• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Best cold-air intake for the dollar?

I'm really interested in getting an intake system which uses the cold air option, but I've read in several different places that some are better than others...

Which cold air intake system gives you the best bang for your buck? I'm looking only to spend at the most a couple of hundered dollars.. no where near the $700+ for the carbon fiber comptech intake...

Thanks, -Electro

I have my intake like this. The filter is inside the tube.

__hr_intake+close+up+2.jpg

__hr_intake+inlet+2.jpg

Oya, it is not a DSR system. I just put the sticker cause it look too plain without them.

Andrie

[This message has been edited by Andrie Hartanto (edited 29 May 2001).]

Whenever I post something, I'm looking for more of what's just in the FAQ... The FAQ is great and all, but its somewhat limited in product descriptions and real world experiences.

Believe me, i've read thru the FAQ countless times and can only find limited info on what i'm looking for...hence one of the reasons i post on the board.

I'm looking for numbers more than anything... price vs. performance & ease of maintenance. I'm not about to pay $700+ for an intake that I could get simliar results from a less expensive alternitive... furthermore, i dont want it to be a pain in the ass to have to maintain all the time...

By all means, the FAQ will NEVER be complete. There are questions that aren't answered there, and there may be additional opinions worth posting here (to be incorporated by Mr. Lud) - which may or may not agree with what is already written. The FAQ is simply the place to start looking for information.

(Betcha didn't think I was going to say THAT, huh?
biggrin.gif
)

Andrie, I can see your pictures now. I don't know what my problem was before.

Duely noted... altho as you can see in my previous post(s) that i am a regular here and spend many hours here soaking up all the info i can about the beloved car we all know and love as the Acura NSX.

Believe me FAQ NAZI -i'm well aware of your presence and promptness in pointing out how useful the FAQ is... but (BUT!) I only ask because i want MORRRE!
smile.gif

While we are on the intake subject, what do you guys think about a thread in the faq about cone type filter possibly causing more ring wear? Myth or truth?

I presume your query is directed to oil-impregnated systems versus finer paper systems (as opposed to conical vs. some-other-geometry). The remarks ascribed to K&N itself are quite revealing. 97% filtration vs. 98% (K&N former, paper latter). So you can view this as a trivial deviation in filtration or a 50% increase in the penetration of particulate contaminants for the K&N solution. It's up to you to decide if you care about the difference.

Personally, I stick with paper and change it regularly...

--twc

While we are on the intake subject, what do you guys think about a thread in the faq about cone type filter possibly causing more ring wear? Myth or truth?

That advice comes from our "inside source" at Acura HQ, who does the analysis on all NSX problems and advises the dealer service departments on their toughest repairs.

Given the source, I then switched from my cone type filter back to OEM.

I saw on Dali's web site that the Stock paper filter and airbox flows more air than both the K&N FIPK and the RM CAI.

I dont know how this data was taken, but based on the lack of power gain from either system I don't doubt that the Oil Bath filters do nothing for performance.

I just can't let that SOUND go away though...

My whole thing is that I dont want to have to oil the air filter all the time... and I dont want to have to worry about if my throttle body is getting dirty or dirtier than it is already...

Cost effectiveness and ease of maintenance is a big plus in my world!

Back