• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Best suspension

What is a better performing suspension for the NSX? Tein coilovers or the NSX-R setup? the NSX-R suspension is about double the price of the Tein coilovers. I have Tein in my current 300ZX and love it, but that is also a totally different car. All opinions are welcome. Thanks!

As you know, I have the R suspension. I have driven another car with NA1 R suspension, when compare to the adjustable suspension from other makers, the R suspension is still my choice. It is design for the NSX...

Dali occasionally get used R suspension for around $1500 bucks, they are worth every penny.

Good luck with your search

I had the Tein RAs with the optional 10kg/mm rear springs on my old NSX and my current NSX has the NA2 NSX-R setup. IMHO the NSX-R setup is more stable around corners and more comfortable, but the Tein's make your car look cooler. :wink:

If your budget includes the Type R suspension then you definitely need to consider the Comptech Pro Kit.
http://www.comptechusa.com/store/110105.html

Otto

I, and I think 8 others in North America, have the TODA RACING coilovers in my car.

I love and adore them. 50% stiffer than NSX-R on both ends, but it sure doesnt feel like it.

They've been awesome for me. Had an immediately positve and dramatic effect upon the handling of the car.

VTD:smile:

NSX-R all the way. I just recently helped my friend to replaced his old TEIN suspension on his NSX. He loves how the car handle now with his OEM NSX-R suspension. The TEIN rides comfortable, stable as well, but I kind of like the NSX-R suspension character better. My 2.

To me the advantage of the nsx-r susp is it is plug and play.It gives you great handling without the need to fiddle/corner ballance.IMO there is no other nonadjustable spring shock combo that can outperform the fancy coilover setups like the nsx-r.

collegeboy said:
What is a better performing suspension for the NSX? Tein coilovers or the NSX-R setup? the NSX-R suspension is about double the price of the Tein coilovers. I have Tein in my current 300ZX and love it, but that is also a totally different car. All opinions are welcome. Thanks!

Read this thread explaining the setup of my car and the 1.16g numbers attained on The Dragon.

Like otto_joe said, if you're budget includes the NSX-R suspension at $3260, then I highly recommended spending a few more bills to get the $3500 Comptech Pro kit.

I just got this done recently, and despite the lofty spring rates and cornering limits of the CT Pro kit, the car is softer now with this suspension than the tired 14-year old stock shocks/springs it replaced.

na14yu said:
I just got this done recently, and despite the lofty spring rates and cornering limits of the CT Pro kit, the car is softer now with this suspension than the tired 14-year old stock shocks/springs it replaced.

Sounds like you have the shocks set at full soft?

LarryB

Well if you want to talk about best suspension that can be debated on but here are a few of the best suspension out there from what I hear of............

http://scienceofspeed.com/products/suspension_performance_products/NSX/Moton/ <----4 way adjustables

http://www.jrzusa.net/products/race/ <----quad adjustable

or the RS Pro for street application more or the comptech pro...... both are good stuff

For people more on budget JIC FlTA2, HKS Hipermax II, etc

Everyone has their own opinion I think it all boils down to preference and budget.

Good luck

I have the R suspension and my cousin has the tein RA, we both like the R suspension better. My cousin even think the R suspension is worth the double of the price compare to Tein RA.
We do few track over a year, If you're into tracking and wouldn't mind spending time adjusting the shocks, spend a few more dollar on the comptech pro. One of the reason I got a R suspension is I don't like to make adjustment to the suspension all the time. I got mine used at a good deal too. :tongue:

The Type-R shocks are not rebuildable are they?
If not, thats a small downside. I doubt many people will drive enough miles to wear them out, but still..

Vancehu said:
As you know, I have the R suspension. I have driven another car with NA1 R suspension, when compare to the adjustable suspension from other makers, the R suspension is still my choice. It is design for the NSX...

Dali occasionally get used R suspension for around $1500 bucks, they are worth every penny.

Good luck with your search

Vance I just noticed that Nurburgring is misspelled in your signature. May want to correct that being you have Gan-San's suspension. :)

polar said:
I have the R suspension and my cousin has the tein RA, we both like the R suspension better. My cousin even think the R suspension is worth the double of the price compare to Tein RA.
We do few track over a year, If you're into tracking and wouldn't mind spending time adjusting the shocks, spend a few more dollar on the comptech pro. One of the reason I got a R suspension is I don't like to make adjustment to the suspension all the time. I got mine used at a good deal too. :tongue:

I'm the cousin here :biggrin: Well, to be more specific, the TeinRA never gives me any disapointment until I drove the nsx R set up Polar has. We had no funds nor time to do a suspension swap and to found out the real difference. (As both of our cars' set up is different). At the track, the nsx R gives you more feedback of what the car is doing without too much harshness and bouncing around bumps; and I felt it somehow gives you more control at the limit.

It took me 3 track days to get used to my TeinRA with MY car, meanwhile, I just had a brief 5 laps in Polar's car and I had never worried about the suspension set up and I alredy felt comfortable to push the car closed to adhesion limit. (He also had a 6 speed just installed, and I was worring about more at shift points as I had never driven a 6 speed nsx before.)

On the suggestion of getting comptech pro, if I had the $4k laying around, it's a no brainer for me to get that instead of the nsx R. I'm the kind of guy that likes everything customize JUST FOR ME, and I'm the firm believer that if you have the time and energy, you could get a lot better setup with an adj. suspension.

In addition to ediddynsx's suggestion, I had a chance to read that those crazy money-no-object nsx owners in Japan all features Quantum suspension. We did a search on the web, and except the normal Bs in marketing terms and expensive price tag, we found nothing or anyone in states side ever tried them. http://www.quantum.ne.jp/lineup.html

here's another simular question and might interest you... http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?p=542745

Last edited:
Depends on what Tein setup your going with but since I have owned Tein I can comment. I really dont care for them at all for the NSX or S2000. Cheaply made setup for the street and as Otto Joe mentioned makes your car look cooler, thats about it.

I say just use your OEM set until you can actually push the NSX to its limits. Once you achieve that, then go for some type of upgrade. If your going for looks (like a lot of us do) then pick up a set of JIC's or Bilstein's.

My best set up was Aragosta (tuned by Top Secret) and that IMO rivaled some of the top dogs such as Moton, Penske, etc. without the 7-10k price. Crux and Quantum are other great setups.

Price on these would be 4k-7k.

Larry Bastanza said:
Sounds like you have the shocks set at full soft?

LarryB

Hi Larry,

Yes I did neglect to mention the settings didn't I? :redface:

So to clarify what I had mentioned earlier. When the CT setup is set to full soft, I think the ride is more comfortable than stock.

I must be getting old.......
I have been using (with great results)
Koni shocks, Eibach springs & sway bars for yrs and yrs with great results.
Has worked wonders on 1/2 dozen different cars. And am happy as can be with this set up installed on my NSX. (But in all honesty have not ridden in every combination available today)
My old Vette had its orig Koni's installed in 1965 and they still worked great!
Just rambling....

Back