• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

BC Racing Coilovers - Comprehensive Review

Thanks Honcho, I will PM you before I decide to purchase them. Anyone find out if the Swift is that much better than the regular BC springs?

Last edited:
I've got mine on order with the swift springs, 4 week lead time. Reading honchos post made me bite the bullet, can't wait to get them. Hopefully they arrive next week and install them 4/20.

I believe the Swift springs were recommend for people that might track their car

That's what I gathered...though I heard just day to day driving you couldn't tell that much of a difference. I know I am getting the BC Racing, but I am debating spending the extra $200 - 300 for the swift springs. I would probably only track the car 2 - 3 times a year so I don't know.

Anyone want to arrange a group buy?

Dave perhaps? you are the GBK (Group Buy King) To hell with Drift King haha.

I would possibly take two sets straight away with Swift springs, just convincing my brother.

I am also interested in these coilovers but I have a couple questions maybe someone can answer. I am going from a 18/19 wheel to 17/18 setup and want to lower the ride height a little. I do not track the car much and it is more of a daily driver although I drive it hard. I have the stock suspension right now. Thank you in advance for any advice anyone may have.

1. Do the coilovers lower the ride height when installed or is that what the adjustment is for?
2. Am I better off doing springs and shocks to lower or will I have more flexability to adjust ride comfort and/or height with coilover?

I am also interested in these coilovers but I have a couple questions maybe someone can answer. I am going from a 18/19 wheel to 17/18 setup and want to lower the ride height a little. I do not track the car much and it is more of a daily driver although I drive it hard. I have the stock suspension right now. Thank you in advance for any advice anyone may have.

1. Do the coilovers lower the ride height when installed or is that what the adjustment is for?
2. Am I better off doing springs and shocks to lower or will I have more flexability to adjust ride comfort and/or height with coilover?

All coilovers have adjustable height (some more adjustable than other) so yes you can lower your car once you go smaller wheels. From what I have seen, going shock and spring combo will not give you the adjustability that coilovers will. IMO, coilovers would be smoother and more adjustable than springs, but it wont be smoother than stock suspension because coilovers are technically for track/racing therefore stiffer and more harsh than stock suspension. BC coilovers are very smooth if you read previous pages on this thread and the comprehensive review. Hope that helps!

All coilovers have adjustable height (some more adjustable than other) so yes you can lower your car once you go smaller wheels. From what I have seen, going shock and spring combo will not give you the adjustability that coilovers will. IMO, coilovers would be smoother and more adjustable than springs, but it wont be smoother than stock suspension because coilovers are technically for track/racing therefore stiffer and more harsh than stock suspension. BC coilovers are very smooth if you read previous pages on this thread and the comprehensive review. Hope that helps!

as a point of clarification...the term coilover, meaning a spring shock combo with adjustable ride height, has nothing to do with whether it is track or street worthy.The smoothness is all about the spring rate and the shock valving or damping rate which controlls the excess energy stored in the spring as it compresses ...

^ you get the point, when we generally talk about coilovers, we dont think about shock spring combo. I know coilovers are technically shock spring combo. I am talking generally coilovers would be harsher than stock suspension, yes you can find some smoother than stock suspension but in general they are harsher than stock suspension.

I also have a couple of questions for you current BC owners. If I were to get these, I already know that I would get the Swift springs as well. However, I just want to be clear on how they rank up to the competition.

1. I currently have Bilstein shocks with dali progressive springs which, to be honest, I can't say I'm a fan of. I know that these are two totally different suspension setups, but can anyone give me a vague explanation or comparison of how much better the BC's are to the my shock/spring combo?

2. I believe it was clearly established that the KW's are still a better coilover than the BC's, but, in terms of performance and not comfort, how do the BC's rank to other brands like the Tein?

Thanks for your help!

^ you get the point, when we generally talk about coilovers, we dont think about shock spring combo. I know coilovers are technically shock spring combo. I am talking generally coilovers would be harsher than stock suspension, yes you can find some smoother than stock suspension but in general they are harsher than stock suspension.
...and all i'm saying is that if the shock is properly matched to the spring rate the ride will be oem like......many off the shelf "coilovers" have poorly matched shock valving and are built to a lower price point to appeal to the masses.

How much lower than OEM can be archived with these. Only using lower adjustment and not the purche.

I also have a couple of questions for you current BC owners. If I were to get these, I already know that I would get the Swift springs as well. However, I just want to be clear on how they rank up to the competition.

1. I currently have Bilstein shocks with dali progressive springs which, to be honest, I can't say I'm a fan of. I know that these are two totally different suspension setups, but can anyone give me a vague explanation or comparison of how much better the BC's are to the my shock/spring combo?

2. I believe it was clearly established that the KW's are still a better coilover than the BC's, but, in terms of performance and not comfort, how do the BC's rank to other brands like the Tein?

Thanks for your help!

1. I have driven a NSX with the Dali/Bils combo. The BC rides smoother on the softer rebound settings, meaning small undulations in the road are not as sharp of a hit, but overall the BC is firmer than both the Bils and OEM shock setups. "Better" is very subjective, which is partially what I was trying to convey in my review. I think before you think about what is "better" you need to decide what you want from the car. For street driving and even some track- the Bils are a great option. They are likely more durable than the BC and the ride is close to OEM if you use the OEM springs. Also, you can get a nice stance by using the lower spring perch. If I was a street only NSX, I would go this route.

For performance driving, the BC is definitelly a step up. It is a well-built high pressure monotube shock with decent droop. Valved and paired with performance springs like Swift, you get a very competent track setup that offers different spring/damper profiles as well as custom ride heights. As I noted in my review, at this price point, I do not think there is anything close from a value standpoint.

So, for street driving, the Bils is probably "better" since it is plug and play, easy to do, cheaper, and will last longer than the BC. For track driving, the BC wins hands down. It is an amazing and confidence inspiring suspension on a road course- I never felt like the car was nervous or unbalanced.

2. KW's are hands down better than BC from a performance standpoint because their valving is superior and tuned specifically for the NSX on a 7-rig dyno, and they are made from inox stainless steel, which means they are far more durable. They are also over $1,000 more expensive. I have driven a NSX with Tein Flex and it is junk compared to BC in my opinion. The ride is brutal, there is no shock travel, and the car felt twitchy. I think people buy Tein and pay their prices because of the brand and JDM cool factor. JMO

How much lower than OEM can be archived with these. Only using lower adjustment and not the purche.

Do you mean BC? Ridiculously low. Like, stupid "stance" low. I set mine at NSX-R height instead because I actually drive my car. :D If you mean the Bils, I believe the drop is 7/8" using the lower perch.

I meant the BC. I also should have asked. Can they also be set at OEM ride height. Not that I would ever set it there.:cool: Just wondering

Ok, So if I want to lower the car but keep a close to stock ride I would be better off using my oe springs(76K) and buying shocks use lower perch to get the drop I am looking for. Correct?

Ok, So if I want to lower the car but keep a close to stock ride I would be better off using my oe springs(76K) and buying shocks use lower perch to get the drop I am looking for. Correct?

I'm going to go with no. The BC coilovers are a GREAT alternative and very reasonable in price. For anyone looking to drop their car (and keep the stock shocks/springs intact as one) I would 100% go with these coilovers.

If you ever decide to go back to stock or sell the car, simply swap the stock suspension back in (as whole, since BC comes complete with new top hats etc) and no need for a spring tool, etc etc.

Has anyone fitted these coilovers themselves? Are they fairly simple to install/time consuming?
I'm thinking about buying some and wondered if it is possible to install them on my driveway? Never fitted coilovers before so not sure whether it can be done with a normal jack underneath the car, or does it require a 4 post lift for the suspension to drop sufficiently?

Has anyone fitted these coilovers themselves? Are they fairly simple to install/time consuming?
I'm thinking about buying some and wondered if it is possible to install them on my driveway? Never fitted coilovers before so not sure whether it can be done with a normal jack underneath the car, or does it require a 4 post lift for the suspension to drop sufficiently?

Not sure who's done a DIY install for the BCs but there are plenty of guides for other suspension setups which should basically be the same.

Removal of the OEM suspension:
http://nsxprime.com/wiki/Service_manuals (official service manuals detailing the steps)
http://nsxprime.com/wiki/Shocks_and_Springs
http://nsxprime.com/wiki/Bilstein_Shock_Install
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/41480-Recent-Post-DIY-coilover-install

Installing the BCs should be the reverse of this except you'll need to preload the springs (discussed earlier in this thread and here - http://vimeo.com/28427984#) and set the ride height (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiiId9lsgno). I think setting the right height is going to be the most tedious part of the process (adjusting, putting all of the wheels back on and lowering the car to the ground, rechecking the height, and lifting it back up and readjusting). You could always leave that to the shop and have it done with the alignment and corner balancing. I'm going to attempt the install this weekend, feel free to PM me after and I can perhaps guide you through the process.

I installed these in my garage with the car on jack stands. Install is very easy and straightforward. 3 bolts on top, 1 bolt on the bottom. Make sure you order new bottom lock nuts from Honda- you should not re-use the old ones. I found removal of the old shocks was much more difficult and had to have Prime member Dawk come help me lol.

You MUST get the car aligned after install and you also must set ride heights on 100% level ground. I chose to have Honda set both the heights and alignment on their level rack. It was an extra $100, but worth the peace of mind.

Back