• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Best Motoring International FUJIFAST Comments - Spoiler Warning*

Just watched a bit of this very well produced DVD (visuals are stunning, these BMI editions get better and better with each new release) and I thought I'd offer a few quick things that I noticed:

1. Fuji track goes bye bye

-Nice memorial and history lesson on the Fuji cicuit closing for two years due to a planned renovation. I first saw Fuji in the original Atari Pole Posistion game, and it's remained a sentimental favorite since. Great track for showcasing the technical prowess of the cars themselves, while say Suzuka has always been a showcase for the driver's skill level more than HP.

2. Fuji Battle

- Nice to see the cars stretching their legs on this 4.4km track, as oppossed to the rediculously short tsukuba track BMI uses that I've always hated for judging cars. Conditions on test day were brutal, nearly 100 degrees F, so tires gave out very early, and overheating was an issue.

Cars entered were the Porsche 911 GT3, Ferrari 360, Ferrari 355, Honda NSX Type-R, Nissan Skyline GT-R Nur, Mitsu Evo VIII, Subie Impreza STi.

Here's the finishing order at the end of 4 laps:

1. 911GT3
2. Ferrari 360 Modena
3. NSX Type-R
4. STi
5. Evo VIII
6. Ferrari 355 (DNF)
7. Skyline GTR-Nur (DNF)

Comments:

911GT3: HP and grip rule, and the 911GT3 so easily destroyed this field at Fuji that it was a joke. Gan drove it and appeared to be sleeping the whole way due to a lack of competition. This car was in another stratosphere compared to any other in the field.

360 and 355: Both had aftermarket exhausts, in Japan that usually means no cats either, so they were running a bit hotter than stock. And they were both F1 tranny models. The 360 was difficult to control, driver called it "scary but fast". It passed the NSX easily on the last lap for second place, and also had the second fastest lap of the day.

NSX Type-R: Had astounding brakes, easily equal to or better than the GT3's, they're the only reason the car was competitive on such a power intensive track. Easy as pie to control, until the tires went out due to heat. It also overheated badly by the end of the race on the final straight which is surprising, it would have been a DNF if the race were scheduled for even just one more lap. Don't think that's ever happened to an NSX before on BM. Both of the Ferraris had no problem with the heat. The NSX's stock bridgestone tires gave way in the heat (the rears) so by the last lap with the engine overheating and the rear tires out of their competitive temp zone, that car was a total mess. Funny to see the Type-R go from the great all-around car we know it to be on lap 1, to being what we usually expect a Ferrari to be by lap 4, which is difficult to control, on the verge of collapse, and one second from a major mechanical failure.

F355: had worked its way up to fourth or so, and then had to retire on lap 3 from horrible brake fade. BM driver went off the course at the end of the straight in it and was like "Where are my brakes??" Seemed to like the drive until that point however. The 355 was competitive with the Subie and Evo, but not a match for the top 3 cars. It would have finished fourth in an extended race, IF its brakes had held up.

Skyline: The Skyline was broken from the start, some kind of boost problem. Retired very early, and wasn't competitive anyway. Too much heat, too much weight, too much period.

Evo/STi: They fought each other nose to tail the whole way, yes these are great cars but they bore me. I focused on the coupes, but I remember the driver loved the STi, fawned all over its engine and dampers.

Bottom Line:

As usual, the post-race comments were filled with bitching by the drivers about the regulations that JDM companies put on their engines in terms of HP. However this is the first time I've heard them all agree that Japan is no longer competitive with Europe, and that drastic steps would need to be taken in order to even stay equal to the Euros in the future, otherwise Japan will fall far behind the rest of the world in terms of sports car performance.

For me it's like, ok WE bitch about the Japanese regulations, and now the Japanese THEMSELVES are bitching about their own regulations, so who the @#$! is running these JDM car companies? Lose the restrictions or get a$$-owned by not only the Euros, but the Americans too, whose C6 Vette and Viper will tap the Type-R's a$$ all over the place.

Funny to think that the all-conquering GT3 (which started in EIGHTH PLACE on the grid and was in FIRST PLACE by the half way point of the first lap) is actually cheaper than the NSX-R in Japan, lol!!!

Anyway that's all I've seen, I scanned the rediculously lame "Togue challenge" part of the disc, which is BM trying to look hip and young to their domestic viewers by featuring the asinine sport of drifting, setup as a strange nose to tail race. Skip. There's also a nice recap of the Tokyo Auto Show, which does feauture the HSC for those interested. Good shots of its interior, and the obligatory "oh but don't worry, I'm sure Honda will have much more power than 300HP if it goes into production!" comments from Nakaya. LOL, got to love a Motoring editor being all defensive already, and sounding just like NSXPrime posters praying that Honda isn't stupid enough to have anything less than 350HP in this car IF it ever goes into production.

Overall I liked the disc, the Fuji portions are fascinating, and for $20 I'd buy it again.

MAKO said:
And that matters because?

My review has more detail.

Relax on the forum policing, leave that to the hard core nerds, kthx. :)

I was thinking that you could have responded, and not create a new thread. We have too many threads with the same topic circling around as we speak.

Spinner said:
Where can I purchase these BMI dvds? BTW, thanks for the review...thats why I want one know;)

You can buy them at Best Buy too.

Amazon.com has it for sale as well.

Here is the main site that also lists some vendors:

http://www.bestmotoringvideo.com/

RyRy210 said:
I was thinking that you could have responded, and not create a new thread. We have too many threads with the same topic circling around as we speak.
http://www.bestmotoringvideo.com/

LOL, yeah this place is PACKED! Soooo many threads to wade through each day!

Try coming over to the Ferrari or P-car board where they have about 10x the daily traffic and threads that NSXPrime does. Then your policing skills can come in handy. :)

Ferrarichat does not have 10x the traffic of this place. I think we have more members..

MAKO said:
LOL, yeah this place is PACKED! Soooo many threads to wade through each day!

Try coming over to the Ferrari or P-car board where they have about 10x the daily traffic and threads that NSXPrime does. Then your policing skills can come in handy. :)

Just because you got called with your cards on the table does not mean you have to denigrate the forum in addition to a member. There is a reason we are not Ferrarichat.com or any of the P boards.

ncdogdoc said:
Just because you got called with your cards on the table does not mean you have to denigrate the forum in addition to a member. There is a reason we are not Ferrarichat.com or any of the P boards.

Oh but I used the smiley face! :) :) :) :)

Awww I've gone and made you mad, I'm very worried about that. Shoot. Sad face! :( :( :(

How about a suggestion?

Instead of overzealous board police nerds, and the politically correct denizens that monitor every smart comment made as if it should place the poster in jail, let's talk about the cars in question?

What a great suggestion! Happy face! :)

I've already done my part with the initial post. Now you do yours. I'll be responding to nothing but car-related posts from here on out, no time for nonsense.

MAKO, don't know why all the name calling. What I did is pretty common in this forum.

Looks like you haven't been on the board long enough to suffer the wrath of the forum nazi.

Best motoring is more of a cool video capture than a real refrenace point

Gan san will drive the car he as way beond its limit, so any car he drives will be alot faster then it really is, his is the case with the GT3, its no surprise he had no compatition.

I remember seing a video with him driving the NSX-R and chasing that new Lambugini V12 all over the track and really hammering him on.

So, nothing can really be drawn out of a Best Motoring video. It just one hell of a fun video serius to watch

Sorry about the pelling, it changes with my mode and im not in a good one

Haven't had the pleasure of watching one of BM's videos in English, but is "Gan san" the old, short gentleman better known as Motoharu Kurosawa? If you watch BM videos with regularity, you'll find that in most cases, all the other reviewers (drivers) make way for him, often nullifying the objectivity and impartiality of the results.

Still, a lot of fun for car enthusiasts.

My two cents.

cmhs75 said:
Best motoring is more of a cool video capture than a real refrenace point

Gan san will drive the car he as way beond its limit, so any car he drives will be alot faster then it really is, his is the case with the GT3, its no surprise he had no compatition.

I remember seing a video with him driving the NSX-R and chasing that new Lambugini V12 all over the track and really hammering him on.

So, nothing can really be drawn out of a Best Motoring video. It just one hell of a fun video serius to watch

Sorry about the pelling, it changes with my mode and im not in a good one

1. "Gan-san" is not the best MotoRing driver, not even in the top three.

2. The espisode you mention with the Lambo (Murcielago by the way) is misleading because when you hear the translation the BM editors say that the owners of the Murci insisted that they not drive the car hard, meaning no berm hitting, no abuse, no redlining, no nothing. The Murci was handicapped so to speak.

3. They are very fun to watch.

MAKO said:
1. "Gan-san" is not the best MotoRing driver, not even in the top three.

2. The espisode you mention with the Lambo (Murcielago by the way) is misleading because when you hear the translation the BM editors say that the owners of the Murci insisted that they not drive the car hard, meaning no berm hitting, no abuse, no redlining, no nothing. The Murci was handicapped so to speak.

3. They are very fun to watch.

thanks for clearing up the picture about the Murcielago.The movie I saw was not transulated.

but till, come on Gan-san has got to be the best driver there, just look at how far he can push a car. I remember seing one video were the Ferrari 360 was near last position with a 911 Turbo leading the way. And in another race on the same day with the same cars and tyres, Gan_san got hold of the same Ferrari and he was able to take first plase and hold on to it for a respectable distance before losing to the 911 Turbo and even after the 911 turbo past he was still appling pressure.

Does anyone else have an opinion on this ?

BMI NSX-R vs. Murcielago

MAKO said:

In the episode with the NSX-R and the Murci, the Murci would loose ground in the turns and make it up on the straightaway. And it's not fair to say that the NSX-R was driven hard but the Murci was not. Both were driven hard, and the Murci was very unstable. After the Murci passed the NSX-R the first time, the driver lost control of the Murci and nearly spun out, allowing the NSX-R to easily pass.

Many thanks for posting your review, Mako.

Personally I like the "Togue challenge", which is a legitimate wheel-to-wheel race that has nothing to do with drifting. Two cars race on a narrow unmaintained road with no passing allowed (or even possible). If the two cars are farther apart at end than at the start, the front car wins. If the two cars are close together at the end, the rear car wins. Otherwise its a draw. Then they switch order and run again, usually on a different part of the course. It's like a tarmac rally race for enthusiasts. From what I can make out, the perennial champion is a highly tuned AE86 RWD Corolla driven by "The Drift King", which is where you may get the false impression that Togue is about drifting.

The Togue was cool.

I thought it was interesting that the ESPRIT NSX used a 3.0 engine from an automatic to build on to get more low end TQ. Then put in the 5 speed (or 6.. cant tell).

I have not seen anything like that before.

To say Gan San is still the best driver in Best Motoring will probably be a strech... but if just judging by lap times and aggressiveness he is over the top in Best Motoring series...

He's the Champion of Japanese Racing in the 60's/(70's??). I believed everyone in the industry paid their respect to him, and thus he can drive as aggressive as he wanted any day on any car. I remembered there were couple bad accident which can be totally avoided if Gan San wasn't trying to push everyone else outside the track... LOL. Instead of showing apologies (like other BM drivers who made mistake), there's only a little hint of embarrasment on his face... Bottom Line is if Gan San enter to any real racing series, he won't have the edge over other drivers...

Anyway that's all I've seen, I scanned the rediculously lame "Togue challenge" part of the disc, which is BM trying to look hip and young to their domestic viewers by featuring the asinine sport of drifting, setup as a strange nose to tail race. Skip.
I have to disagree on this, because if you pay attention, this is not the Best Motoring production... The Best Motoring Int'l put this part from the Hot Version (which is basically for younger, tuner, Tsuchiya fans video) for us as bonus...
Besides your comment of they being hip... I like the hot Japanese models:D

To be fair, I don't know how much Street racing and track driving experiences do you have, but the Togue racing does have its place on enthusiasts. They require much bigger balls than most other types of racing, and they have their own theories! If you live in Iowa or Montana which you normally don't even see twisty mountain roads, I can see why you don't understand that. I beleived some Tarmac sessions in WRC is as close as it gets to Togue Racing...

Re: BMI NSX-R vs. Murcielago

hatchback said:
In the episode with the NSX-R and the Murci, the Murci would loose ground in the turns and make it up on the straightaway. And it's not fair to say that the NSX-R was driven hard but the Murci was not. Both were driven hard, and the Murci was very unstable. After the Murci passed the NSX-R the first time, the driver lost control of the Murci and nearly spun out, allowing the NSX-R to easily pass.

Did you miss the part where I clearly talked about the translation?

Read my post again, this time take off your rose colored NSX glasses. The translation came from a buddy of mine who SPEAKS JAPANESE, so I'm not sure what universe you're living in to debate it in such a rediculous way.

NetViper said:
The Togue was cool.

I thought it was interesting that the ESPRIT NSX used a 3.0 engine from an automatic to build on to get more low end TQ. Then put in the 5 speed (or 6.. cant tell).

I have not seen anything like that before.

That was interesting about the auto-to-manual conversion in the Esprit, I agree.

What was more interesting was how easily the turbo Silvia could be made to go from equal in terms of straightline speed in the first run to the NSX, to blowing it away easily in the second run: A twist of the old boost knob.

Damn I wish they had gone that route with the NSX instead of VTEC. :(

NSXDreamer2 said:
To say Gan San is still the best driver in Best Motoring will probably be a strech... but if just judging by lap times and aggressiveness he is over the top in Best Motoring series...

To be fair, I don't know how much Street racing and track driving experiences do you have, but the Togue racing does have its place on enthusiasts. They require much bigger balls than most other types of racing, and they have their own theories! If you live in Iowa or Montana which you normally don't even see twisty mountain roads, I can see why you don't understand that. I beleived some Tarmac sessions in WRC is as close as it gets to Togue Racing...

Gan isn't in the top three. You're saying he's better than a much younger JGTC GT300 driver and a Formula 3000 driver? That's surprising to me, but whatever.

You're right about the Touge portion, it wasn't BM that produced it.

And it may be entertataing, but no useful information is gleaned from it. I'd prefer more testing instead. More 0-1000m runs, more 1/4 mile jaunts, more wet slalom gymkhana work. Save the silly runs on a mountainside that "require much bigger balls" for the teenagers that are fans of such material. If I want thrills like that, I'll turn on WRC.

Mako, read my post again!!! :mad: J/k.

What I refer Gan San's Driving ability is not just the ability of controling a car; it's how 'dare' he put the cars in test in danger... Because of the Japanese's Respect of the elders/veterans. He can basically drive any car straight to the wall and get away from it.l That little margin means a lot in a race.

1 thing I don't understand is that everyone else were just testing out the car, but Gan San always want to win no matter what he drives (Back in the days nsx still the highest performance car, he always driving the nsx...), he always have to urge to finish first. Seems like he just want to prove, or maybe he just enjoying the thrill.

a much younger JGTC GT300 driver and a Formula 3000 driver
I don't know how competitive GanSan can be in a real race due to physical condition (a 60+ yrs old vs 20some young gun in a 3 hrs endurance race would not be pretty) But as a side note, his 2 kids race professionally, the Drifting kid and GT300 Champ of last year were all GanSan's students... Who's better driver?? Need I say more?

NSXDreamer2 said:

He's the Champion of Japanese Racing in the 60's/(70's??). I believed everyone in the industry paid their respect to him, and thus he can drive as aggressive as he wanted any day on any car. I remembered there were couple bad accident which can be totally avoided if Gan San wasn't trying to push everyone else outside the track... LOL. Instead of showing apologies (like other BM drivers who made mistake), there's only a little hint of embarrasment on his face... Bottom Line is if Gan San enter to any real racing series, he won't have the edge over other drivers...

or maibe its just his age thats makeing him drive like a lony, He has less fell of the danger of death since he is so close to it anyway:D

was that too cruel ;)

Back