• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Best 17x8, 18x10 wheel offsets?

Looking at getting some 17x8, 18x10 Antera 309 wheels. CEC recommends 38 offset on both the front and rear, what do you guys think? I do not want them to stick out! Someone on this forum has the 309's on their white NSX and they look awesome but I am not sure what offset he is using. Does anyone know? Thanks!

As noted on CEC's website. the Antera 309 wheels come with a "deep stainless steel polished lip". You may want them to clarify what they mean by that. You definately do not want any steel in a performance wheel. As far as the offset is concerned the +38mm they quoted you should fit with no problems.

Originally posted by NSXSHO:
Looking at getting some 17x8, 18x10 Antera 309 wheels. CEC recommends 38 offset on both the front and rear, what do you guys think? I do not want them to stick out! Someone on this forum has the 309's on their white NSX and they look awesome but I am not sure what offset he is using. Does anyone know? Thanks!

------------------
www.acrmotorsports.com / 949-929-8973

[This message has been edited by ACR_Motorsports (edited 28 March 2003).]

There are a couple different fitments you can use on 17/18 with the NSX. One example is the BBS LM wheel we sell. It fits prefectly with a front offset of 38 and a rear offset of 42.

We also offer the SSR GT1 in 17/18 with fronts offsets of 38, 40, 42, and 45 and rear offsets of 41, 43, 45, and 50. These varieties are based on different wheel widths for all of those offsets. My point being there is quite a bit of variance depending on the individual wheel.

Hope this helps! :)

When we talk about offsets, it will not be relevant unless the sizes of the wheels are mentioned. In the case of 17X8 in front, I have seen 38mm for the SSR Integral, 40mm on the Konig Villain, Konig Tantrum shodded with 215/40/17 without rubbing full-locks. The edge of the tire is quite even with the fender lip. For the 18X10, I have seen a lot of 45mm offsets with 265/35/18 tires without any issue. The 18x10 wheel with 38mm is probably REALLY REALLY tight to the fender edge and the clearance will be highly dependant on tire sizes and may even not clear. Also, clearance also is dependant on ride height/camber setting.
Steve

It also depends upon the style of the wheel. If the offset is wrong, it will hit the brake calipers. I have Volk AV3 wheels in 17x8 +35 offset and 18x10 +44 offset. The front tires are 215/40/17 S-02 and the rears are 275/35/18 S-02. The tires and wheels fit right out to the edge of the fenders without sticking out. There is some occassional rubbing on the front when I crank the wheel all the way. The rears are maxed out.

Litespeeds said:
It also depends upon the style of the wheel. If the offset is wrong, it will hit the brake calipers.
This is not really totally correct Sid - the first part of your statement is correct; however, the notion of offset changing will make it hit the calipers is a common misunderstanding.
The offset is the relationship of the center of the rim to the wheel flange: now what actually happens is that as the offset changes, the rim effectively moves across the plane of the hub, but if you think about it, the wheel flange itself is still bolted in the same relationship on the wheel hub - that can't change! What the offset does is move the rim across the top of the spokes to give you more or less lip. The wheel hub & caliper and wheel flange & spokes all remain in the same relationship for any given wheel design. The rim, which carries the rubber will then move in or out of the fender well as the offset changes.
In other words, the wheel flange & spokes really don't change much, if at all, so offset has very little effect on caliper clearance. That is more just a function of the wheel design & the relationship/shape of the spokes to the flange.
The primary reason for establishing the appropriate offset is to put the rim & rubber in the correct relationship within the fender well, which obviously becomes more critical the wider the rim/tire is.

Hey Ken,
Just about to catch some z's but saw your response. You are probably correct. I was thinking about my own wheels because when I bought my car, I had a set of 18x9" wheels and they did not clear my rear calipers due to the offset or possibly design of the wheel. Had to use a wheel spacer. I sold them and switched the wheels to 18x10" with a +44 offset and they just barely clear the rear calipers without using spacers. I guess what I was thinking about was the style of the center spokes didn't change but the offset did as well as the width of the wheel. It is very easy to get them confused.

Litespeeds said:
I had a set of 18x9" wheels and they did not clear my rear calipers due to the offset or possibly design of the wheel. Had to use a wheel spacer. I sold them and switched the wheels to 18x10" with a +44 offset and they just barely clear the rear calipers without using spacers. I guess what I was thinking about was the style of the center spokes didn't change but the offset did as well as the width of the wheel. It is very easy to get them confused.

You are confused again, Litespeed. Whether a given wheel clears the caliper is solely a function of the distance between the back of the spokes and the mounting surface to the hub. For example, the Techno wheels have spokes that are very outward laterally and the spokes are not very thick in cross-section. This results in very long distance between the back of the spokes and the flange(mounting surface) so the spokes can clear even the big Comptech brakes.
Steve

As an example my 10/18 rear blitz type 3 at +38 needs a 5mm spacer to clear caliper the ssr type c at +42 in 9.5/17 needs nothing.The blitz wheel is considered, reverse setting, which probably relates to the deep dish look.

Back