• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Bilstein ride height problem

OK, bought new bilsteins for my '91. Got a call from my mechanic saying "did you know that your new shocks will reduce your ride height by 1" on the upper perch and 2" on the lower perch?" WTH? It was my understanding that the upper was stock height and the lower was like 7/8" lower. I trust my mechanic implicitly and he is well respected in our community. I want the stock ride height. Any one have any insight on what is going on? Bought them through Autoparts Warehouse. Fronts 24-016636 and rears 24-016650.

afaik your mechanic is right ...so where did you get the preconception of stock ride height?

From these forums. So are all the bilsteins routinely an inch shorter?

My understanding was the top perch was about 7/8 shorter on oem springs

shows how much I know about the bilsteins :redface:

My understanding is the same as Zippy's.... they can be stock height or 7/8 lower, depending on the perch used.... did the supplier send the correct shocks?

My understanding is the same as Zippy's.... they can be stock height or 7/8 lower, depending on the perch used.... did the supplier send the correct shocks?

ok,rub it in...:wink:

I have Bilsteins with stock springs on the lower perch and its definitely not 2" lowered.

Upper perch is stock ride hight.

Bernhard

Because he measured the difference between the stock shocks and the bilsteins.

Because he measured the difference between the stock shocks and the bilsteins.

He is confused ... I have bilsteins on lower perch... It's about an inch lower then stock...I wish it was just a tad bit lower...the upper Perch is stock setting.

concur... When I use Bilsteins the drop was just under an inch. My friends that use Bilsteins experience the same amount of drop. That's why I wondered if somehow the wrong shock was shipped to your mechanic... Is that a possibility?

Pretty sure I got the correct ones. I just now drove home with it-feels great. My mechanic said after he finished the install and took it for a drive to settle the suspension. He measured the drop by comparing how much room there was to get the jack under it. It was more like 1/2" than 1" drop. In any event I'm happy with it.

Back