• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

best road driving tire set up?

I have an extremely low mile car, which has the original wheels and Yoko tires. I would like to take them off to preserve them. I do not want to alter the car in any other way, besides a nice looking set of wheels and a great riding set of tires. It will see very few miles per year, like under 500. Any thoughts?

If they are the original Yoko tires, just be aware of dry-rot and the rubber becoming 'petrified' -loosing the chemical composition through time/heat cycles/evaporation/oxidation, etc... -they will become hard and plastic-like and not have the performance of a new tire.

What year car? Why not just stick with the factory 17/17 215/255 specifications?

It is a 92 with 1,965 miles on it. The tires are in excellent shape, I just know I cant replace them, and dont want anything to happen to them.

Hello - if you don't mind me asking - how much do you want to invest in this set up? Also, what style of driving during your time on the road?

Last edited:
I'd get a second set of OEM wheels. I think any aftermarket wheel that deviates from OEM on a car with a standard non lowered suspension will look odd.

If they are the original Yoko tires, just be aware of dry-rot and the rubber becoming 'petrified' -loosing the chemical composition through time/heat cycles/evaporation/oxidation, etc... -they will become hard and plastic-like and not have the performance of a new tire.

What year car? Why not just stick with the factory 17/17 215/255 specifications?

I echo Stuntman's suggestion. Unless you really want to keep the stock 15/16 setup.

In terms of tires, the Dunlop Z2 star spec have been well received and will be a great performer.

I agree with turbo2go with using the stock OEM wheels. It would be nice if you could locate a half way decent set so as to not blemish the looks of the car when you take it out. Maybe post a wanted set in that forum or go thru the parts for sale forum. Sometimes owners just try selling their stock wheels here on prime, some in great shape and others not so much. If you get a set of just to take your car out and they are a tad on the rough side , you could have them refurbished. Tires in that year of NSX were 205/50/15 and 225/50/16 and there is some good choices for you to make. Hope this helps. This is what was discussed a few weeks ago concerning the same issue -"There are two more advantages of the original 15"/16" stock '91-93 rims. One is tire availability; there's a huge selection of the stickiest tires available in the stock sizes, including "extreme performance" street tires as well as R compound track tires. Another is that you can fit a set of four wheels and tires inside the car, so you can drive to the track on your street tires and then swap to your track tires." In your case it would be it would to swap to your second set to preserve your primary set. Also discussed was this -
"Chrome wheels were never an option from the factory. All '91-93 NSX's sold in North America came from the factory with the five-spoke silver-painted wheels, with the silver plastic center caps. Any five-spoke chromed wheels were refinished by their owners, and any chrome center caps were purchased by their owners in the aftermarket."

"Used sets of stock '91-93 wheels are easy to find and very affordable, although it is easier to find ones that are so-so cosmetically than pristine ones. Center caps can be a bit tougher to find, although they are still available new from Acura if you don't mind the price ($88 list, each)." The quotes are from "nsxtasy" who is much respected here on Prime.

Last edited:
you've got 4 styles of oem wheels to choose from over the years.

In terms of tires, the Dunlop Z2 star spec have been well received and will be a great performer.

I don't think this is a good suggestion. This is a pretty hardcore tire just on the edge between a street and track tire. He wants a good ride and these have neither a good ride nor are they quiet in any way. And they wear fast. The AD08R is better for ride and a quieter tire but that too is hardcore. I think a set of continental sport contacts or various bridgestones that are not "extreme performance" would work better.

Get a new "used" set of wheels and tires. You can find those 15/16" sets here for virtually nothing. If you want to preserve the tires, they are so old anyway you might even damage them during the uninstall process. Get a set of RE-11's or equivalent or Yoko AD08s and call it a day.

p.s. If I was in your shoes, it sounds like you don't drive the snot out of this car anyway and it likely won't see any kind of inclement weather so any "decent" tire selection should fit your needs. Your primary concern is likely road noise.

you've got 4 styles of oem wheels to choose from over the years.

I can think of 5+
1) The 1991-1993, 5 spoke in 15"/16"
2) The 1994-2001, 7 spoke in 16"/17"
3) The 2002-2005, 7 spoke in 17"/17"
4) The 1999, BBS Zanardi edition wheels
5) The 1993-1995, Enkei NSX-R, 5 spoke 15"/16" wheels

?) The NSX-R spec 7 spoke 16/17 wheel (looks just like the 1994-2001, just lighter and painted white)
?) The NSX-R spec 7 spoke 17/17 wheel (looks like the 2002-2005 with minor differences and lighter)

indeed I omitted the zanardi type S wheels.

First of all, I am guessing you didn't buy the car new in '92, so you don't know when the tires were actually bought? In which case, check to see how old the tires are, and examine them to see if there is any cracking. To see how old the tires are, follow these instructions:

Determining the Age of a Tire

The Tire Rack says that the practical life of a tire is six to ten years from the date of manufacture, as noted here:

Tire Aging – Part #1
Tire Aging – Part #2

If the tires are more than ten years old and/or show significant cracking, replace them.

I don't see any need to replace your original 15"/16" wheels. If you want to do so for reasons of aesthetics, by all means do so, but otherwise, you can keep using them, with tires in the original sizes of 205/50-15 front and 225/50-16 rear.

As noted above, there are lots of choices for the stickiest "extreme performance" tires in those sizes, but since you're less concerned about performance and more concerned about ride comfort, you might be better off with some "ultra high performance summer tires". In that case, I recommend the Yokohama S.drive. Same thing if you decide to get an extra set of wheels from a '91-93 NSX, which are quite plentiful, although they can be more difficult to find if you insist on pristine condition.

If you decide to get OEM wheels from a later year NSX, I recommend the '94-01 wheels, which won't need spacers like the '02-05 do. Those wheels are 16"/17". Again, there are several "extreme performance" tires available, but since you're less concerned about performance and more concerned about ride comfort, I recommend an "ultra high performance summer tire", specifically the Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport in 205/45-16 and 245/40-17.

Last edited:
Why not update to a set of OEM 2002+ Wheels with Yokohama S-Drives. You should be able to find a nice set for about $2k give or take.

That's the set up I have on my '91, and for my driving style it would be hard to beat.

The only caveat is you'll have to install 5mm spacers in the front. I replaced my studs when I did my spacers, but Ken will be able to tell you if it's actually necessary.

Last edited:
Why not update to a set of OEM 2002+ Wheels with Yokohama S-Drives.
You can get better tires than that. Even if your preference is for ride comfort over performance, so you don't want to get the supersticky "extreme performance" tires, in the 17"/17" setup for those wheels (215/40-17 and 255/40-17) I recommend the Kumho Ecsta LE Sport, a "maximum performance" tire. I didn't mention them for the earlier wheels because they're not available in 15"/16" or 16"/17" sizes.

I replaced my studs when I did my spacers, but Ken will be able to tell you if it's actually necessary.
It shouldn't be necessary to replace the studs, but as noted, you'll need those spacers up front for the 2002-2005 wheels.

Just buy a set I have for sale from a 2000 with new Falken 452s and drive happy :)

I use my 15/16 5 spoke oem wheels.
They are light, extremely strong, have a wide choice of tire selection and because no one uses them anymore, look unique.

Keeping the OP's target of not wanting "to alter the car in any other way, besides a nice looking set of wheels and a great riding set of tires", with emphasis on "great riding", IMHO, finding a set of wheels to use as close as the 15/16" OEM set up as possible would be the way to go.

If I had the means: it'd be a set of custom TE-37 or CE28 in the 15/16" OEM dimensions: at roughly 8.8 (8.1) lbs and 13.3 (12.9) lbs for front and rear of the TE-37 (and CE28N) respectively, there's not a whole lot to not like.

Back