• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Bilsteins with Comptech Sport Springs - Problem

Guys,

I have Bilsteins on lower perch with Comptech sport springs. The unit went out of alignment and I burned up a set of rear tires. The suspension is too low and can't be aligned to specs. We are looking to see if the Comptech springs are sagging. Anyone have any problems like this?

Move to the upper perch.

Still will eat tires, just not that bad. Dial out the toe in the back, cuts back on "scrub", will also help.

You said "unit went out of alignment". So it was IN alignment for a while, then it just went OUT of alignment?

Thanks for the comments. Putting Bilsteins on higher perch did not help enough. Will compare new comptech sport springs with current set to see if any settling has taken place.

I think the alignment was good at installation of springs and shocks. The place where I had the work done does superior work. They are working on it now.

The recommendation to adjust the toe in toward neutral is probably a good one.

Kim

I have the same setup as you. The Springs did sag about 3/4 of an inch after 6 months. This winter I'm moving the springs to the top perch. If that is too high, I'm taking the shocks to a mechanic and having a new grove machined in between the top and bottom perch.

As long as the car is lowerd more than approx 1/2 inch, you are going to have camber problems in the rear, the lower your car the worse the problem, I have been waiting for somebody to make a camber kit for the rear, but so far I have seen no real solutions, if somebody could just C&C some shorter lower control arms, we may be getting somewhere.

Sounds like the concensus is:

1) Comptech springs sag up to 3/4 inches over time.
2) Drop from combination of Comptech sport springs and Bilsteins on lower perch does not allow factory alignment specs to be met and excessive tire wear should be expected. This condition is aggrevated by the spring sag over time.
3) Best combination may be stock springs with Bilstein shocks on lower perch.

My car is in work this week to deal with this issue. Let's see what that tells us.

As a lot of guy's have noted, the stock springs on lower perch yield about a 3/4 to 7/8 in. drop. IMO it looks nice, and I was able to get the rears to -2 deg. camber, which isn't too extreem. The car handel's nice, looks good, and will give me acceptable tire life, ( I hope!)

Back