the batteries always seem to go for very long periods. I have a tiny Shorai lithium battery that you'd expect to go 6-7 days, in fact I think another guy said 7 days was about the limit, and I have gone 16 days with zero ill effects. My original Panasonic battery as well seemed to go even longer. Months... Being I have so little drain, I am wondering if Acura caught a culprit and changed it. I know my OEM battery was smaller and lighter than most other NSX batteries too.

I always keep a battery tender on my car, so I've never experienced any drain. I hope you get it checked.

Where do drivers with a battery tender connect the -ve terminal? The instructions for mine say to connect it to the body (away from the battery), but given my earlier jump start issues, I don't expect this to work (I haven't had time to try it yet). Is there any harm in connecting it directly to the battery -ve terminal?

I connect my float charger in the engine compartment (so I don't have to remove the spare).... I connect the positive (+) to the "jump" terminal (in the fuse box on the driver's side) and the negative (-) to the nearby bolt on the intake manifold (marked with a large minus (-) sign. Been doing this way for twenty (20) years.

I connect my float charger in the engine compartment (so I don't have to remove the spare).... I connect the positive (+) to the "jump" terminal (in the fuse box on the driver's side) and the negative (-) to the nearby bolt on the intake manifold (marked with a large minus (-) sign. Been doing this way for twenty (20) years.
Done properly, you only have to remove the spare once. I have the pigtail that I just connect the CTEK to and that way I had the OEM battery for 10 years when I replaced it just because I felt it was time. Was still cranking!!!

DrDave, how are you measuring the parasitic draw?

Thx!

Edit: never mind, figured it out. doh.

Last edited:
Back