• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Best...Wax...Ever

:biggrin: Zaino on the Brain-O
Only way to truly shine!

Yeah, lotta replies about zaino. I like zaino. I used zaino for years. I turned my friends onto zaino. But...But, it never took care of those concentric swirls. Shined like the dickins. Like a mirror. Like a lake, man. But still the swirls. And now no swirls and a great shine using, gasp, wait, could it be? something OTHER than zaino? yup. So there are options, especially as in my case with the particular problem I was addressing, with black paint. Batman, that black looks great.
Uecker

The Z5 hides the swirls and Z2 gives it that wet shine.

Thanks for the props.

More pics of what washing and waxing with Zaino over the years:

batman16.jpg

batman10.jpg

batman40.jpg

And no, there is no photochop editing....... just a Nikon N90s with Kodak Royal Gold 100 35mm film.

I decided to take your advice and give the Zymol wax a try. I'll chime in once I get a chance to use it. I myself have a black nsx and it's such a pain to keep it clean, but I do what I have to and when it is clean boy does it look great!

Yeah, lotta replies about zaino. I like zaino. I used zaino for years. I turned my friends onto zaino. But...But, it never took care of those concentric swirls. Shined like the dickins. Like a mirror. Like a lake, man. But still the swirls. And now no swirls and a great shine using, gasp, wait, could it be? something OTHER than zaino? yup. So there are options, especially as in my case with the particular problem I was addressing, with black paint. Batman, that black looks great.
Uecker

I decided to take your advice and give the Zymol wax a try. I'll chime in once I get a chance to use it. I myself have a black nsx and it's such a pain to keep it clean, but I do what I have to and when it is clean boy does it look great!

The wax works well. The whole process though (the bar, the rinse, the 3m polishing glaze, the 3m hand glaze, and THEN the wax) was the point of the thread and the process through which I ended that damned swirliness.

And I can't possibly be the only owner with swirliness.

Maybe I should have titled it "a complicated cleaning, polishing, and waxing process for black paint which works well for eliminating a problem that only a major OCD-case would care about or even notice." Didn't have the same ring though. I always liked that comic book guy from Simpsons.

Uecker

oops I meant to say tjat I am doing all of your steps as stated in your previous post. I just didnt mention it since the main topic of everyones discussion wasn't the previous steps but just the actual wax you recommended so I just chimed in on that part.

The wax works well. The whole process though (the bar, the rinse, the 3m polishing glaze, the 3m hand glaze, and THEN the wax) was the point of the thread and the process through which I ended that damned swirliness.

And I can't possibly be the only owner with swirliness.

Maybe I should have titled it "a complicated cleaning, polishing, and waxing process for black paint which works well for eliminating a problem that only a major OCD-case would care about or even notice." Didn't have the same ring though. I always liked that comic book guy from Simpsons.

Uecker

after placing an order for zymol ebony wax about 2 weeks ago I got word back from amazon and a few other vendors saying the manf. no longer makes/offers this product.

just a fyi....

No longer made eh?

That sucks.

So, I have a partially-used tub o' Zymol Ebony up for sale! Let's start the bidding at $299!

Joking. No, really, that was a joke...I'm keeping my fancy black, need-to-keep-in-the-fridge wax.

And besides, it's merely a nice wax. Zymol (and others) makes a bunch of 'em. I'm sure many of these would work just fine...AFTER steps 1-8.

Uecker

What do you think of these...Zaino applied by hand.

15624Picture_1333.JPG

15624Picture_1332.JPG

I see fine swirl marks near the left tail light reflection.

Try some more Z5 Zaino.

Good catch, I noticed that as well. Instead of covering the swirls with Z5 you could use a light abrasive polish to actually remove them, then take the proper precautions to prevent future swirls from forming.

George

WARNING !!! Bigtime Newbie here... (as you can tell from my number of posts)

The car i just bought has a handful of rock chips and some misc. stuff.

Is fixing this kinda stuff and then going thru the processes ya'll are outlining here something a good detail shop should know how to do?

Or more accurately, since I have no ability or history with wanting and keeping a really nice exterior - what's the best way to get this done.

Thanks. Terrence

Good catch, I noticed that as well. Instead of covering the swirls with Z5 you could use a light abrasive polish to actually remove them, then take the proper precautions to prevent future swirls from forming.

George

ERGH.. I've found using Z5 to be of very little effectiveness in removing swirl marks. Do you have a specific product recommended?
I did some quick glancing on the Internet, and I've found that there are better products then Zaino ... just can't find them right now - albeit I have at least $100 dollars worth :cool:

WARNING !!! Bigtime Newbie here... (as you can tell from my number of posts)

Is fixing this kinda stuff and then going thru the processes ya'll are outlining here something a good detail shop should know how to do?

Or more accurately, since I have no ability or history with wanting and keeping a really nice exterior - what's the best way to get this done.

Thanks. Terrence

Rock chips are another matter. This is to eliminate the swirls and to get a deep shine. A "good detail shop" should be able to take care of you.

As to the second comment, I think you're asking what's the simplest way to get a reasonable shine? And, although the above process is easy to follow, it's quite labor-intensive and probably not right for you. You may consider a thorough wash and a coat of all-in-one liquid wax---they tend to be easier to take off than the paste.

Slownsxt:

Finally! Sweet Jebus finally someone agrees with me---Z5 doesn't get the swirls out.
So, since you asked, I'd recommend using the 3M products as outlined at the beginning of the thread, smearing some reasonably nice carnuba over it (I hear the P21S stuff is pretty nice...) and then standing back with a beer and enjoying your swirl-free deep and rich shine!

Uecker

George

A "light abrasive polish" like...perhaps...3M Foam Polishing Pad Glaze-Dark! The stuff works, man. And I'm sure there are many others too. And I agree with whomever wrote about prep---very important.

Another thing I just thought of that some may appreciate: Ryobi (I think it's a Home Depot brand) makes a cordless random polisher for like $25 as part of their Ryobi +One series. You've then got to get the 18V battery and, sure, you're in for another $18...but in the end you've got CORDLESS polishing.

Hell, you could use this purchase as the launching pad for your acquisition of the whole Ryobi +One line and keep flirting with the Home Depot chick ad infinitum.

Uecker

As noted above, the detailing products described here deal only with a finish that is in reasonably good shape, with superficial issues.

Smallish rock chips are best dealt with using touch-up paint. A search of previous topics and/or the rest of the internet will show you techniques. The tiniest rock chips are either not worth using touch-up paint on (if you can live with them) or else if they really bother you, you may want to consider getting your front end repainted by a body shop, preferably one with a lot of NSX experience. Just remember that, right after you do that, the process of accumulating chips will just start all over again.

ERGH.. I've found using Z5 to be of very little effectiveness in removing swirl marks. Do you have a specific product recommended?
I did some quick glancing on the Internet, and I've found that there are better products then Zaino ... just can't find them right now - albeit I have at least $100 dollars worth :cool:

One of Z5's biggest selling points is that it will hide and fill in imperfections. If those imperfections are deep enough, it may yield little results in masking the swirls or other imperfections. This would be the point where you would want to layer multiple coats of Z5, in efforts to try to hide more of the imperfections. I personally do not use Zaino, but I have to say it does have some perks over some brands in certain things like durability.

A "light abrasive polish" like...perhaps...3M Foam Polishing Pad Glaze-Dark! The stuff works, man. And I'm sure there are many others too. And I agree with whomever wrote about prep---very important.

Another thing I just thought of that some may appreciate: Ryobi (I think it's a Home Depot brand) makes a cordless random polisher for like $25 as part of their Ryobi +One series. You've then got to get the 18V battery and, sure, you're in for another $18...but in the end you've got CORDLESS polishing.

Hell, you could use this purchase as the launching pad for your acquisition of the whole Ryobi +One line and keep flirting with the Home Depot chick ad infinitum.

Uecker

3M makes some good polishes. If I didn't have access to the products I carried, I would probably use 3M or the Meguiars Professional Mirror Glaze Line (usually in the tan bottles) assuming I was looking to purchase something "off the shelf" of a typical retail store.

For removing swirls, I've had excellent luck with Menzerna's line of polishes and Optimums line as well.

One note on the polish you recommended, some of the cheaper polishers do not have enough power to effectively break down the polish to get the job done. They are perfectly fine for applying a product like a glaze, sealant or wax (Including Z2, Z5, etc.), but when you are trying to permanently remove imperfections with a light abrasive polish, it may or may not generate enough heat or may bog down when pressure is applied and burn out the motor. Just something to keep in mind since I've had a lot of customers be unsatisfied with results from using a buffer without enough juice.

George @ Detailed Image

Lots of shine, but not much depth...

I guess I asked for it...Pics don't do the car much justice...

I used two coats of Z-5 then Z-2 with Z-6 in between. Black cars don't get better than this.

I guess I asked for it...Pics don't do the car much justice...

I used two coats of Z-5 then Z-2 with Z-6 in between. Black cars don't get better than this.

Don't worry about it. Your car looks outstanding.

And, yeah, when you post a picture or a comment or whatever, you open yourself up to peoples' opinions. Good thing this website is as good, honest, supportive & friendly as it is. I'm surprised no one picked on me for the condition of my hood in the photos I posted...I mean, for Christ's sake, the surface of the moon is smoother! Unfortunately you can't hide much from a 10MB digital SLR.

Anyhow, Zaino is great stuff. There have been people (myself included) who feel that the shine lacks depth. Whatever. If it works for you, then it works for you. I applaud you for taking such good care of something you like.

Uecker

Your car's looking great! I know first hand how hard it is to keep the Black NSX clean.....When you guys get a chance take a look at the other detail thread i posted alot of pictures of my black nsx as well after this weekends detail job i did.

Back