• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

BF Goodrich G Force Sport - feedback

I am running BF Goodrich G Force Sport tires on stock rims and having some trouble when the road is wet! In particular (in the rain) I have zero traction on any painted surfaces such as crosswalks, turn arrows, centerlines etc. I really have to watch it when I am driving over the crosswalk as the car can fishtail a foot or two even with little or no power applied :eek:

Also having difficulty where there is roadwork repairs. The squiggly tar lines applied to cracks in the road. I have to really slow down to keep from slipping all over the place.

Is this just to be expected? Could my TCS be acting up? or was this a poor choice of tire?

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/overview/g-force-sport/2964.html

Thanks in advance! :smile:

The treadwear rating is 340 and there less then a $100 each .... :confused: what you expect ?

I wouldnt put anything on this car with anything higher then a 220 TW rating .... you own a sports car and it should have some decent tires at least

Last edited:
OK this helps :rolleyes: I had to replace the tires when I took possession of the vehicle 2 months ago. (The tires on the vehicle where worn to the cords from a misalignment ) I had my Acura dealer source the tires for me as they were replacing fluids, battery etc for me to get the car on the road. I assumed they would provide OEM tires to get me started but apparently they had difficulty getting the right ones. I will do some more homework here and get myself up to speed on which brand/model work the best. thx :cool:

OK this helps :rolleyes: I had to replace the tires when I took possession of the vehicle 2 months ago. (The tires on the vehicle where worn to the cords from a misalignment ) I had my Acura dealer source the tires for me as they were replacing fluids, battery etc for me to get the car on the road. I assumed they would provide OEM tires to get me started but apparently they had difficulty getting the right ones. I will do some more homework here and get myself up to speed on which brand/model work the best. thx :cool:

Problem is they dont make the stock OEM tires for 94's anymore I forget if they are Yokohamas or Bridgestones. No matter which tire you get important things to check are the treadwear rating and speed rating. Get a tire with at least a Z rating and the lower the treadwear number usually means the softer the compound and stickier the tire. The tradeoff for a longer lasting tire is performance.

Its a okay 'value' tire. I have them on my miata. Its not that terrible so I think you may have a problem elsewhere.

What tire sizes are you running and what tire pressure front and rear? Maybe check your alignment...

F: 205/45/16
R: 245/40/17

Not sure on the pressure. What do you recommend?

I was just reading in the tire FAQ and see that using the same grip tire all the way around will result in oversteer. Apparently the OEM tires where softer in the rear. http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/TireWheel/tiretech.htm
I am a bit skeptical on half of what is written in the FAQ. Yes on face-value, using a softer rear tire than front will result in understeer, then using the same grip tires all around will relatively result in (more) oversteer.

I wouldn't think too much about this, nor would I fall into the trap of OEM-loyalists who claim that no tire/combination will generate more grip than the OEM tires. Pick a decent credible tire, make sure your stagger is proper, and you have a good alignment.

You can tune your car's handling characteristics greatly by alignment and tire pressures alone. For the OP: check to make sure your alignment is not out of wack and try the same pressures all around as a start.

Alright that made a huge improvement! I was running 30# on the front with 25# on the back. Now I am at 33# all the way around and I have way more grip in the rain and my back is a lot more stable :smile: I will keep an eye on the tread wear :rolleyes: thx Billy

I have been 'punching' it in the rain for the last few days. I don't know why I was whining about traction before :confused: I guess 20 years of driving a front wheel drive has effected my transition to the nsx. I am gaining more confidence in the vehicle. :rolleyes:

The pressures recommended for the NSX are 33 psi front, 40 psi rear. I've found that those generally work the best; I wouldn't go lower than 38 psi in the rear. These are measured cold (i.e. when the car has been sitting at least an hour, out of the sun, at the same temperature as it will be driven in).

You can't judge the quality of tires from the treadwear rating. The BFG g-Force Sport is indeed a "value" tire. You can get much better tires than that. On the Tire Rack website, concentrate on "extreme performance summer tires" for the best traction, "maximum performance summer tires" if you want a bit more treadlife and you're willing to trade a bit of performance to get it.

Last edited:
The pressures recommended for the NSX are 33 psi front, 40 psi rear. I've found that those generally work the best; I wouldn't go lower than 38 psi in the rear. These are measured cold (i.e. when the car has been sitting at least an hour, out of the sun, at the same temperature as it will be driven in).

You can't judge the quality of tires from the treadwear rating. The BFG g-Force Sport is indeed a "value" tire. You can get much better tires than that. On the Tire Rack website, concentrate on "extreme performance summer tires" for the best traction, "maximum performance summer tires" if you want a bit more treadlife and you're willing to trade a bit of performance to get it.

I will put some more in the rear :tongue: That should firm it up some more. Thanks!

If you are tracking your car, I would shoot for between 36-40psi HOT (measured immediately when you come off the track with no cool down lap) - all around. Depending on ambient temperatures, a good cold pressures to set them at before you go out is 32-35psi hot all around.

For the street, the 33/40psi cold recommendation won't hurt but I still prefer around 36psi in the rear.

Be sure to check your tire pressures once a month, minimum of every other month. Your biggest problem was the 25psi rear which is far too low. Keep playing around with them but the general rule of thumb is you don't want your pressures too much higher than 40psi hot on street tires.

Billy

Back