• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Battery Trickle Charge

So, (Hopefully it's not just me, and some of you run into this as well), anybody got a battery tender/maintainer/trickle charger? I drive the car maybe once every week or two. (Yeah, I know. Why do you own it if you don't drive it? - Apparently, it's "illegal" to carry children in the trunk.)

I'm goin' through new batteries at Costco every 6 months. What kind of trickle charger do you use? Brand / Model / Where you got it?

Thanks.

m

Its getting time to start thinking winter storage again. I recently purchased one of these:

SE-1562A-lg.jpg

Has anyone here used this or similar charger on a Optima battery or any dry cell battery for that matter?

I don't have an Optima battery but I do use that BT and it works fine. I wired the quick connect harness directly to the battery. Since my car is stored on a lift, I do not keep it connected all time. Just every week or two, I'll connect it for a day and keep the battery juiced.

I'd like to come up with a fool proof method that will let me charge the battery while the lift is up. Aka, something that automatically connects when the lift is raised. Geez, I'm lazy.

I hardwired the connection for the Battery Tender Plus onto my 2001.
It is a garage queen, and only a weekend car (when the weekends are nice).

The plug sits behind the front license plate (it's a Texas thing), so you don't see it until I whip it out! :wink:

Is there anything wrong with just disconnecting the negative terminal on the battery for the winter? Does it shorten battery life?
I did that last year. Reconnected it in the spring and the car started up. But as the battery gets older, will I run into any problem? I don't mind reprogramming the radio stations once a year.
I am afraid of the idea having a charger connected to the car and forget to unplug it before driving or have the unit malfunction and blow up my battery.

I've used my Schumacher onboard battery maintainer on conventional batteries as well as the Odyssey, and it works fine.

Whatever charger you get, it's a good idea to wire it so that the connection is easily accessible, like SamBel mentions. You don't want to have to hook up the charger to the battery terminals every time.

Also, whatever charger you get, make sure it's an "automatic" charger, meaning that it shuts off when the battery is fully charged.

fannsx said:
Is there anything wrong with just disconnecting the negative terminal on the battery for the winter?
For one thing, the alarm won't be operating.

fannsx said:
I am afraid of the idea having a charger connected to the car and forget to unplug it before driving
I keep my spare tire next to the driver's door as a reminder to unplug the charger.

fannsx said:
or have the unit malfunction and blow up my battery.
As long as it's an automatic charger, this shouldn't be a concern whatsoever. I haven't experienced any problems with my Schumacher charger, and I've used it for 3-6 months each of the past 16 winters, as well as much of the rest of the year.

nsxtasy said:
For one thing, the alarm won't be operating.
I don't care too much for the alarm. I have the car in the garage and I have practically no neighbors. Any other reasons to get a charger?

I keep my spare tire next to the driver's door as a reminder to unplug the charger..
That's a good idea.

fannsx said:
Any other reasons to get a charger?
I'm pretty sure it extends the life of the battery. And, while a new battery disconnected for 3-6 months might be able to start the car in the spring, I'm not sure that continues to be true as the battery ages.

Also, disconnecting the battery isn't as convenient as connecting a charger (especially if you use a more convenient connection as mentioned above).

But if you're happy with disconnecting the battery, why not just continue to do so? When your battery eventually dies, you can replace it and maybe consider getting a charger at that time if you think it didn't last as long as it would with a charger. (The stock battery can easily last 6-8 years if it's kept fully charged; an Odyssey can last as much as 10-12 years.)

I have an automatic charger from Sears. I've been using it for the past 6 years on my NSX during our winter months. It has settings for fast charge and quick engine start too.

Any difference between chargers for gel cell batteries and conventional batteries? Are they interchangable or not?

fannsx said:
Any difference between chargers for gel cell batteries and conventional batteries? Are they interchangable or not?

Yes there is. Instead of trying to explain it myself, go see this FAQ. FYI, if you are using an Optima battery, that is not a GEL battery. I have no idea why anyone would use a GEL battery in an NSX. Optima are spiral cell lead acid.

If you get a battery maintainer, you want something that will charge the battery and then keep it at a safe storage voltage. Not cycle on and off. That's why most of the new maintainer type chargers don't cycle. Deltran Battery Tenders have been doing this for years and are well respected in the automotive and motorcyle industries. The design of the product makes for a very convenient installation for the NSX as well. See the original thread for more info.

While the different kinds of maintainers may operate differently, you can get perfectly acceptable results using a maintainer made for conventional lead acid batteries (such as the Schumacher charger in the link I posted above, which indeed cycles on and off) with a lightweight battery such as an Odyssey. No problems whatsoever.

I just checked the prices of the trickle charges at Pepboys and Advanced Auto.

Pepboys has the Battery Tender 800 for $39.99
Advance Auto has the Schmacher SE1-12S for $29.99

You guys convinced me to buy one. I got the Battery tender 800 because of the longer wire and lighter weight. The waterproof nature of the 800 may also come in handy.

(Off Topic initially) Hmm ... this thread serves as a reminder - need to get some paint treatment - don't remember the name, something beginning with Z??? :confused:

<!--StartFragment -->
hysterical.gif

Meanwhile, here's my preference in battery maintainers - tops for convenience in my book.
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52540

MAWOnline still the cheapest place I know to buy it - don't let the primitive website put you off. The waterproof BT Jnr worth the extra just for the nice packaging vs the std Jnr (although identical in operation)

nsxtasy said:
Also, disconnecting the battery isn't as convenient as connecting a charger (especially if you use a more convenient connection as mentioned above).
Unless you install a battery kill switch. :biggrin:

(BTW, I am not arguing against chargers...just clarifying a point.)

I have a Battery Tender Plus as well. I can't say enough about them. I have one for every vechicle I own, plus my riding mower. I also have a car alarm. I live in the country and don't need to worry about theives, but I can still have my car locked in my garage without having the alarm on to drain the battery.

John McCain Racing said:
Where is that located?

It's in the engine compartment, there is a fusebox and you take the cover off and hook the positive there and you hook the negative to an engine boss point on the manifold. There is a picture of the procedure in your owner's manual. It's for jump starts but you could attach a charger there I guess. I jumped my car using the battery terminals under the front hood but I made sure the cable did not touch the battery holder which is very close to the positive post. I also used a spare battery rather than a running car to jump mine.

Back