• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Best First Suspension Mods

Being a relatively new NSX owner and looking to track the car occasionally, I am looking for opinions concerning suspension modifications. It seems there are a number of options available, such as Comptech springs and sway bars, Type-R suspension bits, Dali sway bars and bits, Tein, etc. I would like the ride quality to remain streetable, but not have to fuss too much with adjustable spring heights and such. Thanks in advance.
PS: I have previous experience at track events in other vehicles (including rear-engine) and raced shifter karts for a year or two, so I should be OK with the added ability of a modified vs a stock suspension.

you should use the search...

synopsis

good:
Comptech Pro, adjustable anti-sway bars, Type-R chassis bars, non-compliance bushings & toe-links

decent:
HR + Koni Yellow, adjustable anti-sway bars, Type-R chassis bars

+ wider tires

Best 1st susp mod I have done any car has been Koni shocks.
Followed by sway bars and Eibach springs..............
But thats just my opinion....... :smile:

sway bar + nsx-r bars.

Should be all you need for a long while. went a year like that and did really well.

x

You can go far with sway bars and better brake pads on an otherwise stock car,From my past I started that way then went to HR springs/koni yellow then settled on zanardi springs and koni yellow,now I'm on the na2 type r susp.R compound tires snuck in there after two seasons,as did the noncompliance rear beem,toelinks,and front pivot clamps,lastly a more agressive alignment,and voila! Have fun :smile:

Any brand of sway bars better or more effective than the other?

Just different thicknesses. Thicker = stiffer. That's the benefit. You lose out on street comfort.

Pick your poison.

x

Just choose a vendor you are comfortable with,most only offer 1 or 2 different bars for front and rear.

It all depends on what you want to change from the stock suspension. You can spend from few hundred dollars to few thousand dollars. It all depends on what you are looking for.

Honestly, you should try the stock suspension out at the track first. That way, you'll know what you want to change and how far you want to take it. I have H&R/koni with dali sways because it's relatively cheap, shock/sways are adjustable and the look of H&R lowered NSX is sweet.

ak said:
It all depends on what you want to change from the stock suspension. You can spend from few hundred dollars to few thousand dollars. It all depends on what you are looking for.

Honestly, you should try the stock suspension out at the track first. That way, you'll know what you want to change and how far you want to take it. I have H&R/koni with dali sways because it's relatively cheap, shock/sways are adjustable and the look of H&R lowered NSX is sweet.

I just changed back to HR+Koni from TEIN RA, does the front end of the car appear raked upwards? I don't recall HR spring have 1" wheel gap... but maybe thats just the way they are. I had the TEIN RAs set very low...

kenjiMR said:
I just changed back to HR+Koni from TEIN RA, does the front end of the car appear raked upwards? I don't recall HR spring have 1" wheel gap... but maybe thats just the way they are. I had the TEIN RAs set very low...

The wheel gap *appears* to be larger for the front than the rear. Not sure why.

JIC coilovers flt02's, type r-braces for the front, and sos rear strut.......thats all you need. ;)

I honestly think that if you were one on one with most of the people who have responded, they would suggest that you not make any suspension changes until you have 6 to 8 Driver's Ed events under your belt. You should be very impressed with how well the NSX handles stock and get used to driving it stock before you start making changes. There are many posts to that effect on NSXPrime.

But do:

1) make certain that all maintainance has been performed: T-belt, H2O pump, filters, hoses, etc.
2) have the alignment checked even if it was done recently
(my 94 NSX was badly aligned when I bought it even though it was only 18 months after it's most recent Acura alignment) Consider using the 1991 alignment specs if you can handle the shortened tire wear.
3) make certain to flush the brake, ABS and clutch fluid and use a high temp brake fluid like Motul 600 Racing
4) check the brake pads and possibly upgrade to Carbotech Panther Plus or similar. The brakes are the weak link on the NSX.
5) use the stock Yokohama, or Bridgestone SO3 tires, if needed. The stock Bridgestones RE 010s overheat on the track and get slippery.

Take your time with suspension modifications; there are many possibilities. Spend a lot of time on Search to understand the pros and cons for each suspension before you commit. It's very important to maintain the balance of this mid-engine car. For example, you will learn that the NSX type S and R use stiffer springs in the front compared to the rear. Also the 2002 NSX-R uses a stiffer front anti-sway bar; the rear bar remains stock. Many aftermarket products use stiffer springs in the rear and stiffen both the front and rear anti-sway bars. Be careful!

Last edited:
Yep - the best thing you can do is driver's schools. More useful than any hard part. After that, I'd say good shocks. They aren't blingy, but good shocks will help an otherwise stock suspension, but bolting bling parts onto worn out shocks will make the handling a nightmare. I personally love Koni's. Again - they are not bling, but they are a high quality shock with a useful range, and they can be rebuilt and revalved in the US. The bling shocks generally can't. If not the Koni's, I'd say the Bilsteins are a good choice. No adjustment, but it's still a high quality shock with more aggressive valving than OE. Plus - the Bilsteins allow a lower spring perch mounting, so you can drop the car a bit with the stock springs.

For a street car, after shocks are in order I'd start playing with swaybars. In a racecar I like to tune with spring, but in a street car I prefer bars. They are not as flexible as springs, but they make for a much more liveable steet ride.

OLDE GUY said:
For example, you will learn that the NSX type S and R always use stiffer springs in the front and only stiffen the front anti-sway bar. Many aftermarket products use stiffer springs in the rear and stiffen both front and rear anti-sway bars. Be careful!

I have noticed that as well. So, are you saying that those NSX's with both stiffer front and rear springs and stiffer front and rear sway bars are at a real disadvantage to those cars without?

OLDE GUY said:
...you have 6 to 8 Driver's Ed events under your belt. You should be very impressed with how well the NSX handles stock and get used to driving it stock before you start making changes...

Good point... I instructed a student who was proficient being on the track but was just used to a different car(s). We went out and the car was just 'different' from what he had been used to. He did really well after a few sessions but overall.. the handling characteristics of the nsx is just a tad different from other cars.

Learn the base then work up. (just my.02)

x

ericwgnsx said:
I have noticed that as well. So, are you saying that those NSX's with both stiffer front and rear springs and stiffer front and rear sway bars are at a real disadvantage to those cars without?

Take a look at this Spring Rate Table and note the more performance oriented ones designed by Honda (bold print) . The front springs are always stiffer than the rear. The Honda engineers know the car best and have supported the NSX in various race series. They have a lot of experience with the NSX unlike several of the manufactures of aftermarket springs who supply springs for a wide variety of cars. Comptech also works closely with Honda and Comptech Pro springs have much stiffer front springs than rear.

With regard to ASB, on the 2002 NSX-type R suspension, the front anti-sway bar was increased in thickness (stiffness) but the rear bar remained stock. I don't have the details for ASB on the type Ss and earlier type Rs.

How Do The Various Spring Packages Compare?

.......................................Front............Rear..........Front/Rear
........................................#/in.............#/in..............%

Stock '91 NSX....................170..............220..............77%

Stock '96 NSX....................179..............212..............84%

Stock '97 NSX....................196..............224..............88%

Stock '93 NSX-R................447..............336.............133%

Stock '95 NSX-R................447..............319.............140%

Stock '97 NSX S / Zanardi...363..............279..............130%
1/2 " lowering

Stock '97 NSX S Zero..........448..............336..............133%

Stock '02 NSX Type-R.........582..............465..............125%
1/2 " lowering

Ground (Race)....................601..............501..............120%

Ground (Street)..................375..............501................75%

Comptech Pro.................1002..............601.............167%

Eibach Pro .....................154-228.........137-280...........~81%
progressive springs with 1" lowering

H&R.................................260...............275...............94%
1.5" lowering

Last edited:
I think to start, I'll try the Type-R front sway bar and do some mild brake improvements like better fluid, remove dust shields, and adding air deflectors, then see how it goes. I also have a good idea of where I'd like to go from there, so a sincere thanks to everyone who posted their input and experience.
PS: Does anyone know for certain that the 2005 Type-R sway bar that Dali advertises will fit the '91 model also?

ericwgnsx said:
PS: Does anyone know for certain that the 2005 Type-R sway bar that Dali advertises will fit the '91 model also?

Fits my '94 just fine. Check with Chris at Science of Speed when you order. And yes, you do want to order from SOS. Since you are new, I guess you haven't read the posts about a few people having real problems with not receiving either their order or their money back from Dali. IMO, it is not worth taking the risk in ordering from Dali. Everyone praises SOS - you won't go wrong with Chris.

Here you go: Type R Anti-sway Bar This webpage indicates the '02+ type R bar fits all years.

Phone: 877 863-4520 Ask for Chris.

Have fun, Eric, and let us know how it goes. Bill

Last edited:
OLDE GUY said:
For example, you will learn that the NSX type S and R use stiffer springs in the front compared to the rear.

TODA coilovers also have stiffer springs in the front vs the rear. I think that this is very important to pay attention to.

just wondering if anyone out there has experience comparing Type-S, Type-R, and zanardi suspensions for ride quality and track ability?

ericwgnsx said:
just wondering if anyone out there has experience comparing Type-S, Type-R, and zanardi suspensions for ride quality and track ability?
Try e-mailing docjohn (see post #5 above) since he had the Zanardi springs then later the type-R suspension.

Since I have the type-R also, I am pretty sure that he will say that the type-R is best on the track but worst for driveability. Ride quality versus track ability are inversely related - a trade-off. Obviously, the stiffer the springs, etc. the less compliant (soft) the ride. I think that the Zanardi would be a great suspension for the occasional tracker i.e. 4 to 6 times per year.

Last edited:
Driveability is very personal,so we have a tough time saying how you would like such and such on the street.On track no question the R is a whole order above the zanardi or S.Honestly the zanardi/koni combo might be worth trying (not too much$) unless you are at a high level of track skill/experience already ,then just get the R.

Back