• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

bbsc 8psi low comp engine finished

yeah. as an update, I've put 3000 miles on it with current setup and power level, done a few track events, and hit redline at least 300 times. car still starts every time, and have no issues, while getting 20+mpg.
driveability is as stock except for the noise of the blower and the power level. I'll give rides to anyone who wants to come my way if you are in phoenix. I've had the bbsc since approx 17,000 miles (61000 on it now).

yeah. as an update, I've put 3000 miles on it with current setup and power level, done a few track events, and hit redline at least 300 times. car still starts every time, and have no issues, while getting 20+mpg.
driveability is as stock except for the noise of the blower and the power level. I'll give rides to anyone who wants to come my way if you are in phoenix. I've had the bbsc since approx 17,000 miles (61000 on it now).

You, Sir, are an inspiration.

Anyone have a gut feel for how much HP a Novi 1000 with AEM, no intercooler would make ? (Cant find a 2000 with intercooler for a decent price.) Totally stock 91 engine other than headers/exhaust.
Possibly adding methanol/water to reduce detonation risk and lower IAT.

I am looking for something easy to install, inexpensive, and light.

Last edited:
non intercooled will limit your boost to 6ish I'd guess. cheap alternative to heat exchanger is methanol.

You, Sir, are an inspiration.

Anyone have a gut feel for how much HP a Novi 1000 with AEM, no intercooler would make ? (Cant find a 2000 with intercooler for a decent price.) Totally stock 91 engine other than headers/exhaust.
Possibly adding methanol/water to reduce detonation risk and lower IAT.

I am looking for something easy to install, inexpensive, and light.

I have an all original Novi 1000 setup and after adding AEM fic on my 1999 dyno'd 347 hp and 246.55 lb ft. (6 lb boost) BTW, after adding the AEM, my car runs as if it came from the factory with this setup. Absolutely no hiccups, check engine lights or any other abnormalities. I owe a great debt of thanks to AEM and Cody at LoveFab for for this seamless integration.

I have an all original Novi 1000 setup and after adding AEM fic on my 1999 dyno'd 347 hp and 246.55 lb ft. (6 lb boost) BTW, after adding the AEM, my car runs as if it came from the factory with this setup. Absolutely no hiccups, check engine lights or any other abnormalities. I owe a great debt of thanks to AEM and Cody at LoveFab for for this seamless integration.

I agree... i think if the aem was available as a piggy back like it is now.. basch might be retired somewhere with some factory cranking out bbsc's... Only CEL's i've had after the aem FIC are unrelated.. catalyst failure... EGR unit, etc..

I agree... i think if the aem was available as a piggy back like it is now.. basch might be retired somewhere with some factory cranking out bbsc's... Only CEL's i've had after the aem FIC are unrelated.. catalyst failure... EGR unit, etc..

I was out yesterday just cruzin like I used to before the BBSC. After the original install I pretty much just used the car for track days. While driving yesterday on old Route 66, I was just thinking the same thing. The car drives just like Acura intended (only faster). The thought also crossed my mind that if the AEM solution were around a few years ago, Mark would have been retired and just enjoying the royalty checks.:smile:

I saw a DIY single turbo kit for sale that someone posted a dyno chart for.
From what I remember; BBSC dyno charts they look basically the same. Perhaps a few less HP because of the mechanical drag vs "free" exhaust scroll driven power of a turbo set up, but the slopes seemed identical.
Which makes sense.

Still looking at options of a used CTSC at $8k. One weekend install ?
Turbo kits at $7k plus $1k AEM. Plus lots of time.
Found a BBSC 1000 "like new" at $3k plus $1k AEM.
Or holding out for Novi 2000 + Water intercooler for ? plus $1k AEM.
I'm assuming all would have to be tuned except the CTSC so add $1k to the rest.

I like the BBSC's easy install/removal, and cost. ( Plus its "free" in that when sold every penny, minus the tune, comes back.)
If I were going 400HP then a turbo.
Think I'd be happy with 325HP with a 3.0 stock motor, clutch, and drivetrain. I'd be happier with 50 more from a Novi 2000 + IC ;)

Still contemplating.

Last edited:
If you have the option, try to ride/drive in a car with all the options you're looking at and decide purely on what you like best. Do it up right the first time and be happy with your choice :).

( Plus its "free" in that when sold every penny, minus the tune, comes back.)
:wink: Good luck

If I were going 400HP then a turbo.
Think I'd be happy with 325HP with a 3.0 stock motor, clutch, and drivetrain. I'd be happier with 50 more from a Novi 2000 + IC ;)

It's not just the increased power, it's also a different power delivery that will make these other options (turbo or positive displacement supercharger) significantly quicker.

At the same boost pressure, the BBSC is going to be the "slowest" FI system.

It's not just the increased power, it's also a different power delivery that will make these other options (turbo or positive displacement supercharger) significantly quicker.

is that true? The bbsc doesn't have much power low in the rev range, but up high, I'm getting close to 500 HP at 8.5 psi.. how comparable is the CTSC at similar boost levels? a turbo is a different scenario of course..

The Basch system, when introduced, was the first system that tried to address fuel issues with bigger injectors. It also produced it's HP in the higher RPM's as oppossed to the Comptech which seemed to loose boost at redline. The former made it a better road course product as oppossed to the Comptech being a better "stop light racer". The only turbos at the time seemed to be blowing engines. One other slight benefit of the Basch system is that if you had a problem with any part of the system, you could just install the stock belt and keep running. As was mentioned earlier, if the AEM solution was around during the Basch installs, the NSX FI world might have been different. As it is, Mark has to be given credit for developing one of the best hardware systems. I say this because if you ever installed one, you would know what I mean. All of the parts were precision machined and fit perfectly on our cars.

is that true? The bbsc doesn't have much power low in the rev range, but up high, I'm getting close to 500 HP at 8.5 psi.. how comparable is the CTSC at similar boost levels? a turbo is a different scenario of course..

You figure a 8.5lbs CTSC, at least the old kit, could only make 375rwhp and was not considered overly safe. I have no idea what the autorotor does at 8.5 lbs. The BBSC is strong 5,000-8,000 RPM which is pretty much exactly where you are in every shift after 1st. By the way, how are you getting that much HP out of 8.5lbs? Mine at 10lbs on a 9.5:1 motor only did 412rwhp.

Last edited:
The BBSC is strong 5,000-8,000 RPM which is pretty much exactly where you are in every shift after 1st.

Which is why the Basch is looking real good. I dont want low end torque that is going to stress the clutch package. After it gets rolling, high rpm's is where the power needs to be. I know I would give up low end torque in first gear (vs comptech) to gain high end HP. Of course the turbo is the best of all worlds but complexity, cost, installation time, and the limits of the stock engine are not enough to justify it on my 91.

Also begining to like the idea of a retro modded NSX. IE what the hot set up would have been like in the 90's.
Got the Technomagnesio wheels already. ( I just love this wheel !)
A BBSC would fit the image/style and with modern engine management provide the power and reliability that was missing.

if you don't have to change out the header, turbo kit can be install in a day with 2 people

You figure a 8.5lbs CTSC, at least the old kit, could only make 375rwhp and was not considered overly safe. I have no idea what the autorotor does at 8.5 lbs. The BBSC is strong 5,000-8,000 RPM which is pretty much exactly where you are in every shift after 1st. By the way, how are you getting that much HP out of 8.5lbs? Mine at 10lbs on a 9.5:1 motor only did 412rwhp.

Im willing to bet my FM heat exchanger has a lot to do with it. Also the AEM package is much better than the ssbox, even the FIC piggy back. FWIW I "actually" only get 405 rwhp at 8.5 psi.. the methanol gave me another 21 hp.. though that was with literally zero tuning, other than dialing the meth up and down... I think if I was at 10 psi I'd probably hit 450 rwhp with my current setup.. .and DON'T THINK I HAVEN'T CONSIDERED IT! :biggrin: Especially if i eliminated my cats altogether, and maybe threw on headers... remember.. I'm still on the stock header, which although is pretty good, I'm sure there is some improvement to be had with this much power. I like to do a theoretical dyno in my head right before i go to sleep at night. I add in headers, test pipes, and 10 psi and get myself 465 rwhp.. and then i drift happily off to sleep....

Im willing to bet my FM heat exchanger has a lot to do with it. Also the AEM package is much better than the ssbox, even the FIC piggy back. FWIW I "actually" only get 405 rwhp at 8.5 psi.. the methanol gave me another 21 hp.. though that was with literally zero tuning, other than dialing the meth up and down... I think if I was at 10 psi I'd probably hit 450 rwhp with my current setup.. .and DON'T THINK I HAVEN'T CONSIDERED IT! :biggrin: Especially if i eliminated my cats altogether, and maybe threw on headers... remember.. I'm still on the stock header, which although is pretty good, I'm sure there is some improvement to be had with this much power. I like to do a theoretical dyno in my head right before i go to sleep at night. I add in headers, test pipes, and 10 psi and get myself 465 rwhp.. and then i drift happily off to sleep....

lol at the part before you drift off to sleep.
I think you should def. get the headers cause this will not only gain you power thru out the rpms but also get rid of the hot gases and this in turn will decrease the EGTs (exhaust temp) On my 92 the top speed headers made a huge difference top end. I went from 239 whp to 261whp with H/I/E. My DC sport exhaust is restrictive but its mellow and quiet. Also I have st. pipes. Before I bolt on the bbsc I wanna install the BBTB and the ported/polished intake manifold. I am gonna delete the VVIS this should have good improvements for the BBSC. I just have to find the time to get everything done.

Back