• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Blacklisted in an industry?

Inspired from jlindy's thread, I didn't want steer his thread in another direction.

Anyway, I used to work in a big industry as a temp/contracter and was fired. I worked in an office where there was a good degree of personal politics involved on a daily basis. I learned this was an environment where the adage "It's not what you know, It's who you know" held true. And those who kissed butt got the raises, good reviews, and liberties to get away with certain things - as is evident from me and others sharing our year end reviews outside of the office.

Bottom line, I didn't kiss butt, subsequently got on bad terms with the boss, and was let go for something miniscule enough that anyone else would have simply gotten a verbal warning for, if even that.

(Because this is the internet and anyone may be reading, as well as not to sound whiny or bore people with my story, I'll spare you all of the details of what goes on in this office, as well as the specific industry.)

I have (less now) than 180 days to make a claim with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, and have had several people encourage me to do so, including now former coworkers, but those who are against it have a valid point:

How will this effect me in the future when future prospective employers see I made a discrimination claim?

I'm also having a hard time now finding similar work that pays the same.
Can anyone give me some advice on how to deal with the employee referals?

For obvious reasons I don't want them contacting my previous employer since there are those issues of personal politics and bias involved.

Im in a position within my company that I hire and fire people all the time. I can tell you that in Texas I CAN NOT discuss in any terms the reason that someone was let go. That makes me liable for slander. I can only verify length of employment. This is per many work force commision seminars that I am made to attend each year. Hope this helps in some way. If they do contact your previous employer and they "bad mouth" you, yau are in for one large settlement my friend. You will be able to sue the company as well as the individual.

beeker16 said:
I have (less now) than 180 days to make a claim with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission

How does this qualify as an EEOC claim? "People who do not kiss butt" are not a protected class. Valid EEOC claims are for discrimination based on

* Equal Pay
* National Origin
* Pregnancy
* Race
* Religion
* Sex
* Sexual Harassment

Just forget about it and move on.

xsn said:
How does this qualify as an EEOC claim? "People who do not kiss butt" are not a protected class. Valid EEOC claims are for discrimination based on

* Equal Pay
* National Origin
* Pregnancy
* Race
* Religion
* Sex
* Sexual Harassment

Just forget about it and move on.

sent you a pm.

loNfast - thanks for the feedback!
thats rather comforting.

Sorry about your misfortune. Same thing happened to me when I was younger (twice). Live and learn, then find a job where results matter.

Back