• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Big Bore Throttle Body

Has anyone had experience with upgrading to a big bore throttle body? I have the Comptech headers with Taitec GTLW exhaust and am wondering if going to a big bore throttle body would provide additional performance benefits.

Thanks

I have asked a similar question before because it seems like a logical thing to do and NSX-wise speaking also a relatively easy and not so expensive modification.
I don't think your top-end power would increase but it should give you better throttle-response so your engine should rev a little quicker and if that is so it should therefore also accelerate a little quicker.
However, I have never seen any figures to substantiate this.

After upgrading your headers & exhaust you'll find that there will be slight airflow bottlenecking at the throttle body.

By maximizing airflow efficiency the big-bore (typically a 5mm full-length overbore) will significantly increase throttle response and, according to SOS, actually has shown between 1-2 HP gains.

I certainly noticed the increased throttle response particularly in the low RPM range.

Bottlenecking at the intake manifold doesn't really occur until FI is introduced.

NSXGMS said:
After upgrading your headers & exhaust you'll find that there will be slight airflow bottlenecking at the throttle body.

By maximizing airflow efficiency the big-bore (typically a 5mm full-length overbore) will significantly increase throttle response and, according to SOS, actually has shown between 1-2 HP gains.

I certainly noticed the increased throttle response particularly in the low RPM range.

Bottlenecking at the intake manifold doesn't really occur until FI is introduced.

Thanks for the input. So what I understand is that using this actually DOES increase the performance of your car. Are you using the BBTB with the stock airbox and intake or do you have these modified as well.
For your information, I am using the Taitec headers and the Taitec Competition exhaust (discontinued model) and have the Cantrell air-intake with stock air-bob and Dali Racing chip.

MvM said:
Thanks for the input. So what I understand is that using this actually DOES increase the performance of your car. Are you using the BBTB with the stock airbox and intake or do you have these modified as well.
For your information, I am using the Taitec headers and the Taitec Competition exhaust (discontinued model) and have the Cantrell air-intake with stock air-bob and Dali Racing chip.

I have a similar setup: Cantrell AIS, DC headers, Dali Rice Rocket exhaust and the Dali chip. I'm running the stock airbox & filter b/c no other intake system has proven more effective for the NSX.

With your setup you're experiencing the bottlenecking I described. If you're trying to maximize your car's performance then it is the next logical step. You should notice the throttle response in the low RPMs. As far as WOT in VTEC I can't say it's noticeable but SOS claims 1-2 HP. And you get a nice deposit-free TB to replace the caked-up one that you have now.:wink:

Is it worth the ~$300? Compared to the $/HP ratio you get w/ headers or exhausts or chips I'd say no. But the truth is there is some degree of bottlenecking. And if doing everything you can to increase performance is what's important to you than it's worth every penny.

Thanks for the input :smile:

Since my car is in the final stages of its repair I have not had the change to dyno it with the new Taitec headers and Cantrell intake. I am planning to do this soon after the car is back on the road again.
As it stands now, I am planning to do the BBTB mod next and then I will dyno the car again. I will post the results when I have them (my guess, in about two-three months from now)

NSXGMS said:
I have a similar setup: Cantrell AIS, DC headers, Dali Rice Rocket exhaust and the Dali chip. I'm running the stock airbox & filter b/c no other intake system has proven more effective for the NSX.

With your setup you're experiencing the bottlenecking I described. If you're trying to maximize your car's performance then it is the next logical step. You should notice the throttle response in the low RPMs. As far as WOT in VTEC I can't say it's noticeable but SOS claims 1-2 HP. And you get a nice deposit-free TB to replace the caked-up one that you have now.:wink:

Is it worth the ~$300? Compared to the $/HP ratio you get w/ headers or exhausts or chips I'd say no. But the truth is there is some degree of bottlenecking. And if doing everything you can to increase performance is what's important to you than it's worth every penny.

Are there any possible downsides to this mod??

BladesNSX said:
Are there any possible downsides to this mod??

Only HP/$.

There's certainly no downside to optimizing airflow efficiency and increasing throttle response...

spending $300 for 1HP might not be your cup of tea but you do get what's described.

I certainly noticed the increased throttle response.

Has anyone that has a CTSC done this mod? Any dyno #'s pre/post?

Back