• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Beefing up Transmissions

From Aussie John:

" Re: NSX market in Australia
This current thread might be of interest regarding beefing up the auto tranny:

http://nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102734

Obviously the NSX is also about driving position, looks, handling, sound etc - BUT you mention you want to add power - so it seems that straight line speed *is* important to you - so I just want to lay it out:

Auto NSXs are worth a lot less because they are slower than Camry, Commodore, Falcon, and you can't do much about it. The *only* advantage of the auto NSX is that it is slightly less taxing in city driving.

In 0-100km/h terms the manual NSX is quicker than all but the fire breathing V8s, and with ~$7,000 of mods can be at least on par with those. You get the much touted crisp gearbox, with only the fingertips being needed for gearchanges. You get to blip the throttle on downshifts. You get shorter gearing, and a direct drivetrain link between the engine and the road for immediate throttle response. You also have no power steering - and unless you are a valet driver, this is a wonderful thing.

On balance the Auto NSX is still a great car and if that is your choice, at least knowing the above it is an informed choice that you won't regret.

Post up some pics if you pull the trigger!"

Hey John,

I followed the link. Doesn't seem to say what mods are done other than torque converter and the resultant harsh drivability. An AT is very complicated and has lots of small parts that don't like being hammered - race style; Unlike a manual, which you can make as big and strong as you like.
In my day job, I supply machinery to people who make Manual and Automatic transmissions (many for the professional racing industry). If you have the budget, you can do almost anything with a manual. I haven't heard of an AT being beefed up, but if anyone wants to mod a manual, let me know & I'll put you in touch.

BTW an AT NSX is much, much quicker than any stock Camry, Falcon etc

after going through the forum it seems as though the AT can be beefed up. my question then is, is the engine on an AT the same as a MT and what is the difference between the F1 box to a normal AT

after going through the forum it seems as though the AT can be beefed up. my question then is, is the engine on an AT the same as a MT and what is the difference between the F1 box to a normal AT

gtjim , The AT engine has different INTAKE cams and tuning , I said exhaust cams in a previous post , please forgive my error . MT engine has 15-20hp+ stock over AT engine , minus drivetrain loss . Refer page 3-2 of the service manual .
located here

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Reference/1991_svcman/1991servman.pdf

No! :smile: PM sent to avoid further hijacking :)

Enlighten me . I only had a AT for a few months and have driven new stock Camry's , new 6cyl Falcons etc . Maybe off the traffic lights for a second or 2 they may have had some sort of gain . What are you saying ??? I held my own with new 350ZX's in the auto . :confused:

I hate the Camry so much , if I could could make any vehicles spontaneously combust , all at the same time , it would be that car !!

Back