• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Best prices on synthetic oil? (Preferably Mobil 1)

Ken is correct,

The manual states 5.3, in practical experience I have put in up to 5.7 to get to the top mark. But for sure 5 is not enough to get to the top mark, unless maybe you did not change the filter, OR you checked it before you started the car and curculated the new oil.

BTW: 5 Qt jug 10w30 Mobil1 $18.88: WalMart NYState on 6/22/03

HTH,
LarryB

Zipy said:
I use mobile 1, but I don't put 3500 miles on in a year. Is it really necessary to change the oil every 6 months with normal driving,(NO TRACK), when using mobile 1? With my limited driving wouldn't one year be acceptable? :confused:
For owners in colder climes that garage their NSXs 4+ months of the year, how does the "6 month" interval apply during the off-season?

nsx1164 said:
For owners in colder climes that garage their NSXs 4+ months of the year, how does the "6 month" interval apply during the off-season?
It depends on whom you're asking.

My personal rule of thumb is that I make sure it's been changed within the past six months for any time I'm driving it. If it was changed, say, four months before I put it away for the winter, I just put it away for the 4-6 months, then change it when I bring it out in spring. Sure, it exceeds the six month interval that way, but only while it's sitting idle.

However, I've heard of some folks that change their oil before the car goes into storage, and change it again when it comes out. That's too much for me, but do what you think is best.

nsxtasy said:
However, I've heard of some folks that change their oil before the car goes into storage, and change it again when it comes out. That's too much for me, but do what you think is best.
I figure twice a year is unwarranted when 5 months are spent dormant (I leave it completely alone, no monthly starts). So with only 7 months of running time, oil changes are going to be an annual affair.

The only question I grappled with was whether the annual change ought to be in October before storage or April after storage. I suspect the summer use and accumulation of miles will be far worse for degrading/contaminating the oil than the small amount of condensed moisture from cold temperatures during winter storage. BTW I'm using Mobil1 10W30.

nsxtasy said:
I have heard that it is a good idea to change to oil before storing. This is to prevent deterioration of the metals in the engine due to acids and other corrosive compounds in used oil.

Back