• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

BC 3.5 Stoker Pros/cons on a boosted C30A

There is a possibility my crank is a dud so i started looking at stroker kits with replacement cranks.

What are the pros vs cons with a stroker in a forced induction motor?

This is me taking a guess,

Pro:
flows more air - less lag, better spool.
More torque for when the turbo isn't in boost.
Able to support high HP numbers
Less machine shop costs as the crank wouldn't need machining, the rods wouldn't need bushing
Lighter?

Cons:
Expense
Maybe not rev as high but would it still rev to factory red line?

Please add to these pros and cons and correct me if my assumptions are wrong.

If i can stretch to a stroker is it worth doing?

Thanks.

What do you mean your crank is a dud? did you lose an oil pump? A stroker crankshaft would not in it of itself support more power, the stock crank is forged and very strong from the factory.

My BC setup once tuned properly made a lot of power......unfortunately the original builder installed two of my connecting rod caps backwards somehow, so it is just about done on a complete refresh. Can't wait to get it back....:)

Dud is like a military jargon. Get your wallet ready if you are going with stroket kit. Defenitely will increase your power band if you decide to go 3.5~3.8 boosted.

There is a lot going on when you decide to change the stroke as well as adding boost. The more important discussion should be what you want your engine to do. Horsepower goals, rev limits, peak torque, linear torque, track use, drag race, street only. Depending on how you intend to use the car should be a huge factor in how you design the engine.

Things to consider:
How much boost and what will the final compression be?
Rod angle is increased when you stroke a motor so a different piston skirt design may be needed over a short stroke motor
Piston speeds are increased so final RPM limit may be reduced
Increased displacement will require increased fuel, make sure you have designed the fuel system for the added displacement and boost.
piston pin placement may need to be offset for large boost applications

Dave

Back