• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

best clutch for turbo car

I have a 91 NSX that has a turbo on it and it produces 600 whp and 450 ft lbs of torque. I primarily drag race it and have blown the clutch.I am posting this thread hoping someone has some input as to which clutch I should run .I also drive the car approx. 300-400 miles per week so this must be considered also.I was using a RPS twin disc that was rated to 500 hp. It lasted 12000 miles with lots of abuse but had very high pedal pressure(I dont mind the pedal pressure just making a statement).If anyone has input it would be appreciated.The clutch blew at the shift from 3-4 at 120 mph. This is the highest load on the clutch as I shift with the accelerater pedal on the floor,the car is on full boost and cannot break traction, so the next weakest link breaks(the clutch).Perhaps I should put my two step on a clutch switch to save the clutch?:confused:

Im with brandonsan. Im having the RPS Twin Carbon installed as we speak. Ill let you know how I like it!

I've had the RPS single disc clutch with high pedal pressure and recently changed to the RPS twin carbon disc clutch. It has very light pressure.
Did you have a different RPS clutch that had two discs AND high pedal pressure?

I think the original poster might have had the single disc RPS clutch. The dual disc clutch they make is pretty soft I think. Heavy pedal pressure and that clutch are rarely used in the same sentence.

I think the original poster might have had the single disc RPS clutch. The dual disc clutch they make is pretty soft I think. Heavy pedal pressure and that clutch are rarely used in the same sentence.

Yeah this guy is right. I had both RPS clutches. The RPS single disc clutch had a very heavy clutch pressure and wore out at 500+ whp. The RPS dual disc clutch I have now has a near stock like pedal pressure is holding up to 600 whp just fine.

Actually, the car I drove with that RPS clutch is VegasNSX's car so I know for sure that is a twin disc. I would recommend that one as well.

I now have the clutch out and it is a single disc clutch.Soooooooo back to the question. Thanks for the input I am looking at the carbonetics triple disc,maybe overkill,but dont want to do this again for a while.

I just installed the SOS RPS twin disc Clutch it feels real nice but mine makes a lot of noise when the pedal is pressed in. It sounds like the bearings are bad but I hope it passes I only have about 30 miles on it. Ken

In my research on multi disc clutches the only ones that are quiet are the factory ones. All of the others have noise when the clutch is pressed(just different noises) the noise should minimize in about 300 miles.i would appreciate an update if it does get quieter.how much power do you have? Does the clutch hold the power with the light pedal pressure?

I just installed the SOS RPS twin disc Clutch it feels real nice but mine makes a lot of noise when the pedal is pressed in. It sounds like the bearings are bad but I hope it passes I only have about 30 miles on it. Ken

They all make noise when the clutch is in. Mine does too.

Does the clutch hold the power with the light pedal pressure?

As I mentioned before, I'm pushing roughly 600 whp and 570 lbs of torque. The clutch holds up fine. Do you plan on having more power than that? If so, you've got bigger issues than your clutch, namely your transmission and axel.

It will continue to make noise. Just how these dual discs are usually designed, regardless of who makes it.

Yours happens to be one of the quietest ones on the market

Right now I have 604 whp but only 450 ft lbs of torque.I think the big torque is the one that does the damage.You have a lot of torque at 570.I have put about 12000 miles on the car so far with the only damage being the clutch.Once I fix that I am sure it will be something else will break. What trans and what axles upgrade would you recommend

Back