• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Best Racing Sim: Forza or GT5?

Ok gents, the wife has given the go ahead for a gaming system :biggrin:

Primary use (other than my daughter playing some silly dancing game) will be, of course, a racing sim (with the wheel, pedals, shifter). My question to all you vets out there - which is better? GT5 is the latest and greatest (PS3), but how does it compare to the tried and true Forza 3 (xbox). Anything else out there comparable (any system including PC)? I'm looking for the closest experience to real world physics.

iRacing is an actual simulator as is rFactor. If you don't want to pay the monthly fees for iRacing, then r-Factor is your best bet. The console games look great but in the end they're not the best simulators.

I know of various instances where racing drivers practiced on Gran Turismo 5 and won races as a result of it. one example was this specialty Scion Tc race that some formula driver jumped into. Completely unfamiliar car, and unfamiliar track (Laguna Seca). Learned entry speeds onto turns and had very realistic handling characteristics and he won just because he practiced on GT5. Very realistic, I have it and it does help me out in track times (go kart tiems in real life increase). Absolutely amazing I'd say go for the PS3.

Forza 3 is a much better game. I don't think either are realistic driving simulators.

Most people who say gt5 is better have never played Forza 3.

Forza 3 is a much better game. I don't think either are realistic driving simulators.

Most people who say gt5 is better have never played Forza 3.

I haven't played GT5 yet, but saw it on display at a Best Buy. The graphics are nice, but that was really the only thing I liked. The exhaust notes for the cars seemed a little off too. I was planning on getting a PS3 specifically for GT5, but I noticed a lot of the critic reviews had a lower rating than when Forza 3 came out. Good news, I heard Forza 4 is coming out sometime in 2011.

So now I know there are real racing 'Sims' (iRace etc) and racing 'games' (GT5, Forza, etc). I know games like Forza and GT5 do have physics models in the game - so what's the main differentiatign factor between a 'Sim' and the 'Games'? I thought the high end ones like Forza 3 and GT5 were pretty realistic as far as car handling - the 'Sims' that much better? Reason I'm asking is I'm now weighing a cheapo PC gaming system (more expensive and less convenient) and a gaming system (cheaper and more convenient). Sorry if I'm dissecting this too much, tis my nature :tongue:

As far as console gaming goes, GT5 and Forza3 are the closest to a racing simulator using production cars. Typically console gaming is watered down a bit so it can cater toward a general audience. I haven't played any PC racing simulators in years, so I can't comment intelligently on that. However, PC gaming is pretty expensive. Namely, keeping up with the hardware requirements. If cost is not an issue and you enjoy upgrading drivers and hardware all the time, then the PC would be a good option. If your looking for something more casual, then a console gaming system is better.

That's a good point - that's what I'm debating right now, is it worth building out a mid-level gaming PC or just get the console and accept it's less of a simulator and more of a game. I have to say though - Iracing looks pretty cool, though it also looks like something I may become addicted to...

why are you doing it? If its for fun then just go with Forza or GT5. If you are training for next year's SCCA season then iracing is pretty cool but VERY VERY unforgiving. I tried driving a Solstice track car at Laguna Seca on iracing and it was very hard. The car was very unforgiving and I felt that the steering input was a bit off. Then again - it could have been my buddy's outdated Video graphics card.

Basically to get my performance driving fix while I'm holed up for the winter. I want something fun, with fairly accurate physics, with good wheel force feedback, etc. Maybe some of the sims are overkill...

Basically to get my performance driving fix while I'm holed up for the winter. I want something fun, with fairly accurate physics, with good wheel force feedback, etc. Maybe some of the sims are overkill...

GT5. It's fun, the physics are good enough to be entertaining (ie not an "arcade" type game) and most of all the PS3 is a Blueray player so you can also use it in your home theater.

How accurate are the physics? Close enough to give realistic character to to the individual cars. The NSX handles much differently than for example a Miata. The NSX in GT5 will understeer in slow corners, but is neutral in mid to high speed corners. It's also difficult to drift when the back end starts to come around. However, that being said - GT5 is alot more forgiving if for example you let off the gas abruptly mid corner which you could never do in the real car on the track.

Last edited:
Having played both iRacing and GT5...well iRacing is hardcore. No contact with other cars is a very desirable thing. GT5 is just fun. I have a nice wheel and pedal setup, and GT5 is fun. If you feel like tossing the car around, to you own demise, you can. Turn on all the assists, and you are pretty much bullet proof.

iRacing makes you focus on correct lines, car balance, racing in traffic without causing an accident. Great game. A true sim.

The wheel and pedals make a huge difference, as I will never drive a racing game with a standard controller again.

Don't know much about rFactor, but I understand it is a very realistic sim.

Cheers,
Merex

just a comment to add,

you could also try out the PC Live For Speed for free and that one is a good simulator which I'm told is on par with rfactor.

I hocked it up to a Logitech forcefeedback but I didn't like the feedback from the steering and I wasn't in the mood to see if it can be set up properly. If you're tight on time, just get GT5 and get some instant fun which is closely related to actual life.

I recently came across this. Not sure if it was posted here on Prime or elsewhere. But I thought maybe this can contribute to this thread.

<object height="385" width="640">

<embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/newX-mvGlm8?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="385" width="640"></object>

I recently came across this. Not sure if it was posted here on Prime or elsewhere. But I thought maybe this can contribute to this thread.

the real M3 in that video sounds like a V8. The M3 in GT5 in that video sounds like a vacuum cleaner.

I wonder what on earth were Polyphony doing for the past 5 years.

Back