• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Best window tinting in SoCal?

I wanna get my windows tinted - where is the best place to go for the $? And how much did you pay? Thanks

The best films are ceramic based. Two places come to mind. Songs Tint Masters in LA carries Huper Optik and are one of the few authorized installers, I think I heard they were actually the only one. Huper film is thicker and has better overall specs than any other ceramic film but it's harder to install. In SF Valley, there is Sunshield which carries the Formula One brand tint, they are in Sherman Oaks. There is another place in OC which sells the same film but I forget the name.

Songs is about $500 for a 5 window coupe. So the NSX should be a bit less. Sunshield runs about $250. If you go with Huper, don't go with anything less than the 40, 40 or darker.

The best films are ceramic based. Two places come to mind. Songs Tint Masters in LA carries Huper Optik and are one of the few authorized installers, I think I heard they were actually the only one. Huper film is thicker and has better overall specs than any other ceramic film but it's harder to install. In SF Valley, there is Sunshield which carries the Formula One brand tint, they are in Sherman Oaks. There is another place in OC which sells the same film but I forget the name.

Songs is about $500 for a 5 window coupe. So the NSX should be a bit less. Sunshield runs about $250. If you go with Huper, don't go with anything less than the 40, 40 or darker.

Wow $500? for 3 windows I would think it should be about half that...

Yea I want to do 35% all around... 40% might be too dark no? I dont want to be any more of a cop magnet! :)

Wow $500? for 3 windows I would think it should be about half that...

Yea I want to do 35% all around... 40% might be too dark no? I dont want to be any more of a cop magnet! :)

35 is darker than 40. Remember, 40 is 40% light visibility. Huper only comes in a few shades.

The $500 pricetag is mainly cuz of the back curved window which is by far the hardest part. For the NSX it's fairly easy since it's removable and it's easily accessible. I would guess you might be able to negotiate it down to $300. I paid $500 for my E92 M3. They also can do the front windshield which is really nice since a lot of heat comes through there.

Whatever you do, try to get yourself ceramic film. If anything will convince you, Song's has a lightbox demo where you can feel the heat difference between ceramic and dyed film. If that doesn't convince you to go ceramic, nothing will...

I went to Sun Dimmers. They carry Formula One Pinnacle series which is ceramic based. Have it on my NSX and Civic. They can give you an estimate on the phone.

Sun Dimmers

I know a guy who does tinting for commercial properties. He also does high-end luxuries cars (porsche, BMW, etc) on the side. I had my M3 tinted by him and after 4 years, the tint still looked brand new. Excellent quality. Great friendly guy. High recommended on the M3 forum. The only bad thing was he's a little expensive. He charged me $200 to tint my 2003 M3.

I'm at work right now but if you're interested, let me know and i'll get you his contact info when i get home. He lives and works in Orange County.

John
(714) 206-8213

Last edited:
oh, they worked on my friends NSX before and i am goin to bring my car there to take off my old tint and put on a new one.
They have fair pricing too.

They also can do the front windshield which is really nice since a lot of heat comes through there.

Just curious--wouldn't front windshield tint just be asking for it from the cops? Is there a tint they can use on the front that gives sun protection without appearing tinted? How much do ceramic tints affect radar detector sensitivity?

Just curious--wouldn't front windshield tint just be asking for it from the cops? Is there a tint they can use on the front that gives sun protection without appearing tinted? How much do ceramic tints affect radar detector sensitivity?

It should not affect radar. If you go 50% or higher on the front windshield, it's actually quite difficult for a cop to spot out.

It should not affect radar. If you go 50% or higher on the front windshield, it's actually quite difficult for a cop to spot out.

how so? Dont they have meters to check this stuff?

how so? Dont they have meters to check this stuff?

I meant it's hard for the cop to spot you and see that you have a tinted windshield. It's not something they would easily notice as you drove by or even if they pulled you over. If they got real picky and wanted to check your windshield with a meter they could. But just having a really light ceramic film up front will cut out a ton of heat and UV.

Sunshield Glass Tinting in Sherman oaks. I have taken over 20 cars to him. He does a great job and not too expensive. The number is 818-906-8468.

Last edited:
I had the windows done on my Aston Martin last weekend. The guy I used was highly recommended by people I trust and I was not disappointed. I paid $300 for 35% tint on the sides and rear windows. The guy is mobile and cuts the material on-site to fit your car - no precut patterns. Here's his info:

Tint Perfection
Foothill Ranch
Doug Coglitore
949-646-TINT (8468)

DaveG

I had the windows done on my Aston Martin last weekend. The guy I used was highly recommended by people I trust and I was not disappointed. I paid $300 for 35% tint on the sides and rear windows. The guy is mobile and cuts the material on-site to fit your car - no precut patterns. Here's his info:

Tint Perfection
Foothill Ranch
Doug Coglitore
949-646-TINT (8468)

DaveG

Thanks Dave! Got any pictures of your Aston Martin? I looooove those cars! :D

Thanks guys! Lots of leads... I'll post pics once I get it done :) :D

What about Acutint in Montclair? I've heard of NSXs going there as well. Very reputable shop, from what I can tell. www.acutint.com

Back