• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Forced Induction Bell Aerocharger Twin Turbo Kit

SOLD Up for sale is my Bell Aerocharger (Variable-Vane, Self-Contained) Twin Turbo Kit for the NSX. This is an original $10,000 Corky Bell Aerocharger Kit with many upgrades and extras.

IMG_0820.JPG

Some details from magazines back in the day:
turbo499-b.jpg

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Media/magazines/turbo9904.htm

Before I installed this kit on my car, I had both turbos completely inspected and refreshed/rebuilt to new by Josh Kennedy ("THE" expert technician at Aerocharger/HiPerformance (www.aerocharger.com). This included disassembly, cleaning, inspect/renew the bearings, install the latest style variable vanes, and re-assemble and precision balance the entire assembly. I got the turbos back and kept them safely boxed up until I was ready to install them on my NSX.

About 3-4 months after I finally got around to installing the kit, I discovered I needed to sell my car for home renovation reasons. I had driven less than 500 miles with the kit installed. I put my car back to stock and sold it without any issues. Now I have this kit in my garage and no NSX to use it with for the foreseeable future, so it must go.

On the recommendation of one of the engineers at Aerocharger, I kept the "wedding cake" style vane/boost controllers because they have some benefits over the new "UFO" style controllers in terms of highway cruising "fatness", lowering exhaust backpressure and increasing mpg. In hindsight, the downside is that changing the max boost pressure is harder with the wedding cake style controllers. The springs in the controllers as installed are set at 4.5 psi of boost so the HP gain was "only" an additional 75HP over stock on a Dyno Dynamics dyno (The car went from 234 WHP baseline to 309 WHP). Expert NSX tuner "Mase" can vouch for the psi and hp numbers and he probably still has the dyno sheets.

With another 1-2 psi, I'm told the kit would make about 100 to 120 WHP over stock - the same or more than a CTSC. These turbos are completely safe at even higher pressures, but I would say the sweet spot would be 6.5-7 psi. I never got around to changing the boost controller springs because the kit wasn't on very long and honestly I was pretty happy with the 75+ horsepower. By the way, because of the variable vanes, the turbos made FULL BOOST at 2500 RPM! If you wanted the new style controllers, they are $120 each and do make boost pressure changes very simple and straightforward. (See the aerocharger.com website for more info). Or you could just add a manual or electronic boost controller.

The Aerochargers are 53-Series, 128 Trim turbos. Today, the two turbos alone cost $2,050 - EACH!! They were specifically sized and selected by Corky Bell (as described in his book). The benefits of these turbos is VERY quick spoolup, no oil lines or scavenge pumps to worry about, the bearings are on the cool side of the compressor, no wastegate is needed, and more. Check out the aerocharger website for the technology details. Aerocharger will give you the specialized oil for the turbos for free if you send a picture of your setup.

The fit of the kit is excellent. The exhaust lined up perfectly in my 02+ rear valance. I had dual wideband 02 sensor bungs welded into the exhaust pipes just after the turbos for precise AFR monitoring. The sound of the stainless steel Borla muffler is awesome! Even without cats, it sounded smooth and not raspy.

The kit is designed to be installed "cat-back" so even the California guys can use it, or anyone else that wants to retain the factory or aftermarket catalytic converters. On my install, I used a full AEM EMS with RC 550 injectors, and dual wide-band O2 sensors, but you could install the kit with just an FIC with bigger injectors, or even install the kit with a rising rate fuel pressure regulator and boost-a-pump setup like a Comptech Supercharger kit. The charge pipe at the throttle body has two ports for supplemental fuel injectors if you wanted to use those for fuel or meth. Comes with the twin air intercoolers that mount behind the rear wheels (like the Angus kit x2) to cool the intake charge. Twin K&N air filters that nestle high up in the rear fenders for clean and cool intake air. Before I installed it, I bought all new Hose Techniques silicone hoses and OBX T-Bolt stainless steel hose clamps. Those are included. I'm also including my rear fender liners which were trimmed to accomodate the intercoolers, so you don't have to cut yours.

The blow-off valve "BOV" recirculates to the intake so you can hear a little whistle/whoosh on up-shifts, but it's not obnoxious. Of course if you like that sound you can vent the BOV to the atmosphere for more sound.

Again, the turbos alone are worth $4,100 when new, not including all the piping, intercoolers, muffler, hoses, stainless clamps, BOV, K&N filters, fender liners, etc. I'm just trying to clear out the rest of the stuff in my garage. Asking only $2,950 plus shipping for the entire kit. Get CTSC performance for less than 1/2 the price! SOLD

Some pictures of the kit:

Everything that is included:
IMG_08141.JPG

Pics installed:
IMG_00502.JPG

IMG_00643.JPG

IMG_0058.JPG

IMG_00651.JPG

IMG_00561.JPG

IMG_00543.JPG

IMG_08211.JPG

Last edited: