• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Best Car for $20k?

If it were a sports car, a 96 LT4 Corvette.
good looks, status, 0-60 in 4.7, fun as all hell to drive. just be sure to check the Insurance rates, GEICO if he is younger.

It's also one of the more reliable corvettes. The statement that all corvettes are very unreliable is a legend. Any corvette from 92 and on, when maintained, are considerably reliable cars. If you buy a 96 with 40K miles, you will have little to no worries until well over 100K. The LT1 engines are very reliable. It's the car around them that had poor build quality with many problems (electrical) in the earlier years. I owned a 96 for almost 2 years and only replaced a water pump. It was the final year of a long C4 run and the issues were all resolved by then. solid car.

If he has to have a brand new one for 20K, I can't think of a very good sports car for that much.

[This message has been edited by ilya (edited 17 August 2001).]

I picked up a 2000 civic Si. They are lots of fun. And, with the money left over from the 20K, you can get a supercharger for it and make it quick!

------------------
NetViper -= 100% Stock EBP 2000 Civic Si =- Still looking to get an NSX, but at least I can live life at 8,000 RPM!

20k will land you a slightly used,bad ass,Supra 6-speed.I paid 18 for mine.
biggrin.gif

Joe

------------------
97 NSX-T
93 Supra TT
92 Talon AWD ( For Sale )

If he can stretch a little, I'd go for a new Subaru Imprezza WRX. ALthough not in the same performance category, the Nissan Sentra SE-R and Mazda Protege MP3 are also great handling and fun to drive cars. The best part of all of these cars is that they're new and come with a warranty.

Get a leftover brand new (with factory warranty) 2001 Integra GS-R. A dealer here was selling one for around $18K, which is a heckuva deal. Dealers are trying to move them out for the new RSX.

I would also recommend an Integra GSR. I have a '94 with 125K miles. Absolutely no problems not caused by me. Starts everyday. Runs great. Quick. Great gas mileage. Carries a ton of stuff. It does everything so well its sick, and its dead reliable.

There are tons of mods for it as well.

If you can get your hands on a Type-R, definitely go that route. Blows away my GSR.

Actually, I'd save and go with an RSX Type-S. Can't beat it. Beats the Type-R and the chassis is supposedly 150% stiffer. My car is no noodle either. $5K more is all. Have your friend sell his soul!! How do you think I got my '94 NSX?

Since you're on an NSX site I assume you're a Honda guy. If you're used to Hondas and their high revving power and utter dominance in the reliability sector, you won't be disappointed.

Corvettes are the most bang for the buck performance-wise. I'd avoid a C4 though. Reliability and the C4 aren't really mentioned very often together. The C5 is much much better, but its still at a different level than a Honda. But then so is the performance/price ratio. A C5 will kill an Integra.

Good luck.

Alan

------------------
Alan Peltier
Operations Manager
HRE Performance Wheels
[email protected]

'94 black/black
No mods yet. HID on order. Needs wheels!
Performance upgrades coming as soon as I can scrape up the cash! Donations much appreciated!!

Check out our website at http://www.hrewheels.com

I'd buy a Miata: With $20k you can mod the hell out of it and have a lot of fun on and off the street.

Actually, I'd save and go with an RSX Type-S. Can't beat it. Beats the Type-R and the chassis is supposedly 150% stiffer.

It does NOT beat the Type R.
nono.gif
(I'm aware of one magazine test in which that occurred but I don't believe its results are representative.) The RSX-S weighs 150 pounds more than the ITR, has only 5 more hp, and comes with crappy tires, too.

The RSX-S is a nice car, no doubt - and it's way better than the GS-R it replaces. But it's not a purpose-built track car like the Type R. And (just like a new Type R) you can't get one for $20K, either - which was the original question.

Whoa. Sorry about that. I did only read one article with a comparison and it wasn't that comprehensive. I was really sort of going off specs and hoping more than anything.

I trust you. I saw you have a Type-R as well as an NSX. You bastard!!! At least its nice to see we all think alike in terms of the cars we like to drive. I'd have a Type-R too if I didn't buy my '94 GSR new.

Anyway, I think we can agree that the Integra is a fantastic car, especially as a daily driver, not that the NSX isn't a good daily driver as well but just not as practical. Too me the Integra or the RSX for that matter are perfect stepping stones to an NSX. If I wasn't already in financial jeopardy with the NSX, I'd plunk down for an RSX.

Anyone seen the specs on the RSX Type-R in Japan that is coming out? Now that's cool. I can't remember where I saw it, but I wanted it.

Alan

------------------
Alan Peltier
Operations Manager
HRE Performance Wheels
[email protected]

'94 black/black
No mods yet. HID on order. Needs wheels!
Performance upgrades coming as soon as I can scrape up the cash! Donations much appreciated!!

Check out our website at http://www.hrewheels.com

Im telling you,nothing ,and I mean nothing can outperform a Supra TT for 20k or less.Nothing stops faster,handles better,or accelerates faster.Maybe an Rx7 but make sure its got a new motor and dont blow it on the dyno.

Joe

------------------
97 NSX-T
93 Supra TT
92 Talon AWD ( For Sale )

If I could find a Supra TT in good shape for under $20K, I'd seriously consider getting one. What are the prospects? What kind of mileage would I expect for a Supra TT at that price?

------------------
1995 NSX-T
1999 3.2TL
2001 Odyssey
1992 SC400

I'd get a 3rd. gen RX-7, and it has to be 5spd!

Before I bought my NSX, I test drove a mint '93 (20k miles, auto, never abused, etc.), I have to say that was one of the slowest/heaviest cars I've driven. If you get a supra, get a 6spd!

------------------
Richard
NSXTASY

Part of the problem with the Integra Type R as well as the Supra TT is that so many of the used ones have been modded and abused - no doubt in part due to their affordability and the demographics of their owners. These are cars where you need to exercise EXTREME caution when buying a used one. Abuse is not as widespread for the Integra GS-R or the NA Supra.

I agree that the Integra and now the RSX are fine cars. They do many, many things well - commuter car, highway cruiser, mountain twisty roadhugger, occasional track car, baggage hauler, etc. I can fit 14 full-size wheels and tires inside my Integra!

Many corvette owners are enthusiast nuts like us and take very good care of them.
A low mileage, well maintained 96 vette will last you a very long time. And no, a stock SupraTT will not accelerate, break, or handle better than a 96 LT4 vette (which is in essence a Grand Sport without the paintjob and price tag). stock vs. stock, 60 in 4.7 is tough to beat for 20K. That and corvette brakes feel like anchors. I had a hard time getting used to the braking in the NSX after my C5.

No offense, I like Supras. Good looking cars and reliable too if not battered. I guess I still have a soft spot for some of that ol american iron.
smile.gif

I bought a 99 WS6 a couple months ago for $22k. I raced an M5, and was basically even with that up to 75. Beat my friend's 97 automatic TT Supra with an air intake and 3.74" exhaust and I was bone stock down to the Fram filter. It is the fastest car in it's price range, handling is very crisp for stock, and it comes with many comforts like standard leather, t-tops, lumbar seats, 500 watt 10 speaker system. You can call the interior cheap, but I think that's not true and have seen too many imports and other domestics with very similar plastic stuff. The LS1 motor is VERY reliable, handles power boosters very well, all aluminum block and heads, hypereutectic pistons. It is just a very well engineered car. The WS6 package can be put on the Formula OR the Trans Am, but I chose the TA b/c it has factory front brake coolers. And the WS6 package adds the ram-air hood, freer exhaust, stiffer springs, shocks, sway bars, and 17" rims. Not to mention I get 30 mpg on the highway and 21 around town!!

Again, just my opinion. I think I've driven every other car that was mentioned previously--TT Supra's, Type R's, 92-96 LT1/LT4 vettes. The only car as fast as the LS1 WS6/SS would be the LT4. The LT1 vette, TT, and Type R aren't as fast. And you'd be hard pressed to find a quality LT4 for $20k--definitely not a collector's edition or GS.

It all depends on what you want I guess.

------------------
99 Trans Am WS.6
89 Camaro RS
76 Corvette
66 Chevelle Malibu

A 99 WS6 TA will brake better and be faster than a MKIV TT. Handling is arguable. Strictly by the #'s, the Supra has an advantage. And good luck finding a TT for under $20. My roommate searched for one for quite a while and ended up paying $27k for a non-whored out one. They are remarkable cars in every aspect, don't get me wrong. They are just more expensive and have a little older technology than the LS1's.

Originally posted by nsxbadboy:
Im telling you,nothing ,and I mean nothing can outperform a Supra TT for 20k or less.Nothing stops faster,handles better,or accelerates faster.Maybe an Rx7 but make sure its got a new motor and dont blow it on the dyno.

Joe

------------------
99 Trans Am WS.6
89 Camaro RS
76 Corvette
66 Chevelle Malibu

Id say get a 97-99 3000 GT SL or VR4..

For 20 grand you may be able to pick one up as I did. Although my next car in a couple years will be an NSX

Cheers!

A WS6 is not faster than a stock MKIV let alone one with intake and exhaust.Your friend either doesnt know how to drive or something is wrong with his car.I have a downpipe and K/N drop in filter and went 8.32@90mph in the eighth last week.An LS1 is a great car but by comparison I ran one with all the bolt-ons,level 10 trans with stall,and Nittos and he ran [email protected].

Joe

I assume you have the fuel cut defencer and a boost controller to run that fast in the 1/8th. I'm only running 82 in the 1/8 stock, so I know my friend is no where near 90. A 90 mph 1/8 is low 12's/high 11's in the 1/4--you have a fast car. My dad's car runs 7.2 @ 98 and low 11's @ 119-121 for comparison.

------------------
99 Trans Am WS.6
89 Camaro RS
76 Corvette
66 Chevelle Malibu

Your friend should check his car for boost leaks.When I bought my car,it didnt feel faster than my 97 NSX-T.I fixed a few hoses and it ran much better.I ran these times with 97k on the odometer.My BCC was 250.00,my downpipe was 300.00,my K/N was 50.00,and pulled hoses are free.Not many cars can beat this for under 20k.

Joe

Back